There was also taxi ways to be altered,made wider and add strength to them. Also 1 new taxi way to be built.

For those who might be unaware of the BRS expansion plans (there is a mass of detail in the BRS threads) the planning application to raise their current 10 mppa limit to 12 mppa together with more infrastructure to accommodate that number was, as expected, rejected last night by the local authority planning committee elected councillors despite recommendations to approve by the authority's own professional planning officers.

No doubt the airport will appeal to the Planning Inspectorate and it will be a major suprise if the councillors' decision is not overturned, although the secretary of state would still have to agree because part of the application relates to Green Belt land (some of the airport site is already in a Green Belt inset).

Why is this relevant to CWL? Any appeal by BRS will probably take at least 18 months to resolve. In the meantime there will be uncertainty. Although BRS is still one million passengers a year short of its 10 mppa cap it's likely that most of its growth up to its current passenger cap limit will be by way of existing airlines at the airport. That has been the way over the past four years that has seen annual passenger numbers increase by over 2.6 million.

Therefore, if say a Jet2 was looking to 'come west' there would not be space at BRS for a substantial new airline presence unless and until the passenger cap was raised. Ergo if such an airline had been looking at BRS they might well turn their attention elsewhere and CWL might become a beneficiary. So the next couple of years might present a window of opportunity for CWL.

BRS have already stated they have no intention of applying for a runway extension which they probably wouldn't get anyway.

Last edited:
To put into perspective the seats 1 aircraft would provide for the likes of Jet2 based on the usual holiday airline pattern of 2 return flights a day is about 276k a year. That is also based on 2 return flights a day through the whole year, not taking into account reductions in the winter. So a 2 or even 3 aircraft base could still be accommodated within the 10mil.
For the likes of Easyjet that may do 3 return flights a day (or even 4) on an A320, it's closer to the 400k seats mark.
However it might not be that simple as just passenger numbers. There could be a number of flights restrictions, including the night quota.
No doubt Jet2 will want to expand in the south soon and with the expected release of summer 2021 in the next few weeks, an 18 month delay for BRS approval could work in CWLs favour.
Easyjet will no doubt continue to grow at BRS, and subject to Max deliveries, TUI and FR may be in a position to as well.

With the war on greenhouse gases continuing, is it likely Bristol could win their appeal?

If BRS is permanently anchored on 10 mppa flights that would have operated from there above the 10 mppa level will be displaced to other airports, including no doubt CWL, so greenhouse gas emissions would still flow from such flights. As I said previously, I believe an appeal would be very likely to succeed, mainly on the grounds that planning inspectors would look at the law and government/local policies and guidance, something the council's own professional planning officers deemed the application met.

In its objection submission to the BRS planning application the Welsh Government told the North Somerset Council that it is well-placed to take the displaced flights and feels that the BRS application made light of CWL's ability to take what the WG obviously believes is its share.

The WG obviously sees the situation as an opportunity.

If they can't get something out of it I don't know when they ever will. I thought that Qatar's arrival would open the doors for other airlines (not necessarily long-haul) but that hasn't happened.

One of the reasons I find CWL so interesting compared to other airports is the enormous variety of aircraft that use the site. From scheduled to charter, event, GA, military, airshow, BAMC and now Global Trek traffic.
Thinking about aircraft types rather than airlines themselves can anyone think of any aircraft types which are yet to use CWL?
My personal favourite that has, has to be the Iberian A340 (s?) that visited over the years. Being a single tier 4 engined aircraft, it really is quite unique in a world of twin engined long haul aircraft.

Thinking about aircraft types rather than airlines themselves can anyone think of any aircraft types which are yet to use CWL?
I think it would have to be military ie B52 bomber or B2 or something like the F18. As i'd expect most the UK military aircraft have been through at some time. Civilian wise i'd say it's probably seen most of the passenger plane types including the CRJ series. Only ones it probably hasn't seen is Chinese built aircraft as some types are banned in Europe and others are still new. Not sure what Antonov types have used the airport. Cargo and passenger.

The Tupolev TU144 wouldn’t have visited. All i can think off of the top of my head...
Ma
The Tupolev TU144 wouldn’t have visited. All i can think off of the top of my head...
The Soviet Concorde, yeah I'm sure that would never have come.
Jerry, very fair point about the Chinese aircraft, the Comac (C919) may end up in commercial aviation if it can ever get its airworthiness certificate
The Antonov 225 visiting CWL really would be amazing (once they've extended the runaway by a few miles!)

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock