Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Leeds
From the beginning of November Wizzair will launch 4 routes to Edinburgh.
Warsaw, Gdansk, Budapest and Bucharest.

New Route

Tirana - Albania. 3 x weekly from 18th December. Hope it actually starts!

Much to my surprise, Budapest resumes tomorrow and a reduced 2 x weekly frequency. Pre pandemic, this route operated 6 x weekly and carried, along with Ryanair +16,000 per month. How times change.

Correct. Not a big loss for EDI pax numbers wise. I suspect Wizz will hang around at GLA for a period then do a bunk, just like they did at Cardiff.
Or move to Prestwick. I suspect they want to or feel they need to serve Scotland but their margins are quite fine so have gotten a better deal from Glasgow.

Or move to Prestwick. I suspect they want to or feel they need to serve Scotland but their margins are quite fine so have gotten a better deal from Glasgow.
I have heard rumours (that’s all it is) that Wizz wanted to renegotiate landing fees etc. if correct, they’ve clearly had discussions with Glasgow. Basically named their price, given the current difficulties at GLA. GLA have said yes and we are where we are. Will it work for GLA? I seriously have my doubts. Wizz are the master at coming and going from airports when it suits them.

Is the catchment area bigger at Glasgow?
In terms of population, yes. Wizz tried Glasgow previously as we know then walked away when they got a better deal at EDI. The routes they propose to operate from Glasgow is Bucharest and Budapest. The Romanian market is in decline UK wide according to latest stats. Budapest may do ok from Glasgow. Zero competition on the route. I just don’t see Wizz hanging around for long.

Last edited:
I have heard rumours (that’s all it is) that Wizz wanted to renegotiate landing fees etc. if correct, they’ve clearly had discussions with Glasgow. Basically named their price, given the current difficulties at GLA. GLA have said yes and we are where we are. Will it work for GLA? I seriously have my doubts. Wizz are the master at coming and going from airports when it suits them.

In terms of population, yes. Wizz tried Glasgow previously as we know then walked away when they got a better deal at EDI. The routes they propose to operate from Glasgow is Bucharest and Budapest. The Romanian market is in decline UK wide according to latest stats. Budapest may do ok from Glasgow. Zero competition on the route. I just don’t see Wizz hanging around for long.
Obviously we won't know the details of any commercial deal but I wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow waived the landing fees at least for set period of time.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock