Jet2.com

Advertisement

Land23R

May 9, 2014
Cheshire
It's important to remember that TCX was very much a split operation at MAN with 7 of their based a/c on long haul.
(Was it about 8 based for short haul?). I'm not sure how many daily slot pairs TCX held in s19 and what that split was, but it would be interesting to know what the 23 acquired by Jet2, if that is the correct figure, covers.

User1007

Feb 2, 2019
UK
Seems a lot of slots for Jet2, especially considering they're only in the market to replace Thomas Cook short haul routes. It seems unlikely they'll actually be able to use that many slots next summer, which raises the question of why pay for them?

A question about this whole sale process though - I thought only Heathrow and Gatwick were constrained enough to give slots monetary value. Yet Jet 2 are reported to have bought these slots, and Easyjet at Bristol. Could extra slots not have been obtained through the normal process, without the cost?

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
It's important to remember that TCX was very much a split operation at MAN with 7 of their based a/c on long haul.
(Was it about 8 based for short haul?). I'm not sure how many daily slot pairs TCX held in s19 and what that split was, but it would be interesting to know what the 23 acquired by Jet2, if that is the correct figure, covers.
TCX for S19 was 11 A321 and 7 A330.

Land23R

May 9, 2014
Cheshire
I believe my 8 based a/c for short haul may have been on the low side. 11 has been mentioned but that may include any stand-by units.
Nevertheless, say 10 based short haul a/c would require between 20 and 30 daily slot pairs as each a/c would do at least 2 departures a day for medium haul routes and 3 a day for shorter trips. On that basis, if Jet2 have acquired 23 for short haul, it would not seem unrealistic.

A good question though as to whether some slots at quieter periods could have been acquired through the normal process.

Ah, thanks Scottie, just seen your post.

User1007

Feb 2, 2019
UK
Thinking about this a bit more.. Jet2 cannot use 23 daily slot pairs. It's impossible. For flights to their usual holiday destinations that'd need 11 or 12 aircraft, which isn't going to happen. Even if they could use all the slots, Thomas Cook going bust surely proved there isn't any money to be made providing that much capacity in the beach market.

But what else can they do with them? If other airlines can expand their operations at Manchester without buying slots, the resale value is surely zero.

Seasider

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
I wouldn't worry too much, there has been a lot of "Misreporting" about the sale of Thomas Cook slots.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Just use the ones they want and send the rest back?

David_itl

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2016
Which would beg the question of buying all the slots for a given amount. Why not buy what you want at a smaller price?

If I remember correctly, Thomas Cook had a nice range of departure times for 8 aircraft between 6am and 8am which is where I believe the bulk of any monetary value would be for a MAN slot

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member Plus
Feb 2, 2016
But were those slots offered for sale as a bundle or were they made available individually for piecemeal bidding? Answers on a postcard ...

The ‘job lot’ approach would explain the acquisition of far more slots than are needed. But what Jet2 can do is to optimise their MAN portfolio by combining the best of their existing slot holdings with the best of the Thomas Cook batch. This is an exercise in slot optimisation, not volume. And on that basis the investment makes good business sense for the long term.

Jet2’s programme is set to grow. But not on the scale suggested by combining all these slots with the bank they already hold.

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member Plus
Feb 2, 2016
Based on new reports from Business Desk, it does appear that the Thomas Cook slots were sold as a bloc for each of five airports. EasyJet bought those at LGW and BRS; Jet2 bought those at MAN, BHX and STN. It doesn't appear that bidding for a small number of cherrypicked slots was an option.

As we discussed earlier, it is most unlikely that ALL these slots will be useful to Jet2 at MAN. But what they can do is optimise their portfolio for the long-term as well as accommodating the volume of post-TCX expansion which does make sense for them (all at great timings).

Presumably, a batch of less-attractively timed slots (from both the new TCX purchase and Jet2's existing portfolio) will be returned to the pool in due course, leaving Jet2 with exactly those which they want to grandfather for the long term. Good business, no doubt.

Land23R

May 9, 2014
Cheshire
Do we know if the en bloc sale therefore includes the slots relating to long haul as well or only the short haul slots?
Are the slots applicable to a specific terminal - T1 in this case?

The long haul slots in the main involve arrivals between say 05.30 and 09.30; and departures from say 09.30 to 12.00.
If they are specific to T1, then it would presumably pose no problem for Virgin to acquire additional slots for expansion if required subject to terminal capacity constraints in T2.

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member Plus
Feb 2, 2016
The honest answer is “don’t know”, but presumably the package would have included all TCX slots at MAN. However, I’m not concerned about VIR access to peak slots. FlyBe (Virgin Connect) has plenty which can be reshuffled as required. For example, their decision to drop MAN-GLA releases excellent slots for redeployment. As you say, stand and terminal access is more of a concern for Virgin Atlantic. But I’m confident that MAG will move Heaven and Earth to accommodate any new long-haul services VIR are minded to provide. And many long-haul routes don’t need the most scarce peak timings anyway.

All sounds like good news to me. And I wonder what DNATA will go for? If there is Emirates money involved there they could become a serious player.

Sixchannel

Aug 30, 2018
West Midlands
G-LSAG AOG at TFS again?
Flew LS917 MAN-TFS on 11/11 but new TFS resident 'relief' G-DRTF made its debut bringing LS918 back.
G-LSAG poorly again or just ringing the changes with the 737?
Shades of G-CELI??

ROC10

Jan 1, 2019
UK
G-LSAG due MAN ex TFS about 22.15 to end its illustrious career with Jet2.
FR24 doesn’t seem to have recorded the TFS-MAN flight as it doesn’t show in LSAG’s history but is showing as on ground in MAN. Shows as having landed under a LPA-MAN flight number. FR24 shows this flight was due to operate on the 16th in the afternoon but no flight was recorded there either.

Top Bottom