Advertisement

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

Advertisement

Kingshat

Mar 26, 2016
The large orange and white mast that has appeared in the south east corner of the airport site this week is to carry the surface movement radar (SMR). Bristol is the largest airport in the UK not to currently have this technology, which is ironic as it is designed to assist controllers manage surface traffic in periods of poor visibility. The system will be tested through the summer and is due to go live in October or early November - hopefully in time for the season of mellow fruitfulness.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
easyJet warns of baggage belt failures at Bristol Airport

Reports of baggage belt failure at BRS this morning causing issues with passengers checking in baggage.

kraktoa

Jun 16, 2013
From last weekend non scheduled coaches that drop off and pick up passengers will not be allowed in the forecourt of the main building. They will have to park by the multi storey car park and pay to use the dedicated parking stand, about £25 per hour. This will mean that coaches hired to pick up groups will be scratching around looking for free parking around the airport streets in case incoming flights are delayed. As usual airport looking for profit where they can. Most coaches caught in this predicament will park n the A38 or nearby villages. I thought the airport was looking to appease local residents.

Public transport scheduled buses, silver zone buses and buses catering to cancelled flights are not affected.

Last edited:

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
From last weekend non scheduled coaches that drop off and pick up passengers will not be allowed in the forecourt of the main building. They will have to park by the multi storey car park and pay to use the dedicated parking stand, about £25 per hour. This will mean that coaches hired to pick up groups will be scratching around looking for free parking around the airport streets in case incoming flights are delayed. As usual airport looking for profit where they can. Most coaches caught in this predicament will park n the A38 or nearby villages. I thought the airport was looking to appease local residents.

Public transport scheduled buses, silver zone buses and buses catering to cancelled flights are not affected.
Although the forecourt outside the main terminal building is quite large (running the length of the terminal when first built before the extensions) it can quickly fill up with authorised buses. Including the car park buses, some of which are 'bendy buses' and therefore quite long, I've seen a dozen or more on the forecourt at times - that doesn't include the 'guest' coaches that you mention. It's not a rare occurrence for buses to double-park to pick up passengers. I use the small A5 'village bus' quite often (I'm sometimes the only passenger) and more than once I've had to step off the pavement between parked buses to flag down the A5.

How many '£25 a go' coach parking stands are there by the mscp? You mention one. If there is only one will it be enough? Sometimes there is more than one 'guest' coach parked in front of the terminal. It's already not unusual to see coaches parked in laybys along the A38 awaiting the arrival of 'their' aircraft.

You make a valid point about it being a particularly poor time to potentially increase the street-parking burden on local residents. The only thing I would say is that the traffic commissioners have considerable regulatory power and if coach operators were regularly causing problems by inconsiderate parking on local roads there could be a sanction - probably rather a laborious procedure though.

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
Coaches and trucks are governed very tight. Parking of the vehicles at home base is big enough,also vehicle maintainence. Those are just part of the process with operating these vehicles.Now if the coaches are parked here there and every where is a problem as they don't need to cause a problem.All it takes is som one to get hold of the traffic commissoners and complain then they will moniter the situation at great depth.They have the power to make decisions and the coach operators wont like it.Then it will put the ball back in the airport to make parking for these coaches,weather the airport likes it or not.It will be good to see how this works out,as the airport would have no say on the matter.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
I noticed today that the entrance to the terminal forecourt for authorised vehicles - buses and accredited taxis - has been moved to behind the security hut. Some form of roadworks are taking place on the original road.

Does anyone know if the new way in will be permanent or is it being used whilst the aforementioned roadworks are taking place?

Samishlol

May 25, 2018
Bristol

The airport changed where the coaches go because it was clogging up the forecourt and vehicles could not move. But having to pay £12.50 to pick up/drop off, then £25 per hour is not unreasonable to ask, specially if it's within a 2 minute walk to the main terminal. God knows how many they pay to get permission to park in the forecourt.
I noticed today that the entrance to the terminal forecourt for authorised vehicles - buses and accredited taxis - has been moved to behind the security hut. Some form of roadworks are taking place on the original road.

Does anyone know if the new way in will be permanent or is it being used whilst the aforementioned roadworks are taking place?
I believe they are doing works, so should return once finished. I'll see what I can find out through the BRS channels.

Advertisement

Top Bottom