TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
I've been having a chat with David_itl on the Profiles page following his telling us that yesterday was International Lefthanders Day.

For no other reason than idle curiosity we wondered how many left handers are numbered amongst our members.

I'm naturally right-handed although I do have some ambidexterity. That said, I'm one of a substantial number of people who play cricket (and hockey and golf, although I've never played those two games and my cricket playing is long gone too) as a left hander, meaning the left hand is the bottom hand on the cricket bat handle and the right shoulder faces the bowler.

I played a bit of table tennis, although never seriously, and when playing social games I would sometimes switch the bat from right to left hand to return the ball as a left-hand forehand rather than a right-hand backhand. It's probably illegal but would confuse the unsuspecting opponent when first attempted.

I to am left handed.Left footed as well.
I can use my right hand for some things but writing is not one of them.
I visited the Black Country museum about 6 or 7 years ago.There is a school set up there representing the turn of the 20th century period.
They encourage the visiting public to get involved and have a lesson as they would have done in the early 1900s.Unfortunately for me you had to use your right hand for writing on the slate.A rap across the knuckles from the mistresses' ruler if you failed to do so.
Apparently it was considered a punishable thing to be left handed,an illness even.
Glad I wasn't about then!!!

I'm left handed and ambidextrous footed although I was never really any good at playing football. I blame that on being blind as a bat through my childhood before getting my eyes lasered back in 2000 or there abouts.

Right handed and right footed! Never really good at kicking a rugby ball with left foot and better with my right! Thought it was frowned upon by the coaches if a prop kicked!:LOL:

As I put as a reply to TLY, me and my brother are left handed but cricket and other 2-handed sports we are right handed with our parents being righties and my dad being a leftie for sport! Think the greatest surprise I gave every one at school was when we were playing non-stop cricket in PE on the playground when the ball was struck 10 to 15 yards to my right and above head height and I took the catch right-handed. I've always preferred any one-handed catches to go to my right hand side. The other curious thing was that I was in the same school class as someone for 7 years and it was only in the 7th year that they realised I was left-handed!

Doubt the right-handers can fully appreciate how difficult it is growing up left handed in a world geared for right-handers. Having said that, when it comes to computers I'm accustomed to the mouse on the right - it just feels so alien to have the mouse on the left

My handwriting was indecipherable at the best of times but since a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning almost 8 years ago, it's got a bit worse - it was only a couple of years ago that I found that this is one of the consequence of CO poisoning is writing tends to suffer

Last edited:
I have a fair amount of ambidexterity but I do favour my right hand, writing etc.

When I used to wear a watch I wore it on my right hand and I use my knife and fork in a left handed manor, fork in the right hand.

My sister is left handed and my youngest is showing early signs of being ambidextrous.

My watch goes on the right but when eating the fork is firmly in the left hand. What's more interesting is that there's practically zero cameras that have the shutter on the left hand side.

• Admin
My watch goes on the right but when eating the fork is firmly in the left hand. What's more interesting is that there's practically zero cameras that have the shutter on the left hand side.
Ditto re watch and fork although I rarely wear a watch. I am blessed/cursed with an inbuilt clock and can invariably estimate the time to within five minutes wherever I am.

As an aside and continuing my 'American theme', I'm always fascinated at the way the majority of Americans eat. Even with a main course they seem just to use the fork - usually in the right hand too. I'm never quite sure how they manage to cut, say, a rump steak on their plate before popping it into their mouth with the fork.

I was raised to be right side dominate and school enforced the standard along with flat vowels. However since my illness struck, I have been forced to learn the asset I was born with namely my left half since my right half no longer wishes to function. In truth it has been a struggle and still cannot write with left hand though thank goodness for technology and the keyboard and tablets!

I was raised to be right side dominate and school enforced the standard along with flat vowels. However since my illness struck, I have been forced to learn the asset I was born with namely my left half since my right half no longer wishes to function. In truth it has been a struggle and still cannot write with left hand though thank goodness for technology and the keyboard and tablets!
I can well understand the value of keyboards when the physical act of writing presents immense difficulties. It's something to which most of us probably give little thought. Have you ever tried voice keyboards?

They can sometimes bring about amusing results when used on tv news programmes for instant sub-titles as they tend to act phonetically.

Would love one but I have no voice that a computer could interpret into code, I am, as one could describe, mute. A consequence of brain damage due to on going condition.

Would love one but I have no voice that a computer could interpret into code, I am, as one could describe, mute. A consequence of brain damage due to on going condition.
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's something else that many of us don't consider.

JENNYJET, your bravery in the face of so many problem is amazing. I'm not trying to embarrass you, but to say that you don't appear to have let your problems get fully in the way of life. You know your limitations and I am just so glad that you have found a forum such as this which allows you to share your outlook on the world with people who have your interest in aviation.

God bless and keep safe.

Thank you Scottiedog, it is aviation and airports that keep my interest and the Law keeps my mind sharp and Peggy keeps me going as her needs are more important. Incidentally, kind your words are, Bravery is reserved for our military as they are dodging the bullets.

have a good day folks!

Does anyone know how I may acquire the same or similar device or software that Steven Hawking had to enable communication ? I asked in writing local NHS but they declined to offer any assistance as my condition failed to meet required severity to justify costs of equipment and training and that I declined invasive treatment involving surgery choosing instead to live with my ailment as best I could. Thank you.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock