Advertisement

What is the point of the "Goods to declare" section?

Andrew32

May 20, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've made an account just to ask this question.
What is the purpose of the Goods to declare option? What if I did have illegal goods to declare? If I were to then go down this declaration option would I therefore get a reduced sentence?

Advertisement

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
If you went down that channel you would firstly have to find someone from Customs to declare it to...and be prepared for a rather lengthy wait to boot....or just do as everyone else in the same boat does and go down the green channel..........same effect these days..

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Its a good question and one Ive asked myself in the past.

I would think the severity of any potential legal case against you would be lessoned if you were prepared to declare excess goods you were carrying.

I expect it's more a case of it being a legal requirement more than anything so people can't say they weren't given the opportunity to declare excess goods before being stopped by a customs officer.

Ashley.S.

Site Maintenance
Staff member
Apr 10, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
www.envesko.com
When I went on a cruise, upon return to the UK you had the two channels: "nothing to declare" and "goods to declare". The advice given at the time was if you were unsure, to go through the "goods to declare" route and flag down an officer. I don't think the checks were as rigerious then but I guess airports are a lot busier than cruise terminals...

Advertisement

Top Bottom