An alternative (?) may be to book on flights that arrive and depart during the afternoon ie FlyBe Dusseldorf. I have just booked for September and the train fare (with senior railcard) is less then the car park for 3 days.

I know that the're not many but if you look at 2 different airlines, there are plenty of possibilities especially the "costas" etc.

I've often thought the number of passengers arriving back into LBA after midnight warranted a more substantial bus service.

I've often thought the number of passengers arriving back into LBA after midnight warranted a more substantial bus service.

Bus company Yorkshire Tiger did try running a night bus service on the 757 Airport - Leeds route a few years back, but it was'nt profitable enough to keep running the journeys as it was run commercially instead of been funded by Metro.

Drivers are being told to expect delays and disruption when the first phase of the East Leeds Orbital Road project gets underway this week.

Contractors will be making improvements to junctions on the A6120 outer ring road at Roundhay Park Lane and the A61 Harrogate Road Roundabout, as part of a project that will take a year to complete.

Developers say there are plans in place to minimise disruption and inconvenience during this period.

Read more: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/year-disruption-expected-work-begins-15070990

Is anyyone able to tell me if the culvert works on Pool Bank (A658) is having any adverse effect on motorists heading to the airport via the A660 from the Seacroft direction as I understand that this work is now scheduled to run to the end of September (at least) and will be my route there later this month?

Additionally are the roadworks mentioned above by Aviador causing delays as the A64/A6120/A660 is my usual route to the airport from the coast. Thanks in anticipation.

I've used the A658 at Pool bank a few times since the work begun and to be honest, there hasn't been much of a delay. I would stick to your usual route if I were you.

If you are heading to LBA via the A660 Otley Road, to the Dyneley Arms, the culvert works won't affect you as they are down to the right whilst you will be turning left up towards LBA. Depending on the time of day I think there is certainly potential for delays of some sort at the junctions with Roundhay Park Lane and also at the A61 Harrogate Road roundabout, but I haven't been that way yet so haven't experienced it. If you know the way you can by pass all this part of the Ring Road by turning off down the A58 at Wetherby Road Roundabout, then right up to Oakwood, Right again along Princes Avenue and along Street Lane, and then just follow that road across the Harrogate Road at Moortown and A61, re-joining the Ring Road at Moor Allerton. That would take around 15 minutes, but not sure how that will compare to just sticking with the Ring Road.

I'll have a look at the suggestion WH but seeing as I've been using the route I mentioned for years now I, initially at least, am a little reluctant to chance a detour which may or may not be necessary (or may get me lost)! But thanks for thinking about it for me anyway.

Looks like both Keighley Bus Company (62) and Yorkshire Tiger (757) are making some changes to there airport bus services as from October 28th..

PB1078487/77 Registered
YORKSHIRE TIGER LIMITED
Route: Leeds to Lds Bfd Airport
Service number: 757 (757)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 28 Oct 2018

PB0001748/11 Registered
KEIGHLEY & DISTRICT TRAVEL LTD
Route: Keighley Bus Station to Leeds Bradford Airport
Service number: 62
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 28 Oct 2018

For my trip to Dusseldorf this week I decide to use public transport which usually isn't an option. Train to Leeds and then the 757 bus. Tuesday wasn't a problem but the return yesterday was "not very good".
My flight was slightly delayed and I just missed the 2.50pm bus. As it was raining heavily the bus shelter was full and I asked people to move down so others could shelter. After about 10 mins people at the front moved out towards another minibus obviously not waiting for the 757. I was now at the front of the queue. I noticed a Yorkshire Tiger bus "Out of Service" parked where Sentinel pick up. As it got to 3.10pm the next bus hadn't turned up and the bus moved. I said it was probably coming to operate the 3.10 service. It didn't, the 3.30pm bus didn't turn up either and it was 3.40pm before a bus arrived but it was a standard bus - no luggage space. It was very difficult to get on the bus and find somewhere to sit and put your luggage.
We eventually departed at 3.50pm, one hour after the previous bus and it is supposed to be a 20min service. Not a good advert for public transport to 3 German visitors waiting to get into Leeds. When I eventually arrived at Leeds City Station, my train was delayed 12 mins which was the same time for my connection in Hull. Eventually it arrived 45 mins late and I missed my 2nd connection and finally arrived home over 5 hours after landing.
If I had used my car (I am fortunate to have that option), I would have been home within 2 hours of landing. Next time my flights are timed so that I can use public transport, I will think very hard indeed whether it is worth it or not.

NB My overall delay using public transport was 2 hours.

There has been a lot of complaints about the service being provided by Yorkshire Tiger and I know LBA management have had discussions to express their displeasure but still it continues. They are not doing themselves any favours and I cannot help thinking they are now no better than First. In fact, on my First route, we seem to have more buses than we know what to do with. It isn't uncommon to see 3 at once and they are large buses (brand new StreetDecks in the new Leeds City livery). I am not sure when the route is open to re-tendering again but I won't be too disappointed if it goes to another operator. The 757 is one route that should not leave customers standing waiting given it presents a poor image of the country to visiting foreign nationals. Perhaps Keighley and District will have a go at it next time but I guess the problem is that only Yorkshire Tiger have buses designed with the airport in mind.

Not sure the 757 will go to tender any more as I'm sure the route is run commercially now without any funding from Metro. That's unless some early morning, late evening and Sundays are still funded?
Also would First Bus want to return to the airport, especially after being kicked out last time around by the old airport management, that was after starting a competing fast limited stop service to Leeds against Tiger due to losing the tendering process..

Not sure about First but of course, LBA management now, compared to then, are totally different. It seems though that Yorkshire Tiger are struggling to keep the required buses on the route. Their performance was even mentioned by LBA management at a Consultative Meeting earlier this year and they were very concerned at that time and had already spoken to the bus company about it.

@Seasider sorry to hear you had a poor public transport experience at LBA. I don't know the cause of the poor service provided by Yorkshire Tiger but the weather was atrocious yesturday and I know there were a number of flooded roads. When I went to work at 4.30 the traffic was horrendous.

I have emailed Yorkshire Tiger and have received the standard reply that they are looking into it. They have a lot of "comments" to deal with at the moment so will take longer than usual to reply, but should be within 20 working days! Now buses run 7 days a week ...

I am using the airport again at the beginning of November and it would be possible to use public transport. Will I? :unsure:

Council website stating another consultation due on road and rail options but not till next year...

I'd urge anyone commenting to support option A to also make this observation...

If one day there is indeed a plan to directly link the terminal to a rail halt on a branch line, or introduce a people mover/driverless tram then the potential route needs to be Masterplanned now. If they build the new road and block access from the railway to the terminal then they are making any future connection far more expensive. An underpass for such route must be included in the construction of any new road to avoid such cost

I don't care what they do. Just get on and build something!! All talk and no trousers and there will still be nothing done in 5 years time!!

I`m with you Bigman..Its Council speak for lets have more consultations..kick the can down the road. Then when the can has been kicked they pull out the hoary old chestnut of..sorry its had to be taken out of this years budget plans..now maybe next year..blah blah..
Cynical....moi???

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock