• Admin

Pupils to compete in exciting national engineering challenge at Glasgow Airport

Pupils from six regional secondary schools will take part in a national engineering challenge promoting science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) this Friday at Glasgow Airport.
Six pupils from each of the schools will compete in the Institute of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) Faraday Challenge Day on the first floor of the airport’s main terminal.
The students will become real-life engineers for the day when they research, design, and build solutions to actual engineering problems as part of the project.

iet-faraday-challenge-days-4.jpg

This year’s challenge is in association with UK Research and Innovation’s (UKRI) Future Flight Challenge, but the brief for these young engineers is being kept under wraps to avoid unfair preparation and research. Teams must race against the clock to solve a real-life engineering problem, putting their engineering and technology knowledge and skills to the test.

The schools taking part in the Glasgow Airport-based challenge are:
  • Paisley Grammar School
  • Williamwood High School in Clarkston
  • St Columba’s High School in Gourock
  • Barrhead High School
  • Clydebank High School
  • St Roch’s Secondary School in Glasgow
Fiona Smith, Group Head of Aerodrome Strategy, said “The aviation industry is experiencing rapid development in innovation the likes of which we have not seen since the introduction of long-haul flight in the 1930s.
“With the introduction of sustainable aviation fuels, the development of zero-emission hydro-electric flight and indeed the progress of our own CAELUS medical drone delivery project, it is an exciting time to join the aviation industry and projects such as the Faraday Challenge are playing a vital role in developing the engineering workforce of tomorrow.
“Our own sustainability strategy outlines our belief that the aviation industry has a vital role to play in ensuring young people have better access to STEM activities and that we attract talent to fill the much-needed jobs of the future within the sector.
“We are really excited to be hosting this event at the airport and are keen to showcase to the visiting pupils some of the exciting future flight initiatives Glasgow Airport and the wider AGS Airports are involved in.”
A total of 187 IET Faraday Challenge Days are taking place across the UK during the 2022-23 season. Up to six teams of local school students will compete at each event to find the best solution to an engineering-related challenge.
Natalie Moat, IET Faraday Education Manager, said: “Students who take part in the Faraday Challenge Days this year will experience working as an engineer through hands-on and practical engagement with real-life challenges relating to UKRI’s Future Flight Challenge.
“There is a huge demand for new engineers and technicians, and we are confident that this will challenge young people’s perceptions of engineering and inspire the next generation by giving them an insight into the life of a real engineer and show them just how exciting and creative engineering really is.”

iet_master-logo_rgb-1.jpg

The events aim to encourage more young people to study and consider exciting and rewarding careers in STEM by using creativity, innovation, and problem-solving skills.
Each team member in the winning group will be awarded a prize and a trophy for their school. The top five teams from across the UK will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the national final in June 2023 to compete for a cash prize of up to £1,000 for their school.
The Faraday Challenge Days are part of a wider Education programme, made up of a whole host of teaching resources and activities to inspire and attract the engineers of tomorrow.
For more information on the IET and its initiatives to promote STEM subjects and careers in the classroom, visit the IET’s dedicated website. To find out more about Glasgow Airport’s Sustainability Strategy click here.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock