• Admin

London City Airport announces 2020 passenger numbers

View attachment 21388
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the aviation sector is illustrated today by the release of the 2020 passenger figures for London City Airport which fell by 82% from the record 5.1 million in 2019.

Aviation has been one of the hardest hit sectors with significant travel restrictions and quarantine requirements affecting both business travel and leisure flights.

At the height of the first wave in March 2020, London City also took the decision to temporarily cease commercial flights for three months to protect staff and support operations at the nearby NHS Nightingale hospital.

The airport saw a brief rebound in passenger numbers upon reopening in late June and the announcement of travel corridors by the UK Government, with high load factors on routes including Florence, Palma, Ibiza and Nice. However, subsequent travel restrictions in the UK and across the airport’s key markets significantly reduced airline schedules and passenger confidence in the last quarter of the year.

Robert Sinclair, Chief Executive Officer of London City Airport, said:
"2020 has been a difficult year for everyone. The ability to fly, whether to see loved ones, do business, or simply enjoy a holiday here or abroad, faced multiple barriers in the past year."

"Looking ahead, the immediate priorities are to continue to keep our passengers safe, rebuild confidence in flying and for industry and Governments in our key markets to come together to agree a set of harmonised rules and requirements that protect health but also allow the country to get moving again."

"As a relatively small, centrally located airport offering quick and convenient flights to key domestic and European business and leisure destinations, we believe we are well placed to see a rebound in passenger volumes once the vaccine roll out is well underway, travel restrictions ease and demand for flying resumes in the Spring."
The total number of passengers in 2020 was 905,326. London City Airport has taken a number of steps to protect the health and wellbeing of its passengers and staff, such as putting in place a comprehensive COVID-secure experience for passengers, including temperature checking technology and establishing an on-site Testing Centre.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock