It wouldnt be a catastrophe, it would be business as usual until the last hour IF it were to go that way. There will be ways to get people home. It's been done many a time in the past without major disruption.

Tenerife,Antalya and Dalaman to fly out today.

If the crunch point is this weekend, this will be a good indication if the deal is getting closer. It would be catastrophic to fly these passengers out if the bosses know they have no chance of securing the extra funds.

That will cause more stress and alarm to the public. And then even more on the facist rumour mill of our right wing press.

If people have ATOL protection they will be flown home at the end of their holidays.
For the airport the loss of Thomas Cook would be a blow but no doubt eventually the capacity will be filled either by current airlines or new ones.
Hopefully none of this will happen.

If people have ATOL protection they will be flown home at the end of their holidays.
For the airport the loss of Thomas Cook would be a blow but no doubt eventually the capacity will be filled either by current airlines or new ones.
Hopefully none of this will happen.
Looking at Severn's breakdown of Thomas Cook at BRS this summer at #336, and recognising that the winter is considerably less busy for them at the airport, I suppose it's not a completely wild guess to suggest that the airline handles in the region of half a million passengers a year at BRS - might be give or take 50,000 or so.

That would certainly set the airport back a year or two in passenger numbers. We have to hope, mainly for Thomas Cook's staff, that the business somehow survives.

Given that almost all of Thomas Cook's BRS passengers will be leisure-orientated, it's no doubt a group of potential customers that others will eyeing if the opportunity arises, but the second sentence in my previous paragraph is the important one.

There is a rumour that 2 of their flights tonight have been diverted to Corfu.

Why?

Maybe it is a refueling stop as Kavala runway has issues. Recall this happen3d in the past.

with Thomas cook announced they have collapsed. It will be a very big blow to the tourist trade around Europe and around the world. I feel so sorry for all the staff involved,thats about 22,000. This will be a big blow to BRS as they had 3 A321 aircraft based. Early days but Jet2 would be a perfect fit to replace TC.Lets hope they can get staff sorted with what money they owed and reduncancy money. So sorry for staff.

That is a blow to the airport. Approx 1000 passengers a day i make it. As they are all international flights the guaranteed ancillary revenue for the airport in car parking and retail outlets Will take the hit.

If the chartered flight business model is under threat should other companies be worried?

That is a blow to the airport. Approx 1000 passengers a day i make it. As they are all international flights the guaranteed ancillary revenue for the airport in car parking and retail outlets Will take the hit.

If the chartered flight business model is under threat should other companies be worried?
I've no doubt that eventually the lost capacity will be replaced at Bristol either by Easyjet and TUI or by the eventual arrival of Jet2.

If customers wanting to book flights or vacations things must go through their minds as is the airline safe is the major worry. In the past Thomas cook has been a tried and trusted airline and then this happens.This happening must make customers nervous booking vacations or flights. 1 way to satisfy customers is look at the financial report of airlines and holiday companies,this would if reports look good then it would go a long way customers happy to book with holiday companies.
On a slightly different subject but starts from Thomas cook is share prices in Easyjet and TUI have risen by 6% this morning.This is what has happened with Thomas cook. The 2 airlines as in Easyjet and TUI would be the main airlines to benefit and Jet 2 would benefit mostly in the north of the UK.

Do any of the airlines mentioned to take up the slack left by Thomas cook actually have the available aircraft,staff or financial backing to do so quickly ?
Surely this sort of thing can’t be planned for by other airlines , it will be next summer at the earliest before some of these seats are replaced

3x A321's doing 2 flights a day is 1320 outbound seats. In terms of CAA stats it's outbound and return so 2640 seats every day lost for passenger numbers.

Do any of the airlines mentioned to take up the slack left by Thomas cook actually have the available aircraft,staff or financial backing to do so quickly ?
Surely this sort of thing can’t be planned for by other airlines , it will be next summer at the earliest before some of these seats are replaced

Had it not been for the Max issues, then some of the slack might've been picked up. TUI aren't in a position to do anything, they are struggling with their own fleet availability at the moment. Jet2 have recently undertaken huge expansion and fleet additions, whether they can take on more, quickly, would be unknown at this stage. It may boost sales on EZY/FR, but FR are also having fleet issues with Max delays. EZY may be able to swap capacity around having A319/320/321's in the fleet.

Heaed that Titan has chartered some Smart lynx aircraft to bring pax back to the UK. If they use aircraft that TC were using I hope they take the TC logos off the aircraft. People with aviation knowledge will know they were chartered, but to the layman it is not going to look good with a TC aircraft arriving at a over seas airport.That will not look good and could even involve riots,and the biggest group of pax will be flight only.

There is talk around various forums as to who will take on the TC work. I think talk like that is not good and it affects lots of people that have and will loose their jobs. It has to get the stranded pax back to the UK that is the important matter. As time goes by some of the services will get picked up but mainly by the low cost sector It will be more or less next summer when things will start to show. I would not hold out much hope for the charter airlines picking up much as they have problems of their own. The only way charter airlines to picking up the TC work is if they expand,they will pick up a bit of Tc work but not all of it.

On a personal level it’s a sad day to see this brand go from the tourist industry.. I worked 5 years overseas for them as Sunworld, JMC and Thomas Cook.. the overseas team worked incredibly hard as did the airline team out of Palma..
I think it’s too early speculate on what next and echo the thoughts of others about those loosing jobs today and holiday makers getting home.
I hope in some way the brand can be saved, airline sold maybe and let’s not forget this a pan European company so much more gone than just the UK arm.
Very sad day indeed.

A
On a personal level it’s a sad day to see this brand go from the tourist industry.. I worked 5 years overseas for them as Sunworld, JMC and Thomas Cook.. the overseas team worked incredibly hard as did the airline team out of Palma..
I think it’s too early speculate on what next and echo the thoughts of others about those loosing jobs today and holiday makers getting home.
I hope in some way the brand can be saved, airline sold maybe and let’s not forget this a pan European company so much more gone than just the UK arm.
Very sad day indeed.
saying all that, condor are all flying today. Same company... I don’t know what the situation is here.. I did read from an old friend and TC crew that they were bitter about this.. I don’t know the details..

My heart goes out to all those working with Thomas cook. I personally have two holidays that are booked through their shops. Fortunately both appear to be safe. We also know staff in those shops who have been subjected to some abhorrent abuse in those shops over the last weekend.

This is a major blow to Bristol - about 7% of seats available this summer are tcx and that will be hard to replace. Coming on top of bmi it hasn’t been a particularly good year for the airport. The danger now is becoming ever more reliant on easyJet to continue growing .

A

saying all that, condor are all flying today. Same company... I don’t know what the situation is here.. I did read from an old friend and TC crew that they were bitter about this.. I don’t know the details..
It's only the UK operations that have gone into liquidation and there is enough of a separation between the companies that they can continue to operate.

As others have said it’s highly unlikely, for the reasons already outlined, that many inroads will be made into the lost Thomas Cook programme at BRS when it comes to next summer. I posted the other day that I reckon that Thomas Cook handled around half a million passengers a year at BRS - give or take. The number of seats shown in another post is for the main part of the summer. The shoulder seasons had fewer seats and the winter fewer again with only one based aircraft for much of the winter that typically flew one rotation on most days.

The loss of Thomas Cook won’t have come as a surprise to those airlines that might be interested in filling some of the gaps - if they were in a position to do so. The airlines concerned have no doubt been looking at how they might benefit but it has to be remembered that larger Thomas Cook airports than BRS will probably be nearer the front of the queue.

Thomas Cook operated summer routes to Enfidha (2 x weekly) and perhaps surprisingly was the only carrier on the route. It was also the only airline to operate to Almeria and to Preveza.

Its busiest routes by frequency were Antalya and Dalaman, both 5 x weekly in summer, Zante 4 x weekly and Palma 3 x weekly. Whilst there are other airlines operating these routes that might increase their own frequencies a bit, I would have thought it not likely that the full Thomas Cook frequency on them would be replicated.

On a personal note my wife and I were on holiday in Majorca in March 1991 when the International Leisure Group (ILG) ceased trading. This was a major holiday group with Intasun being the chief holiday brand, and it was the second largest package tour operator after Thomson. It owned its own airline, Air Europe, that also stopped operating. Fortunately for us, we were with Thomson Holidays and Britannia Airways but I remember the stress and concern of some ILG customers staying at our hotel when the news broke. Instant communication was not as it is today and the news came as a shock to some ILG customers.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock