lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
United-Kingdom
GANGNAM STYLE by PSY video spreads like a virus online and have now reached the skies as Air Malta made a PSA (Public Service Announcement) discouraging the use of phones in flight.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qNq0hT1VkTc[/video]

Air Malta is a company i have flown with countless times, having gone to school on the Island in the 80's, great memories of riding in the old Boeing 720B over to Tripoli Libya every few months to visit parents, then onto a Libyan Arab F27 to ferry us down into the desert, some scary moments, but great aircraft... Turbulence nor any sort of dodgy landing phases anyone who was brought up on these birds landing on sandy strips in the middle of nowhere..
Air Malta then moved to a 737 fleet before the A320 took control. Great airline, lovely place.
Not sure what Libyan Arab have done, used to be all 727's maybe 707 if i remember correctly...

Just a little reminiscence, glad i found this forum :cry:

Bad news: Air Malta seem to be making cuts to the UK network.

Manchester- Route being axed.
London Heathrow- Frequency being reduced.

They are adding more capacity on some of their European routes such as Amsterdam and Paris.

Last edited:

Between 110 and 120 administrative staff would be transferred out of the company to other public sectors as part of a voluntary transfer scheme that would remain open until January 28, local media report.

In addition, Air Malta would close down its ground handling operation in the second quarter of 2022, leading to a further loss of 300 workers, who would be offered similar inter-governmental transfers down the line.

[…] In another cost-saving measure, the airline reportedly has dropped plans to acquire two A321-200NX(XLR)s after abandoning its long-haul plans. It now wants to lease three A320-200Ns instead.

Pandemic asside I did wonder if Ryanair AKA Malta Air would ultimately lead to the demise of Air Malta. I really hope this isn't a slippery slope for Air Malta. Fingers crossed for a more fruitful 2022 for the airline.

Reading the article, it seems to be more a case of new management and cutting unprofitable routes in order to allow new state aid.
I read it the same but the way I understood it was that it would also mean the airline would no longer be known as Air Malta. I expect this is the most likely scenario legally following a restructure which likely requires state aid which isn't permitted in the EU. This is might not be the case if it is considered as a new venture. Perhaps our resident legal guru might be able to fathom it out? @JENNYJET

By reaching into the depths of my memory of reading EU Law for my English LL.B, State aid for ailing but important entities of the country is permitted if it not intended to create an advantage commercially over other member states. The EU in itself does not provide "State Aid" for companies independant of the country's structures as UK found out with British Steel, a privatised company no longer funded by the state ownership model. The EU may assist if natural disaster strikes such as flooding and earthquake. Greece is in receipt of EU assistance for this reason. It is a complex area of Law because the EU has primacy over member states laws when it affects the interests of other member states. This is why Brexit occured.

What Malta is doing, as I understand it, is a restructure and was seeking assistance from a huge money pot. In US, there is Chapter Eleven Bankruptcy Protection and in UK, it is Formal Legal Administration ( to find a way to keep a business running or to aid the sale of same ). The transfer of staff to other areas of state interest is how I have read the article in order to keep the airline flying.

This is my very simple take on the matter, anything more detailed would probably get me booted off the forum and it is not gospel, EU Law has changed significantly since Brexit and I have not kept up with it.

According to an article in the TTGmedia.com Air Malta is to close and then become KM Malta Airlines as part of the restructure. It says the new airline will only serve Gatwick and Heathrow in the UK. The full article is here

It will be the end of an era.

Air Malta 1974 - 2023
full

full

full

full

full

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock