EGCC_MAN

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Feb 2, 2016
Note to AVIADOR:

Is it possible to adjust the F4A site software so it doesn't time-out the ability to edit a post so fast? It is really annoying. I spent quite a while adding alot more detail to the outlook for domestic carriers in general, only for the site software to time me out when I clicked to upload. Why does it need to do that at all? Other sites allow the OP to edit a post indefinitely. On another section of F4A I compiled a checklist of aircraft in special colour schemes with the intention of keeping it regularly updated. But the 'no edits' policy has rendered that unworkable too, so the list has fallen way out of date. It is useless now, instead of being the worthwhile resource it could be. There isn't enough time to type up the entire list again any time an update is needed.

Meanwhile, I'm not typing all that regional airlines summary up again at 23:40. Time to move on ...

So if you are able to amend the site software which currently prevents editing existing posts that would be great. Thanks.

EGCC-MAN - just a temporary suggestion. Rather than try to edit online would it be better for you write your edited version in Word and then copy and post to the site?

Ps - you were burning the midnight oil last night, weren't you!!

Hi there @EGCC_MAN

I have tweaked the timeout time for this a number of times to try to establish what works best.

You might wonder why we don't just allow people to edit post whenever they wish? On the Leeds forum one person was posting useful information then they deleted their posts the following day. On the Manchester forum a user who is no longer with us was being disrespectful to other members then removing the offending sentences after he knew they had been read. He did this on a regular basis so it wasn't just a case of a change of heart. On the Birmingham forum one user was deleting his old posts and leaving smiley emojis. I could go on...

So basically the edit timeout is there to prevent abuse and ensure the forum has continuity.

The forum software uses auto save system to enable your work to be saved as you type your post. You can create a post and leave it to return to edit it before submitting it later. The "post reply" will remain in the same thread until you either edit it, delete it or submit it regardless of whether your PC or mobile is switched on or off.

Thanks for the explanation, Aviador. It looks like a trade-off really. The time-out defeats the misdemeanour behaviour you mention, so that is a positive. But on the other hand, it also locks out posters who could maintain up-to-date reference lists such as the liveries checklist I mentioned, or a list of destinations currently served from [Airport]. I'd personally prefer the latter, but of course it is your site and your call. You will never eliminate trolling entirely whatever you do.

Cheers. EGCC_MAN.

@EGCC_MAN The forum has an editable wiki thread function but it's got a software bug that needs fixing. It's turned off until it's fixed but it can be turned on for a short period on request. Should you wish to do that let me know when you want to edit it and I can turn it on temporarily.

The bug prevents people from creating a new thread so it would need to be for a limited time.

Failing that our Premium Member Plus Subscription allows unlimited editing but you may not wish to subscribe.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock