Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the suddenness of it was actually planned to try and manoeuvre the government into deferring the APD and get them to review it with the potential of cutting domestic APD?
You wouldn't blame anybody for thinking that. As i said whatever happens these people will not walk away empty handed.
Do passengers pay domestic APD if booking say a Newquay to New York via Heathrow or Southampton to Las Vagas via Manchester flight if it is with the same airline on both legs?

You wouldn't blame anybody for thinking that. As i said whatever happens these people will not walk away empty handed.
Do passengers pay domestic APD if booking say a Newquay to New York via Heathrow or Southampton to Las Vagas via Manchester flight if it is with the same airline on both legs?
I am not 100% sure but according to gov.uk, it looks if the connection is made within 6 hours of arrival (between 4am and 5pm) then only the domestic APD is levied as it is classified as connecting. Although it is a bit confusing as they also mention international connections (made within 24 hours) underneath with the example of Manchester to New York being charged the higher APD rather than domestic.
I presume this is how the Inverness loophole works, you are considered connecting so don't pay departure tax at Heathrow and Inverness is exempt.

Confirmation of the deal, interesting that Willie Walsh IAG has waded in with pointed criticism of the government support. In reality the support is deferring the tax payments to provide liquidity and the bigger issue that they will look at APD with no absolute guarantee on reducing that. A lifeline for sure but the owners have to sort out the business model if they are to survive and importantly grow

Troubled airline lands Government rescue deal
Flybe-Q400-Purple-Plane-e1554275522948-500x333.jpg

The government has agreed a rescue plan for troubled regional airline Flybe, Europe’s biggest regional airline and the largest airline in terms of passenger volumes at Birmingham Airport, in a move which would safeguard 2,400 jobs.
The government has agreed to work with Flybe to work out a repayment plan for a tax debt that is thought to top £100m, while the firm’s owners have agreed to pump more money into the loss-making airline.
Flybe tweeted: “We are delighted with the support received from the Government & the positive outcome for our people, our customers and the UK. Flybe remains committed to providing exceptional air connectivity for the UK regions with the full support of its shareholders.”

Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said the deal would keep the company operating.
She tweeted: “Delighted that we have reached agreement with Flybe’s shareholders to keep the company operating, ensuring that UK regions remain connected.
“This will be welcome news for Flybe’s staff, customers and creditors and we will continue the hard work to ensure a sustainable future.”
The airline had found itself at risk once again less than a year after its rescue by a Virgin Atlantic-led consortium of buyers.
In October, the airline officially changed its name to Virgin Connect following its £2.8m sale to a consortium of operators called Connect Airways, which was led by Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic.
However, the chief executive of the owner of British Airways has reportedly attacked the government’s decision to help troubled Flybe as a misuse of public funds. In a letter to Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, a copy of which has been seen by the BBC, Willie Walsh, CEO of International Airlines Group, questioned why the taxpayer is picking up the tab for the airline’s mismanagement.
He pointed out that one of Flybe’s biggest shareholders Virgin Atlantic, is part owned by the US’s Delta, one of the world’s largest and most profitable airlines.
The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) General Secretary, Brian Strutton, said: “This is good news for 2,400 Flybe staff whose jobs are secured and regional communities who would have lost their air connectivity without Flybe. “BALPA looks forward to discussing the airline’s future plans in detail with management, meanwhile passengers can be confident that Flybe remains an excellent choice for regional flying.
“The Government is to be applauded for stepping up to the plate to help one of the few remaining independent UK airlines and a vital one at that.”

You can understand IAG not being happy about this however it's another argument to add to the constant battle with Virgin. I bet IAG would be far less bothered if Virgin weren't involved. I can understand the frustration however Flybe are needed in the UK, if BA and the rest of the airlines on these shores could bridge the gap Flybe would leave then the blow of Flybe going bust would be far softer however that is not the case. Flybe need to get there act together or they will face the end of the road and the likes of BA will then have one less competitor.

You can understand IAG not being happy about this however it's another argument to add to the constant battle with Virgin. I bet IAG would be far less bothered if Virgin weren't involved. I can understand the frustration however Flybe are needed in the UK, if BA and the rest of the airlines on these shores could bridge the gap Flybe would leave then the blow of Flybe going bust would be far softer however that is not the case. Flybe need to get there act together or they will face the end of the road and the likes of BA will then have one less competitor.
And you last sentence is the only reason why BA are firing off.

I find the tweet below interesting.

Ye4s Flybe is the largest regional airline in Europe and offers a majority of regional connections in the UK. However, they are not the largest domestic flier in the UK in terms of Pax and as such are not the only ones likely to benefit from the reduction/scrapping of APD...

The top 3 for last year are as follows:

1. Easyjet = 9.8m domestic seats
2. Flybe = 8.3m domestic seats
3. British Airways = 6.9m domestic seats

the question is, whilst changes to APD may have rescued/staved off immediate collapse of Flybe, it will also be a massive opportunity to others. Ryanair pulled out of routes in Scotland because the planned reduction in ADP wasn't forthcoming and now it looks like it will... Whilst Flybe is limping along, what will other do to seize the unexpected opportunities?

Birmingham International Airport should seek immediate agreement to bring British Airways back to Birmingham, they opened Eurohub for British Airways then expanded and Flybe took their routes and terminal. Now in difficult times British airways could rescue Birmingham International airport immediate.
Slim to no chance of that happening. If BA CF couldn't even get the seasonal routes to Palma De Mallorca and Florence to work, what hope does BHX have of BA operating the domestic routes?

Slim to no chance of that happening. If BA CF couldn't even get the seasonal routes to Palma De Mallorca and Florence to work, what hope does BHX have of BA operating the domestic routes?
If they had used larger aircraft they might have got those routes to pay on cargo alone.. The timeings were more suitable to a freighter operation than a passenger.:)

Weren’t the BHX routes just an excuse to utilise the spare aircraft from LCY at weekends anyway? they we’re never ever going to go anywhere in terms of expansion or establishing a base, from what i understand anyway

Weren’t the BHX routes just an excuse to utilise the spare aircraft from LCY at weekends anyway? they we’re never ever going to go anywhere in terms of expansion or establishing a base, from what i understand anyway
They were encouraged so a past CEO could get his picture taken under a BA tailfine before he f====d off.My job is done. suckers.
How he enginered it so their was daylight i still don't know.

I think we should move on from fretting about BA. Their time is up. They were voted one of the worst airlines last year.

They are only whining about this sensible decision by the government to support regional connectivity because it means they miss the chance of clawing in further passengers through the only airport that matters to them, Heathrow.

They are only whining about this sensible decision by the government to support regional connectivity because it means they miss the chance of clawing in further passengers through the only airport that matters to them, Heathrow.
I certiainly agree with that but cannot get rid of the nagging feeling that it has been orchestrated. Why would companies like Delta. Virgin and Stobart have their brands associated in the media with a company that is not paying its taxes? Actually our taxes they were collecting and not passing on.I read elswhere that is theft. but not sure of the legal situation.

See Ryanair are considering legal action. Has Ryanair ever had any public handouts to induce them to fly to certain locations, such as, I don't know, let me be random and pick an airport, er, ummm, Charleroi?
:unsure:

Strange how airlines don't want to help one another for the collective good. Even when the APD agreement will also need to apply to them. I can only assume that the banks of state aid lawyers at Whitehall said this was okay...in which case...no case.

Strange how airlines don't want to help one another for the collective good. Even when the APD agreement will also need to apply to them.
Has there been an APD agreement? Unless i missed something its just talk at the moment to review it. The only airline to benefit from an APD review is FLYBE because they havn't been paying it.I presume the others have.
The lobby to resist this will be much louder than those who want it and goverments tend to listen to those who shout loudest.
In the meantime FLYBE/VIRGIN have the time and money(not theirs) to restucture, drop poor performing routes,probably the ones that offer regional conectivity. and i believe change the use of their Heathrow slots.
No wonder other airlines are angry.

Has there been an APD agreement? Unless i missed something its just talk at the moment to review it. The only airline to benefit from an APD review is FLYBE because they havn't been paying it.I presume the others have.
Actually if domestic APD is cut the airline who would benefit the most would be Easyjet as they carry the most domestic passenger, BA after Flybe would then benefit the most. Don't think there has been any complaint yet from Easyjet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock