Hello All

I'm currently in Lanzarote - Costa Teguise - to be precise, and with reference to the highly offensive and rude lady Mayor, who has indicated, née stated, she would like to curb the British population from invading her Island on "cheap bargain " holidays in favour of our "more high end" German, Italian & French neighbours, I would be delighted to hold court with such lady and impart a few home truths to her over inflated ego and warped thoughts that hoteliers, restaurant and bar owners, leisure trip promoters, taxi drivers and everyone else involved in the tourism industry would agree with her !!!

During our time here, we have been made to feel extremely welcome in the hotel in which we are staying, by all staff and positively welcomed in every restaurant, bar and taxi we have entered.

At our time of life we are fortunate, having worked hard all our lives, to be able to afford more expensive " luxury" hotels, on our travels, ( not always the case when our children were young)but still choose not to go all inclusive, so that we may explore the area and sample local restaurants and bars, using taxis majority of the time, to ensure we contribute to the country's tourist economy.

I admit to enjoying a cheap pint ( who doesn't) but also enjoy an expensive bottle of wine with a lovely meal and a refined gin & tonic or 3 in the evening 😘

I also enjoy watching football and do own football shirts but am not in any way " a drunken English football lout" which Spain and its Islands seems intent on banishing from their shores!

Do Spain, Germany, Italy and France not have their own problems with football type drunken hooligans or is that the media trying to hoodwink us into believing it is only a British Problem 😘

Our current hotel has a mixture of British, Irish, Spanish, German and French guests - Guess who the All Inclusive guests are? Certainly not the British and Irish and not because we cannot afford it ( only a couple hundred pounds difference to Half Board) So the Germans and French sit by the pool each day only venturing as far as the restaurant and bar, whilst we are out enjoying and exploring the island spending money.

Additionally, sitting in a Restaurant Bar last night, which was maybe half full, we noted that probably 80% were British, eating, drinking alcohol and causing no problems whatsoever.

A few Spanish with a bottle of water on their table all night long and a few Other Europeans hugging a half of lager!

The owner actually sat with us, thanked us for our custom and said without the British coming to Lanzarote , his business, along with many others would fold, as other Europeans do not spend money like the British do!

Given that in 2019, Lanzarote welcomed 1.3 million British Tourists , compared with 300,000 Germans and 115,000 French, I would say Lady Mayor, Be very careful what you wish for!!

The day I do not feel welcome in Lanzarote any more is the day I stop coming.

There is a whole world out there where I expect my money would be made welcome 😘😘😘

Welcome to Forums4airports @Respectable.Brit.Tourist!

You are absolutely right and lets face it, if more Germans wanted to go there, they would ....but they're not! Maybe they're not offering what the Germans are looking for. Maybe the high-end German market chooses an alternative destination to spend their hard earned money.

Who's telling the truth?

She is still saying that she wants the high spending German tourists which can be interpreted as we don't want the British.
For my twopenneth, I think that this a publicity stunt for Lanzarote

I interpret it as they don't want to be solely reliant on British for tourism.

Mind you - the media are a bunch of vile narcissists. So probably have twisted her words beyond belief.

She is still saying that she wants the high spending German tourists which can be interpreted as we don't want the British.
For my twopenneth, I think that this a publicity stunt for Lanzarote
You're probably right @Seasider. A bit of Ryanair style publicity.

I think that is a good interpretation Sherburnflyer92. I think that what has niggled the British is that she infers that they don't spend enough.

Whatever officials actually said, this is looking like its backfired spectacularly on Lanzarote. Its turning into a PR disaster for them.

Whatever officials actually said, this is looking like its backfired spectacularly on Lanzarote. Its turning into a PR disaster for them.

That really is the daily mail scraping the barrel and breaking the wood. easyJet landed early, for the first time in its history, beginning the summer season this weekend in Rhodes. Of course there was the usual greeting from the airport/island as tourists begin flocking earlier than ever before meaning economy starts to climb out of the winter lull.

But of course the scum parasitic journalists at the daily mail are going to scrape the barrel and try to twist the story to suit their own personal agenda.

Lanzarote authorities are pushing forward with their plans to focus on non British tourists who spend more.

They look enviously at Gran Canaria, which is very much an island where German tourists are favoured. Many restaurants only have menus written in Spanish or German..I went once and haven't been back, but I really like Lanzarote and have always felt welcome there.

My view is that this has been deliberately slanted to appear anti British but from what I have seen, it's more about making the island more attractive to Germans to increase their numbers rather than getting rid of the Brits. It's not really an island that attracts the boozy culture anyway - certainly not in my experience. Most pissheads would be bored to death there .

I'm fairly sure that this woman won't be very popular with the islanders who largely depend on British tourism and her days in that role may be numbered as a result.

Last edited:
I have never been to Lanzarote. I've visited Tenerife and Gran Canaria. I've always enjoyed both those islands. I've never encountered menus only in Spanish or German. Islanders have always been pleasant to us. There's always been a mix of different nationalities at the places where we have stayed. I'm guessing it was a British tour operator that was responsible for the huge expansion there. Lanzarote has been served for as long as I can remember but the advent of low cost and scheduled services will have undoubtedly impacted the way the island tourism has grown.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock