Interesting in that the East Midlands voted to Leave by 58%, the North West by 53%, the South West by 52% and Wales by 52%. All voted to Leave. It will be a case of wait and see as to what happens but my personal belief is it will be a 'soft' Brexit but it is a case of wait and see.

Todays Financial Times has on its front page a story about talks between u.k. and America on an Open Sky deal post Brexit.
It highlights as I have mentioned above regarding share holding aspects for airlines.
Ryanair will not be able to fly direct from the u.k. to America with its currant shareholding and must find European investors to satisfy both the American authorities and also the European authorities, it falls foul of both at the moment.
It may stop the 31% Branson wants to sell of Virgin to Air France/KLM at the moment his u.k. shareholding will fulfil American guidelines, maybe Delta will increase its shareholding

Wouldn't BA also be at risk of not conforming considering it's owned by IAG an EU company?

against the wishes of the British people

TheLocalYokel, you're starting to sound like Nigel Farage. A mere 17 million voters voted for Brexit out of a UK population of 65 million and admittedly even less people voted for Remain. What is clear though is a voting system that allowed such a critical decision to be made by such a small percentage of the UK population just shows how broken our political system is.

TheLocalYokel, you're starting to sound like Nigel Farage. A mere 17 million voters voted for Brexit out of a UK population of 65 million and admittedly even less people voted for Remain. What is clear though is a voting system that allowed such a critical decision to be made by such a small percentage of the UK population just shows how broken our political system is.
It's about the registered voters not the population as a whole, also many of the younger generation didn't bother to vote.
May have been a different story if there was compulsory voting but we'll never know.
I do think that the Brexit vote has shown that your vote can count. I've been voting for years and my vote has never made a difference as its always a Labour MP and AM that wins my constituency and a Labour government that runs Wales.

It's about the registered voters not the population as a whole

Indeed it is. It's mad that a 16 year old can join the army but they can't vote. In effect, they can be trusted with a gun but not with a pencil at the ballot box.

Interesting in that the East Midlands voted to Leave by 58%, the North West by 53%, the South West by 52% and Wales by 52%. All voted to Leave. It will be a case of wait and see as to what happens but my personal belief is it will be a 'soft' Brexit but it is a case of wait and see.

Although Manchester and Liverpool voted to remain

Indeed it is. It's mad that a 16 year old can join the army but they can't vote. In effect, they can be trusted with a gun but not with a pencil at the ballot box.
They can join the army yes but they can't get deployed to combat zones until they are 18. They are just glorified cadets .

"against the wishes of the British people".

Where did that quote come from? What was its context? I can't find it in this thread.

"against the wishes of the British people".

Where did that quote come from? What was its context? I can't find it in this thread.

Sorry TheLocalYokel, it was in the Cardiff thread that had posts moved to here. The post is probably still in the Cardiff forum.

It's probably because EU laws state that for government procurement bids from companies from any EU member must be considered. The UK government wouldn't be able to say that only UK companies can make it.

This was the governments response

“We are running a fair and open competition to ensure that the new contract delivers a high quality and secure product and offers the best value for money for customers."

But if we are not in the EU why would that law be relevant ? De La Rue, have done the contract since 2009. Have now lost it. With all the fuss about having a blue passport again, it does make the government look particularly ridiculous .

But if we are not in the EU why would that law be relevant ? De La Rue, have done the contract since 2009. Have now lost it. With all the fuss about having a blue passport again, it does make the government look particularly ridiculous .
Because we are still in the EU so EU law still applies. Plus the government isn't renewing passports because of Brexit it does it every 10 year's. Personally I honestly don't know why we couldn't have any colour we wanted anyway whether in or out of the EU.

Because we are still in the EU so EU law still applies. Plus the government isn't renewing passports because of Brexit it does it every 10 year's. Personally I honestly don't know why we couldn't have any colour we wanted anyway whether in or out of the EU.

I didn't know they did that, every 10 years. They might have been better to hang on a bit. To me the whole thing is a mess, and I feel we will end up with something very similar to now, except not in the EU, but having to comply with everything because we need to trade with them, but no influence anymore.

I didn't know they did that, every 10 years. They might have been better to hang on a bit. To me the whole thing is a mess, and I feel we will end up with something very similar to now, except not in the EU, but having to comply with everything because we need to trade with them, but no influence anymore.
It's to do with combatting passport fraud in my opinion. I think it's a case of wait and see, lots of twists and turns to come and honestly don't think we had much influence anyway just that we were a necessary nuisance!:LOL:

I think in general those parties that are in favour of 16 year olds voting tend to be left of centre because they believe, perhaps with good reason, that more young people will vote for them than for more right wing parties.

16 year olds can't legally drive cars on a road; can't legally drink in bars of licensed premises; there are restrictions on them being involved with firearms and in finance provision; (as has been said) they can join the armed services as cadets but are not allowed to fight; cannot join a police force; need consent of parent/guardian to marry; I could go on.

Perhaps the most obvious legal view of 16 year olds is that anyone under 18 is not treated as an adult by the criminal law. They are not considered mature enough to be tried and sentenced as adults so are they mature enough to vote?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock