I see there are 3 charter services to Seychelles from Bristol next year with Air Seychelles on an A320neo. Flights are via Dubai (I presume a refuelling stop). Economy seats are 29 to 30 inch pitch but premium economy and business are also offered. I don't know about anyone else but that's a long time to be cramped in a seat!
The company organising these flights, Air Charter Service (ACS), has been in existence for 30 years and organises charters using airlines. It doesn't operate any aircraft itself. it has been growing since its inception and now has about 30 offices around the world.

It is chartering Air Seychelles A320s and is offering seat-only deals, so customers would have to arrange their own accommodation. Customers can elect to fly to Dubai or to the Seychelles. They will use use Dubai Al Maktoum Airport (DWC) not Dubai International (DXB).

UK-Dubai usually takes in the order of seven hours and Dubai-Seychelles about four and a half hours. There has been talk of late of various airlines beginning Europe (including UK)-USA flights with the likes of A321 aircraft which would be around seven hours to the east coast of the USA, so with that in mind flying from the UK to Dubai on a narrow-bodied aircraft with limited seating space might be attractive to cost-conscious customers.

That will doubtless be the key to the success or otherwise of this initiative.

The Danish government has put the UK on its red list but has excluded Wales. Interesting that they are treating a part of the UK differently to the rest of it. Good recognition that Wales is a separate entity from England as well.

Last edited:
My fear is that more countries will follow suit. Making it harder to travel anywhere. Though intriguing that they have excluded Wales. By doing this people might try their chances at Flying into wales rather than England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

My fear is that more countries will follow suit. Making it harder to travel anywhere. Though intriguing that they have excluded Wales. By doing this people might try their chances at Flying into wales rather than England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
I believe Wales does have one of the lowest covid rates in the UK so that could be a reason. I don't know where Denmark is on the UK list but would flying into Wales make a much of a difference compared to flying out of i don't know.

I believe Wales does have one of the lowest covid rates in the UK so that could be a reason. I don't know where Denmark is on the UK list but would flying into Wales make a much of a difference compared to flying out of i don't know.
Denmark is on the UK government's amber list so far as England is concerned.

If they are going to protest then it should be outside the Senedd not the guys home. Though I am surprised he doesn't have an official residence. Maybe an official residence would then have better security.

Booked the Snowdon Mountain Railway today for the beginning of September. Was hoping to go on the steam train but that's not operational this year because of covid i believe so it's just the diesel train but hopefully the weather will be good and i can get some good photos. Unfortunately it doesn't go all the the way to the summit so i'll walk the rest and walk down.

Enjoy that. We've 'done' the Snowdon Mountain Railway a number of times over the years - always a great experience even when the summit station is shrouded in thick mist.

Our son and our daughter-in-law spent a few days in Snowdonia on a walking holiday earlier this summer. The walked from Llanberis to the summit station and walked back down again, keeping close to the railway. They FaceTimed us from half way up the mountain. It was a surreal but enjoyable experience sitting at home and looking 'live' at Snowdonia.

Enjoy that. We've 'done' the Snowdon Mountain Railway a number of times over the years - always a great experience even when the summit station is shrouded in thick mist.

Our son and our daughter-in-law spent a few days in Snowdonia on a walking holiday earlier this summer. The walked from Llanberis to the summit station and walked back down again, keeping close to the railway. They FaceTimed us from half way up the mountain. It was a surreal but enjoyable experience sitting at home and looking 'live' at Snowdonia.
Snowdon has been on my bucket list for a while. Going to be spending a few days in the area so thought why not spend a day on Snowdon. Originally i was going to walk up but decided but the train looks a good way of going up there.

Snowdon has been on my bucket list for a while. Going to be spending a few days in the area so thought why not spend a day on Snowdon. Originally i was going to walk up but decided but the train looks a good way of going up there.
We've spent a lot of holidays in North Wales. We first went there before the kids were born (the 'kids' are now in their early 50s). We took them several times when they were growing up and have been back more than once since they flew the nest.

Apart from the magnificent scenery (what a marvellous and thoroughly deserved accolade this week with the bestowing of UNESCO World Heritage Site status on the areas's Slate Landscape), I love the numerous opportunities for walking and also the narrow-gauge railways of Wales - not all in the North of course.

My favourite is the Ffestiniog Railway. When we first rode on it in the 1960s it only went as far as Tan-y-Bwlch from Porthmadog. Since then the Deviation has seen it return to Blaenau Ffestiniog via the new long 'long' tunnel . Over the years we've followed its progress by visiting the latest extensions as they were built - the first significant one was from Tan-y-Bwlch to Dduallt.

I'd love to travel on the Welsh Highland Railway. Currently I believe that it is only operating on a relatively short section of its usual lengthy journey - another unwelcome legacy of Covid, hopefully a temporary one.

I remember one visit in the 1970s when the trackbed was overgrown but still 'walkable'. We walked along the trackbed through the Aberglaslyn Pass and through the long tunnel on that line - we had torches; it was like exploring a deep cave.

Perhaps next year if the WHR reopens the entire length of its route we shall give it a go.

Have a great time in Snowdonia. I'm very envious.

We've spent a lot of holidays in North Wales.
Apart from visiting a mate when i was 18 to 20 who was in university in Bangor i've never actually been on holiday there. Idk why but my parents never took us when we were kids. Went a bit to west Wales and cornwall and Norfolk and the Lake District but never northern Wales.
I'd love to travel on the Welsh Highland Railway.
I noticed when looking at tickets on Scotrail there seems to be a section with a few more tourist railway journey ideas but i couldn't find something similar on transport for wales. Might look at some for the future.

Took a little day trip to west Wales today. Original plan was to go to St Davids but we never got that far as we discovered this beautiful beach on the way so spent some time at Newgale beach instead. Made me also think maybe Cardiff Airport and VisitWales could look at advertising flydrive holidays for international tourists from the airport to make west Wales more of an option from the airport.
View media item 15621
View media item 15622
View media item 15623
View media item 15625
View media item 15626
View media item 15627
View media item 15629
View media item 15630
View media item 15631
View media item 15632

Took a little day trip to west Wales today. Original plan was to go to St Davids but we never got that far as we discovered this beautiful beach on the way so spent some time at Newgale beach instead. Made me also think maybe Cardiff Airport and VisitWales could look at advertising flydrive holidays for international tourists from the airport to make west Wales more of an option from the airport.
View media item 15621
View media item 15622
View media item 15623
View media item 15625
View media item 15626
View media item 15627
View media item 15629
View media item 15630
View media item 15631
View media item 15632
We spent a few days at Newgale about 20 years ago with our daughter, son-in-law and their two sons/our grandsons - they now all live in Australia.

Newgale is a lovely area. There are other beautiful beaches in south-west and west Wales too.

Should it be Prime Minister of Wales instead of First Minister of Wales? In Welsh the title translates as Prime and not First Minister.

Should it be Prime Minister of Wales instead of First Minister of Wales? In Welsh the title translates as Prime and not First Minister.
I would have thought that those who favour Welsh Independence and Welsh Nationalism generally would have more important things to worry about than what the devolved government's political leader is called. I found the blog little more than an exercise in semantics. Indeed it could be construed as a lack of confidence in Wales as an independent nation on the part of the writer.

The writer makes this point in support of his view, "The title of the First Minister in Welsh is Prif Weinidog. The title of the Prime Minister of the UK is also Prif Weinidog. The Welsh language treats them as equivalents – as equals. If we can treat both posts equally in the Welsh language, then we can do so in English too."

I admit to not being a Welsh speaker so don't know whether there is a suitable alternative to 'prif'. It seems to have many meanings in English: one dictionary suggests chief, chieftain, lord, master, leader, (most) important person, man, hero, prime .....and so on.

English is a very rich language and has alternative words in abundance that mean the same or nearly so. Look at a list of synonyms for most English words and it's usually a long one.

Many languages don't have that variety and it might just be that Welsh is a language where one word embraces several words in English, hence it would be difficult to differentiate between first minister and prime minister when writing or speaking Welsh.

The writer mentions that Australia has a prime minster. It's a proper federal system, unlike the UK where we have a sort of half-baked 'federal' regime in practice. Australia's states enjoy a great deal of devolved power but their political leaders aren't called prime ministers. They are premiers. The USA has a president but the states, again possessed of much independent power, are led by governors. No-one in those countries seems to bother much about the nomenclature.

If I was living in Wales I would be much more concerned about what the leader of my government did, not what he (or she at some future point no doubt) is called.

If I was living in Wales I would be much more concerned about what the leader of my government did, not what he (or she at some future point no doubt) is called.
I doubt most people would care, up until recently with the pandemic many wouldn't have known who the FM was. I think for some though the title of First Minister compared to Prime Minister compares as inferior when the FM runs a country rather than say a state. Personally i'd prefer a Welsh title, Tywysog in welsh means leader. Similar to how Ireland names their version of PM/FM as Taoiseach.

I doubt most people would care, up until recently with the pandemic many wouldn't have known who the FM was. I think for some though the title of First Minister compared to Prime Minister compares as inferior when the FM runs a country rather than say a state. Personally i'd prefer a Welsh title, Tywysog in welsh means leader. Similar to how Ireland names their version of PM/FM as Taoiseach.
Tywysog would undoubtedly find favour with other people in Wales too.

As for the leader of the Irish government I alway think of the title as 'teashop'. I find it difficult to get my tongue around the correct pronunciation.

Good news with hopefully lots of high paid jobs!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock