KLM go head to head with Easyjet and other airlines on AMS on routes all over. I doubt it was because of that. For KLM can they get passengers connecting through AMS without effecting MAN. That's probably what they will be concerned about.

KLM go head to head with Easyjet and other airlines on AMS on routes all over. I doubt it was because of that. For KLM can they get passengers connecting through AMS without effecting MAN. That's probably what they will be concerned about.

But an airline can't operate a route solely on transfer passengers, and easyJet would likely have come out on top for P2P travellers.

With MAN's growing long haul network, KLM are likely to lose passengers at MAN to other carriers (Cathay, Singapore, Hainan, etc). Likewise travelers from the Liverpool area may use those connections over KLM as well, so flying to LPL direct would help to keep those passengers flying with KLM. Certainly operating somewhere between a daily and double daily service to LPL isn't going to harm their operations at MAN any more than other airlines launching direct long haul routes to MAN.

As I said before Yield, Easyjet will well and truly undercut KLM for P2P and from what
I was told got their fingers burnt last time.

Other than forum speculation we don't know that.

I find it very difficult to believe when we know some of the lowest populated areas of the country have managed to sustain a regular flight with KLM to Amsterdam. Liverpool is hardly a village or hamlet.
Think if you mean the east coast flights they are well used by the rather large petro chemical industries either side of the north Sea, who use the front end of the aircraft a lot.

I have had no need to make a moderator comment on this thread previously however there appears to have been a little bit of "non-appropriate" comment creeping in over the last 24 hours.

Can I please request that politeness is always maintained, as has been the case in the past.

This forum has a good reputation and I would hate to see it loosing that standard.

Out of interest I will try and do some research into stats for the Manchester to Amsterdam route during the period in question and see how it might have been effected.

Many thanks for your understanding of my request for respect between members.

Liverpool Statistics - December 2017 (Part 1)

Two domestic statistic are currently missing from the CAA report for December .

Belfast City and Jersey
Total passengers for this route in December were 12,554

Moving monthly and annual figures - based on CAA statistics

Monthly passengers - 339,327 +0.2%
Moving Annual Total - 4,896,603 +2.5%

Monthly Movements - 2,603 -5.5%
Moving Annual Movements - 35,442 -7.5%

Liverpool Statistics -December 2017 (Part 2)

Top 25 destinations - by passenger numbers

foreign_airport....................total_pax_this_period

BELFAST INTERNATIONAL......42,303
DUBLIN...............................31,743
ISLE OF MAN........................21,426
AMSTERDAM.........................17,355
ALICANTE.............................15,349
GENEVA...............................14,399
MALAGA...............................12,702
BARCELONA..........................11,880
KRAKOW................................8,593
IRELAND WEST(KNOCK)...........7,849
CORK.....................................7,355
WARSAW (MODLIN MASOVIA)...6,339
ARRECIFE...............................6,325
BERLIN (SCHONEFELD)............6,290
FARO.....................................5,888
MADRID.................................5,745
PARIS (CHARLES DE GAULLE)...5,525
CITY OF DERRY (EGLINTON).....5,455
PRAGUE.................................5,368
BUCHAREST (OTOPENI)...........5,217
ROME (FIUMICINO).................4,987
FUERTEVENTURA....................4,557
WROCLAW.............................4,249
GDANSK................................4,026
NICE.....................................3,856

CAA statistics for December are provisional.

Liverpool Statistics - December 2017 (Part 3)

Top 25 destinations with highest percentage increase.
View attachment 7501
CAA statistics for December are provisional.

Liverpool Statistics - December 2017 (Part 4)

Comparison of top 25 destinations - December 2007 versus December 2017

Destination airport......................Dec-07...........Dec-17
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL...............30,610............42,303
AMSTERDAM..................................23,813...........17,355
DUBLIN.........................................22,956...........31,743
ALICANTE......................................15,815...........15,349
PARIS (CHARLES DE GAULLE)..........15,216.............5,525
MALAGA........................................14,946...........12,702
GENEVA........................................13,313...........14,399
BELFAST CITY (GEORGE BEST)........12,224............TBA
KRAKOW.......................................11,103.............8,593
BARCELONA...................................10,990...........11,880
MADRID........................................10,567.............5,745
PALMA DE MALLORCA.....................10,554.............2,693
ROME (CIAMPINO)*.........................8,638...................0
MURCIA SAN JAVIER........................8,095...................0
BERLIN (SCHONEFELD)....................7,805.............6,290
COLOGNE (BONN)...........................7,769...................0
NICE.............................................7,503..............3,856
CITY OF DERRY (EGLINTON)............6,898...............5,455
WARSAW (CHOPIN)**.....................6,627...............3,638
BASLE MULHOUSE..........................6,522.....................0
SHANNON......................................6,486.....................0
CORK............................................6,473...............7,355
BERGAMO......................................6,208.....................0
GIRONA.........................................5,817.....................0
FARO.............................................5,531...............5,888

* Services to Rome switched from Ciampino to Fiumicino airports - Fiumicino 2017 - 4,987
** Services now split between Chopin and Modlin airports - Total 2007 - 6,627/Total 2017 - 9,977

CAA are statistics for December are provisional.

From 2009 to 2011 roughly the period of KLM ops from LPL the passenger figures for KLM at MAN increased,hardly a flight that was being affected by competition down the road.
What you understand to be the case is just a spotters fantasy more suited to a caravelle related forum.

I said that I would have a check of my statistics, which go back to 2005, for Manchester.

Manchester/Amsterdam (Annual passengers - all airlines)
2005 - 588,865
2006 - 607,215
2007 - 560,891
2008 - 462,697
2009 - 470,184
2010 - 437,279
2011 - 612,366
2012 - 669,681
2013 - 687,620
2014 - 728,198
2015 - 853,427
2016 - 1,013,260
2017 - 1,041,792

The Liverpool service operated between 29th March 2009 and 25th March 2012. The statistics would therefore appear to show that, despite suggestions to the contrary, the Liverpool route did possibly undermine the operation out of Manchester.

Last edited:
Was that not the dates that all airport were in free fall due to the crash Manchester
started its drop. Just looked and yes started its huge drop October 2008 and started to recover
April 2011which ties in perfectly, therefore it was most likely the crash that caused the dip
not Liverpool but probably also caused KLM to leave Liverpool because yields dropped
over that period, had KLM hung on for a year or so it might have changed

Thank you Mullion for adding extra background information. I think we can assume therefore that the combination of events probably caused the demise if the route.

LJLA handled almost 5m passengers in 2017 and that momentum is being maintained this year with growth in January and February coming in at 2% and 4% respectively. Tony McDonough reports

Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA) says passengers numbers in the first two months of this year are up by 20,000 on the same period last year – a 3% rise.

LJLA handled almost 5m passengers in 2017 – its highest figure since 2011 – and that momentum is being maintained into 2018 with growth in January and February coming in at 2% and 4% respectively.

It is the busiest January and February at the airport since 2010 with new destinations proving popular with travellers.

Many passengers have been choosing to take advantage of flights to warmer destinations including Alicante in southern Spain and Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, while others have been heading off in search of even more snow with destinations such as Geneva and Salzburg proving popular.

Growth is expected to continue during the year with six new routes having already been announced from Liverpool for 2018 with Blue Air to operate new flights to Palma and Malaga, easyJet to serve Pula, Dalaman and Palermo and Ryanair to fly to Shannon.

Paul Winfield, director of aviation development for LJLA, said: “2018 is already proving to be another good year for the Airport with encouraging passenger numbers using Liverpool.

“The airport has seen 70,000 more passengers use Liverpool than in February three years ago.”

LJLA handled almost 5m passengers in 2017 and that momentum is being maintained this year with growth in January and February coming in at 2% and 4% respectively. Tony McDonough reports

Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA) says passengers numbers in the first two months of this year are up by 20,000 on the same period last year – a 3% rise.

LJLA handled almost 5m passengers in 2017 – its highest figure since 2011 – and that momentum is being maintained into 2018 with growth in January and February coming in at 2% and 4% respectively.

It is the busiest January and February at the airport since 2010 with new destinations proving popular with travellers.

Many passengers have been choosing to take advantage of flights to warmer destinations including Alicante in southern Spain and Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, while others have been heading off in search of even more snow with destinations such as Geneva and Salzburg proving popular.

Growth is expected to continue during the year with six new routes having already been announced from Liverpool for 2018 with Blue Air to operate new flights to Palma and Malaga, easyJet to serve Pula, Dalaman and Palermo and Ryanair to fly to Shannon.

Paul Winfield, director of aviation development for LJLA, said: “2018 is already proving to be another good year for the Airport with encouraging passenger numbers using Liverpool.

“The airport has seen 70,000 more passengers use Liverpool than in February three years ago.”
Has the airport given a projection for the year-end 2018 figure?

CAA figures for Feb show a 4 % rise with average load factors of 85%. 42% of routes are carrying more than 90% load factors. I noticed a big increase on Alicante showing 33 % increase. Blue Air's Bergamo and Rome have increased also which is pleasing to see.

Growth in passenger numbers continued at Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA) during March as passenger numbers rose by 7% compared to March 2017.

Over 390,000 passengers travelled through the Airport last month contributing to a first quarter increase in business of over 4% compared to last year. Well over 1 million passengers chose to use the Airport during the first three months of this year - over 45,000 more than in 2017 and the highest first quarter since 2011.

A combination of additional new services now operating from Liverpool and higher passenger loads on existing well established routes has helped to boost passenger numbers.

Growth is expected to continue during the year with seven new routes having already been announced from Liverpool for 2018 with Blue Air to operate new flights to Palma and Malaga, easyJet to serve Pula, Dalaman and Palermo and Ryanair to fly to Shannon and Paphos.

Paul Winfield, Director of Aviation Development for LJLA commented, “The increased choice of destinations and flights now available from Liverpool plus the completion of our various terminal improvement works is continuing to pay off for the Airport and the companies based here.

Passengers appreciate our faster, easier, friendlier approach to the beginning of their journey, be they traveling for leisure or on business and we expect to see further growth in numbers as more new routes begin throughout the year.”

Liverpool Airport

464438 passengers passed through Liverpool Airport in May +5% and over 468000 in June +2.5%

Figures nwan

Liverpool's two biggest carriers are both showing increase over June 2017, Easyjet being +6 % and Ryanair +4 % .

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock