Carried across a combination of dedicated freight flights and
on passenger services, Birmingham processed over
21 thousand tonnes of cargo in 2010, up 65% on last year
During 2010, freight activity accounted for 3,121 flights, with
scheduled express freight services operated to France, Ireland
and the Netherlands, plus ad-hoc services to and from points
all over Europe

Re: Birmingham Airport News 2011

Im not surprised BHX has finally made it into the top 10, the nights at BHX are like an eastern European airport with all the antonovs parked on it! I suppose the close of CVT had a helping hand for BHX too.

Just out of interest, was BHX the number 10 position, or is it higher up the chart than that?

Would be interesting to see what the top 10 actually looks like?

Id hazard a guess and say:

LHR - mainly belly with some cargo ops
EMA - mainly cargo ops
MAN - mix of belly/cargo ops
STN - mainly cargo ops (I wouldnt think easy/RYR carry much cargo)
LGW - mainly belly cargo
GLA - mainly belly cargo
BHX - mix of belly/cargo ops
LTN - mainly cargo ops (as STN)
MSE - cargo ops
BFS - seems to be quite a few mail flights etc?

Hmm, I wasnt far off. BHX at number 9 though, not bad!

LHR 1,472988
EMA 273630
STN 202238
MAN 115922
LGW 104032
BFS 29716
LTN 28473
MSE 28103
BHX 21605
EDI 20357

world_rep said:
Im not surprised BHX has finally made it into the top 10, the nights at BHX are like an eastern European airport with all the antonovs parked on it! I suppose the close of CVT had a helping hand for BHX too.

Just out of interest, was BHX the number 10 position, or is it higher up the chart than that?

Would be interesting to see what the top 10 actually looks like?

Id hazard a guess and say:

LHR - mainly belly with some cargo ops
EMA - mainly cargo ops
MAN - mix of belly/cargo ops
STN - mainly cargo ops (I wouldnt think easy/RYR carry much cargo)
LGW - mainly belly cargo
GLA - mainly belly cargo
BHX - mix of belly/cargo ops
LTN - mainly cargo ops (as STN)
MSE - cargo ops
BFS - seems to be quite a few mail flights etc?

I can tell you now that Easyjet and Ryanair dont take cargo at all. Many many moons ago Ryanair used to carry a shed load of cargo but then came MOL with the requirement for a very quick turnaround. Cargo took the hit as this was the delay for their flights. From then on the only thing loaded on board is PAX baggage.

Source for this. My wife used to work for the Company that sold the space on these flights (back in the days when they operated B732's and the ocassional BAC1-11)

Just seen on another forum that things may be changing for cargo ops at BHX.

Apparently the Western Apron has been marked for freighter operations using 747 Combi and MD11 type aircraft. There is also a very strong rumour that an Antonov 124 will be visiting during October.

The last time I saw one of these beasts here I was just returning from Jersey with the Wife (must be about 10 years ago possibly more).

As I mentioned this is information being shown on a different forum, so I cannot confirm anything as yet. I do know that part of the old terminal here on the Elmdon site is being demolished (thankfully the old terminal itself is safe it being a protected building), for a new hanger to be built.

Hopefully this will be the start of something big for BHX.

And lo and behold BHX now loose Atlantic Airways back to Coventry.

Apparently the service moved back earlier this week with services to MST (and Lille I think) from Ireland.

Hopefully this will mean the apron will now be available for bigger and better things to come in it's place!!! :LOL:

Whilst it might be a blessing in disguise especially if the airport can attract a larger operation, but surely it would have been better had the airport tried to accommodate the flights. However small the Atlantic Airways operation might have been, business is business and for the airport it's better at Birmingham than at Coventry.

I would normally agree that business is business, however in this case which is more preferable:-

Option 1
Small packages on board ATP's etc, or,

Option 2
Widebody freighters coming in from the Far East (potentially based on rumours that have been floating around).

IF (and it is a big IF) the widebody freighters come into BHX there is a chance for return traffic being shipped out on board when they go back which opens up options for forwarders such as ourselves.

I hate seeing any business go from BHX but we do have to look at the bigger picture. When the Jaguar flights were coming in the Airport must have been making money from the landing fees alone (let alone the handling agent charging for the handling of the flights). BHX must make the decision do we want to concentrate on the small packages or the bigger volumes (potentially attracting other carriers once they see what can be done at a reasonably small regional airport).

CL44

I take the point about Atlantic moving back to Coventry but is there any reason why BHX couldn't go for both options?

I ask this in all innocence as I know you have a great deal of experience in this field.

The possible problem with handling both at the one time is apron space. There is a new hangar being built just by the Gateway Estate (I don't know who for as yet but I will try to find out) which will obviously affect the amount of free space available. When you consider that there could be as many as 4-5 ATP types parked up during the day as well as all the other GA coming in (PAX charters etc) we could see severe problems with space if an MD11 suddenly pops in to offload upwards of 85000 kilos.

In an ideal world we would have enough space to handle this all together. Thinking off the top of my head could the cross runway be developed with all that space running along the A45 for warehouse / handling facilities. The question there is who would be willing to pump that sort of money into the infrastructure at this time without guarantees of how much business could be pushed through.

Please do not get me wrong on this. The more carriers come into BHX the better as far as I am concerned. It would make my life easier if we had flights from every major Airline coming into BHX with cargo rights for both in and out bound flights. I am however a realist and I jnow that this is just a pipe dream. BHX have to make commercial decisions on which Airlines are invited to come and serve this Airport. We cannot win every Airline over and so we must trust the Marketing Dept to "cherry-pick" which Airlines we have a fighting chance to win over and start services which can be profitable for all concerned. These guys do earn their money without enough praise for the results they do kick in with. If I was wearing a hat I would take it off to them!!!

Thank you for that explanation - most informative and instructive.

I like to keep an eye on things at BHX having used the airport for the first time last year and was impressed with it.

FedEx are to use an A300 on the first week in Feb arriving on the Fri and staying till the Mon. This is for staff training to allow them to use it in the future if loads are strong. Subject to change of course.

Hi guys
Heard rumours WFS have taken the old Menzies shed...
Anybody know if they're having both in tandem or leaving the servisair shed?
I'd assume if their having both, either a big contract *cough* emirates *cough* is being taken from servisair or preparations for a new carrier...

Have not heard of WFS taking on the old Menzies shed. Working in tandem (whilst not unheard of) could be very awkward. I see the possibility of another handling agent coming on the scene being more likely.

I must be getting old as I still remember British Airways being in Hangar 3, Servisair being in Forward House and the old Menzies shed being built for Federal Express!!! Up until a couple of years ago the bus stop on the A45 on the way into Birmingham still had some grafitti about the management at Federal Express dating back to when they closed the facility.

If anyone does move into the old Menzies shed they will have a fair bit of work to do. The warehouse was emptied of all shelving etc when Menzies left. Also the offices above have not been occupied for a number of years so will need a darn good clear out (and a fair bit of heating as well after the last few winters).

I must say i do prefer it your way CL44, another handling agent is more of an exiting prospect!!

Ek leaving to dnata is inevitable, it would just be a matter of when they arrive...
Update regarding the old Menzies shed, dnata has first refusal, curiously dnata execs have recent been seen at WFS... Who knows what they are up to

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock