Well apparently yesterday wasn't a dream! Wales 21 England 13! Didn't see that coming!

Well apparently yesterday wasn't a dream! Wales 21 England 13! Didn't see that coming!
I don't bet but yesterday morning I was certain that the three matches I was interested in yesterday would end with Wales beating England, Harlequins beating Bristol and Norwich City beating Bristol City, and I turned out to be correct with all three. I was so certain in my own mind that I wondered what sort of price I would get if I laid an accumulator bet (I think that's the correct term) involving the three games. I mentioned it lightheartedly to my wife yesterday morning. Many pundits thought that England would beat Wales, that Harlequins would beat Bristol and that Norwich City-Bristol City would be a draw, so I might have got reasonable odds for an accumulator.

I was only able to see one or two bits of the Wales v England game live on the telly, but from reports I've read after the game Wales deserved the win because of their second half performance.

This might be a good time to ask this question. In football many 'experts' reckon that the top club teams in the world would beat the best international sides. I know it's difficult to be certain and never likely to happen in a competitive environment, but with football I tend to think that a Barcelona or a Real Madrid or a Bayern Munich or a Manchester City would beat most international teams. Is it the same with rugby union?

Well there is a history in rugby of club v country games during tours. It's less now and tends to be more the tier2 teams that play. I do think out of the current sides Leinster and Saracens would be able to compete with most top international teams.
With the England game I wasn't very optimistic but I'm glad I was wrong!

As well as the Cardiff to Anglesey route and by road there is another way of getting to Angelsey from Cardiff and that is by train and like the air route there is also a subsidised train the Geralt Cymro, 'Gerald of Wales' which like the air service operates Monday to Friday only.
I've done the journey to the north of Wales a few times now by road and air so i think maybe next time i'll give this a try!

Why does the WG subsidise this train at £2 million a year when there are also other trains that run between Cardiff and Holyhead at roughly two hour frequency? The other train timings appear to permit a reasonably full day at both ends of the route in the same way that Geralt Cymro does.

As well as the Cardiff to Anglesey route and by road there is another way of getting to Angelsey from Cardiff and that is by train and like the air route there is also a subsidised train the Geralt Cymro, 'Gerald of Wales' which like the air service operates Monday to Friday only.
I've done the journey to the north of Wales a few times now by road and air so i think maybe next time i'll give this a try!

I actually had a hand in filming this one! Hoping to take this train myself in the summer.

Why does the WG subsidise this train at £2 million a year when there are also other trains that run between Cardiff and Holyhead at roughly two hour frequency? The other train timings appear to permit a reasonably full day at both ends of the route in the same way that Geralt Cymro does.
I believe it's too provide a First Class service at specific times of the day for Assembly members and business travellers, between the north of Wales and the south. It's the onl Transport for Wales service that has a First Class carriage.
After a little research the morning train leaves Holyhead at 05.34 and arrives in Cardiff at 09.58 and the return from Cardiff to Holyhead leaves at 17.16 and arrives at 21.41.
I actually had a hand in filming this one! Hoping to take this train myself in the summer.
Sorry forgot to mention you!

Last edited:
I believe it's too provide a First Class service at specific times of the day for Assembly members and business travellers, between the north of Wales and the south. It's the onl Transport for Wales service that has a First Class carriage.
After a little research the morning train leaves Holyhead at 05.34 and arrives in Cardiff at 09.58 and the return from Cardiff to Holyhead leaves at 17.16 and arrives at 21.41.

I thought that might be the reason. I wonder how many Welsh tax payers who have seen their rural bus routes reduced or axed because subsidies have been cut or removed are aware that two million pounds of their money is being spent each year to provide first class rail travel for AMs when there is a perfectly adequate rail service on the route.

I expect the WG would provide first class travel on the air route for their Members if it was possible.

I thought that might be the reason. I wonder how many Welsh tax payers who have seen their rural bus routes reduced or axed because subsidies have been cut or removed are aware that two million pounds of their money is being spent each year to provide first class rail travel for AMs when there is a perfectly adequate rail service on the route.

I expect the WG would provide first class travel on the air route for their Members if it was possible.

I'd imagine people would complain about it just like they complain about the air route yet the same people wouldn't complain if the WG subsidised a route to their favourite holiday destination! When it comes to subsidies i think people are fickle, i've seen many people online complain about the Angelsey route but then lambast the WG for not subsidising a route to New York! In the end the problem is that there isn't an easy way to get from one end of Wales to the other and it is a shame that there isn't a rail line that goes through the heart of Wales rather than the borders.

My point is that there is a perfectly adequate rail service at a decent frequency so why pay £2 million of tax payers' money for an extra train primarily, it seems, to provide first class rail travel for AMs, when rural bus services are being chopped because the government says it can't afford the subsidies.

Furthermore, the air route is available for AMs and business people and conveys them between North and South much quicker than rail (I presume this saving of their time is important) so why do they need this special train anyway?

so why do the
For that you'll have to ask the WG! But it is possible that many AMs and business people prefer the train. My sister uses trains to London a lot and says it's preferable to the plane as she can get more work done. It could have that attraction for many AMs and business people.

Haha don’t worry about that, i wasn’t expecting one at all!

Six Nations

Congratulations to Wales for their Grand Slam triumph. Thoroughly deserved - they were the best team in the tournament. I didn't see any of the match but by the sound of it their win against Ireland was impressive. If they can pick up this form when the World Cup comes around later this year they must stand a real chance of success.

As for England, they seem to go to pieces when facing any pressure. I watched most of the second half against Scotland and found myself willing Scotland to score again after they got to 31-31 after being 31-0 down (and I'm English). Scotland then went ahead and I was disappointed when England equalised right at the end to draw the match. Scotland deserved to win because of their incredible comeback.

If they don't pull up their socks England will be as bad as they were at the last World Cup.

Grand Slam champions! Beating Ireland convincingly like that was a great end to the tournament and Gatland's tenure as Wales coach. If any Welsh team has the potential of getting to the semi finals of the World cup at least like 2011 it'll be this team.
It was gutting for Scotland! After such a great comeback they deserved to win!

Great victory for the Welsh team, perhaps Qatar Airways will pick up plenty of passengers for Japan from CWL, they and the airport may start advertising the route soon.

Great victory for the Welsh team, perhaps Qatar Airways will pick up plenty of passengers for Japan from CWL, they and the airport may start advertising the route soon.
I've no doubt they'll pick up some passengers especially ones travelling independently but the ones on the official packages will no doubt end up flying out of London.

The project, for which a final cost has not yet been finalised, has a £738m budget ring fenced in the £1.2bn City Deal for the Cardiff Capital Region.

Is this money from the UK government in addition to the block grant?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock