Why on earth would she do that living 5 mins away from LBA?
When she goes over to Dublin (which is rarer these days) she has to be at the office at about 10 am i believe for whatever meetings and training she has to do. She can't do that with the Aer Lingus timings from LBA but can from MAN and the Ryanair flights are too early i believe.
A lot of the work she is now doing invloves Paris and the Nordics so lately she's been using Flybe/Air France and Easyjet and SAS and Finnair as well. Unfortunately none of those options are available from LBA though i do think she has used the Jet2 Paris flight a few times. Most of her flights from LBA tend to holiday flights or too see friends in Northern Ireland.

That now only leaves Eurowings, Lufthansa, Flybe and Easyjet who could pick up the route. However what was more exciting about BMI was what they could have brought LBA in the future. If they expanded LBA could have reached so many more business passengers but yet again we've missed out! Now we really need a Easy base, but most other airlines won't look at LBA until the terminal is complete. Especially the likes of Lufthansa and Air France.

When she goes over to Dublin (which is rarer these days) she has to be at the office at about 10 am i believe for whatever meetings and training she has to do. She can't do that with the Aer Lingus timings from LBA but can from MAN and the Ryanair flights are too early i believe.
A lot of the work she is now doing invloves Paris and the Nordics so lately she's been using Flybe/Air France and Easyjet and SAS and Finnair as well. Unfortunately none of those options are available from LBA though i do think she has used the Jet2 Paris flight a few times. Most of her flights from LBA tend to holiday flights or too see friends in Northern Ireland.
Now it makes some sense Jerry, if the (very ) early Ryanair flight is too early and the Aer Lingus is too late, and she needs a flight that arrives somewhere in between. Despite the comment from Severn, my comment wasn't intended to be having a go at your sister or being critical - I simply didn't understand the logic. Personally, I would rather catch an 0630 Ryanair and get there early than drive over to MAN to get a flight a bit later, but I do understand that the return Ryanair flight is later in the evening, so it works one way but not coming back for anyone going over there on business and for whom the Aer Lingus flight is too late.

Isn't this just indicative of the way the aviation industry is going at present? This is not an LBA thing. Primera, Germania and now FlyBMI. Who next? FlyBe takeover to be sorted out, so there may be a big hit to UK regionals there. I see though that Loganair are already coming in to save some Aberdeen, Bristol and Newcastle services.

Oil is cheaper but since the Brexit vote the pound had dropped dramatically and we all know oil is bought and paid for is US$ not Sterling....thats a massive problem for all UK airlines.
I accept the pound dropped in June 2016, but in fact has been stable over the last 9 months, according to our treasury division we bought at 1.33 on the 1st June last year and 1.32 on the 1st Feb, really no change, yet the oil price has dropped massively.
Last month the Renminbi was the heaviest traded currency on the London market, as the Euro position as a world currency falls, as Chinese traders refuse now to take the dollar.
Flybe had a falling oil price and a staple dollar and euro over the last nine months, I doubt they had the financial position to buy any forward contracts so would have had to buy spot, which has been a great advantage to them against the major airlines who have no doubt protected against an oil price rise.
Any company that was caught out by the falling pound in June 2018 should have fired its directors.
I still have a email from my chairman timed at 10.30pm on the 23rd June, advising the losses on currency caused by an assumed remain win and my decision to buy every euro and dollar we could afford. At 4am another email calculating how much we had made, but failing as a non financial person, to take in to consideration the pound would have risen by 10% if remain had won, we had not gambled on either side winning..
Currency should never effect the profit or loss of a business, if you dont protect you open yourself up to market movement, with all our international partners we agree an exchange rate and then take any actual movement in to account at the next contract review, or on contract completion, as we do with any tariff movement.
Flybe's future post Brexit should have been outside Jet2 one of the easiest to resolve of all u.k. based airlines. Whilst I worried about its share register, it was easily solved. Not the same with IAG who have now advised if any U.K. resident buys their shares, they will be cancelled and the monies repaid, as they have decided to become a European airline, with all the problems of their tranatlantic routes from the U.K.

I accept the pound dropped in June 2016, but in fact has been stable over the last 9 months, according to our treasury division we bought at 1.33 on the 1st June last year and 1.32 on the 1st Feb, really no change, yet the oil price has dropped massively.
Last month the Renminbi was the heaviest traded currency on the London market, as the Euro position as a world currency falls, as Chinese traders refuse now to take the dollar.
Flybe had a falling oil price and a staple dollar and euro over the last nine months, I doubt they had the financial position to buy any forward contracts so would have had to buy spot, which has been a great advantage to them against the major airlines who have no doubt protected against an oil price rise.
Any company that was caught out by the falling pound in June 2018 should have fired its directors.
I still have a email from my chairman timed at 10.30pm on the 23rd June, advising the losses on currency caused by an assumed remain win and my decision to buy every euro and dollar we could afford. At 4am another email calculating how much we had made, but failing as a non financial person, to take in to consideration the pound would have risen by 10% if remain had won, we had not gambled on either side winning..
Currency should never effect the profit or loss of a business, if you dont protect you open yourself up to market movement, with all our international partners we agree an exchange rate and then take any actual movement in to account at the next contract review, or on contract completion, as we do with any tariff movement.
Flybe's future post Brexit should have been outside Jet2 one of the easiest to resolve of all u.k. based airlines. Whilst I worried about its share register, it was easily solved. Not the same with IAG who have now advised if any U.K. resident buys their shares, they will be cancelled and the monies repaid, as they have decided to become a European airline, with all the problems of their tranatlantic routes from the U.K.

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR FLYBMI

flybmi (ex-BMI Regional) have gone into administration, and are no longer operating.

They are not to be confused with flybe which are still operating!

flybmi were to scheduled operate from LBA to MUC starting in April on E135/145s.

flybe STILL operate from LBA to BHD, DUS, NQY, INN (summer charter) and SOU (operated by Eastern Airways)

And for those who like masochism, once you actually get to the `Great Edifice` you have the treat of being herded like cattle in the security area then expelled into a too small holding pen...sorry lounge area...now tell me again how much did you save??:unsure::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I deliberately avoided responding to this message at the time as I wasn't prepared to get involved in an unreasoned debate about the pros and cons of lower cost options at Manchester but it has stuck in my craw ever since. Since BMI has now disappeared, we have an objective answer. They would have saved the amount of money I originally mentioned PLUS the amount of money they would have lost had they not booked using a credit card or had travel insurance PLUS the stress and hassle of rebooking flights. Of course, you would book with any airline with good faith they would not go bust but still.

When the LBA-MUC route was first announced, I raised real concern with the business proposition and I have been proven correct. For BMI to have to cease trading with such immediacy, they must have been running a very unprofitable business or one that depended so entirely on one factor that it ceased to be viable once that factor was taken out of the equation. The press release they put out in light of their administration cited high fuel costs, high carbon costs and Brexit uncertainty meaning they were unable to win business contracts. They didn't mention that they operated lots of unprofitable routes with high cost aircraft that would be significantly exposed to adversity but then it would be a real break from tradition if the CEO of a failed business took some responsibility for said failure.

As it happens, of everyone here, I was probably most immediately affected by the situation as I flew from Manchester to Norwich on Sunday. Mybusiness flight was booked via an agent with a BMI flight code and I spent much of the day trying to find out if I would be allowed to travel. I can say with some confidence that Loganair customer service centre, at least, was not expecting BMI's announcement.

One thing that has been mentioned is Loganair's immediate decision to pick up some of the routes left behind by BMI and I think the real shame will be that LBA-MUC never 'got off the ground' as we will never know how successful it would have been. Had it operated even for a short time and been somewhat of a success, it would have made it more attractive to other airlines, even if the initial problem that it was being operated by a MUC based aircraft would have needed to have been overcome. A start date of a year earlier would have been much better for LBA and it is simply bad fortune for LBA that events occurred at the times they did.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock