Heathrow open letter to Public Health England CEO on temperature checks

Advertisement

Heathrow open letter to Public Health England CEO on temperature checks
1588086877544.png

A Heathrow spokesperson said:
“We understand that Public Health England has concluded that temperature checks are ineffective. We think it would be useful if this evidence base is published both to reassure the public that current airport processes are scientifically appropriate, but also to help establish what measures are appropriate in creating a Common International Standard for health screening in the future. We hope to see this information in the public domain soon, to underpin the confidence in UK aviation as travel restrictions are eased around the world.”

28th April 2020
To Duncan Selbie, CEO, Public Health England
COVID-19 health checks and measures for passengers
We are grateful for the collaborative ways of working since this crisis began, particularly PHE’s enhanced monitoring at the airport during the containment stage of the pandemic. This has allowed us to play a crucial role for the UK by ensuring critical medical supplies can be brought into the country and citizens can be repatriated. We want to continue to work closely with you to ensure Heathrow remains safe and operational and is ready to assist the UK’s recovery effort once we are through this crisis.
We are now thinking ahead to how we can rebuild the economy once the medical crisis is under control. Aviation will play a vital role in getting trade and tourism on which our economy depends back to full strength. The critical issue is to build confidence between countries that it is safe to reopen borders without risk of reinfection and to build confidence in the general public that it is safe to fly.
You will be aware that there is significant concern that there are visible health tests in place in other international airports, but that people from other parts of the world are allowed to enter the UK without visible measures in place. These differences undermine confidence in flying, and in the UK in particular.
Last week I wrote to the Health Secretary calling for a Common International Standard for health screening at airports to build confidence in international travel. I understand that PHE has concluded that temperature checks are ineffective, and we think it would be useful if this evidence base is published both to reassure the public that current airport processes are scientifically appropriate but also to help establish what measures are appropriate in creating a Common International Standard for health screening in the future.
I hope to see the information requested in the public domain soon, to underpin the confidence in UK aviation as travel restrictions are eased around the world. If there is anything I or my team can do to support you in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Yours sincerely,
John Holland-Kaye, Chief Executive, Heathrow Airport Limited

Top Bottom