News Guru

Administrator
Apr 10, 2010
EUROPE
European-Union
[textarea]Delta business passengers get Gatwick lounge access

Delta Air Lines Business Class passengers and Elite Members of Delta’s frequent flyer scheme can now use the new No.1 Traveller Lounge at Gatwick Airport for free. The new ‘super lounge’ at Gatwick’s North Terminal opened last week. It offers a complimentary bistro-style menu, a fully tended bar, mini-cinema, family rooms, games rooms and free Wi-Fi throughout.

There’s also a Travel Spa where with showers and a range of (paid for) spa and salon services, such as manicure, pedicure, massage, facials, hairdressing and rufa fish foot massage. The Business Centre is equipped with computer stations, print and fax facilities, self-service refreshments and private meeting rooms.

Passengers can also have foreign currency delivered to the lounge, book travel insurance online and take advantage of the personal shopper service from World Duty Free.

Source[/textarea]

Delta ditches Gatwick flights

Delta is to add a second daily flight between Heathrow and Atlanta from April, but as a result will drop its only remaining service from Gatwick.

The carrier has gradually decreased its services from Gatwick over the last few years, with flights to New York JFK being dropped in 2008 and Cincinnati services ceasing the following year (see online new.

The second daily flight from Heathrow will commence on April 18, operated by B767-400ER aircraft featuring 39 fully flat business class seats. Delta added that the flight would begin "shortly before" the opening of the new Maynard H. Jackson International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Perry Cantarutti, Delta’s senior vice president – Europe, Middle East and Africa, said: “The expansion of our Heathrow-Atlanta service is a great way to celebrate the new international terminal in Atlanta, which will provide a world-class facility for our customers."

Source

Perry Cantarutti, Delta’s senior vice president – Europe, Middle East and Africa, said: “The expansion of our Heathrow-Atlanta service is a great way to celebrate the new international terminal in Atlanta, which will provide a world-class facility for our customers."

I doubt that the owners of Gatwick Airport would agree with those sentiments.

Seasider said:
Does Gatwick have any long haul routes apart from "leisure" ones?

Gatwick used to have a sizable long haul offering with BA but I'm not sure what they offer any more.

BA and Virgin still offer long haul to the mainly leisure destinations such as the West Indies, Mauritius, Las Vegas and Mexico .

There are also a few long haul routes to the Far East with other mainly smaller airlines. This programme seems fluid with routes starting and stopping.

Emirates flies 3 x daily to Dubai but there is no Etihad or Qatar at Gatwick.

Well i know Emirates are wanting to up there flights to A380 from Gatwick but currently can't as the airport doesn't have the facilities for an aircraft it's size.

Virgin Atlantic have shown interest in operating the A380 from Gatwick.

As for Delta, they should have moved the Atlanta flights to Heathrow and place the Miami flight to Gatwick, it would have worked out cheaper for them.

Why is there such an obsession with London Heathrow? Why is it airlines are so keen on serving Heathrow when there are two other perfectly good airports in London which have spare capacity. I don't normally think politics should get involved with the way airports are run but I do wonder if the government should insist London Gatwick or Stansted should take on one of the Airline Alliances.

Thoughts???

They will soon realize there mistakes though after all Heathrow is at 99% capacity soon airlines will realize in order to expand more in the London the market they will need to start thinking about other airports, Korean Air, Air China have already thought about this by introducing the flights from Gatwick.

What i don't get why operate from an airport that is over crowded, can lead up to a few hours delay if the flight misses it slot, charges a lot for the slots, can take hours to get to London it self when there is another airport that offers, cheaper slot fee's, better services, minimal delays and has a direct express train that takes less than 30 minutes to get to the centre of London.

Concorde Lover said:
They will soon realize there mistakes though after all Heathrow is at 99% capacity soon airlines will realize in order to expand more in the London the market they will need to start thinking about other airports, Korean Air, Air China have already thought about this by introducing the flights from Gatwick.

What i don't get why operate from an airport that is over crowded, can lead up to a few hours delay if the flight misses it slot, charges a lot for the slots, can take hours to get to London it self when there is another airport that offers, cheaper slot fee's, better services, minimal delays and has a direct express train that takes less than 30 minutes to get to the centre of London.

The Star Alliance could do with moving to either Gatwick or Stansted. It might seem like a bold move but it would allow the One World Alliance to expand at Heathrow and in turn enable many more new destinations.

Why is there such an obsession with London Heathrow? Why is it airlines are so keen on serving Heathrow when there are two other perfectly good airports in London which have spare capacity. I don't normally think politics should get involved with the way airports are run but I do wonder if the government should insist London Gatwick or Stansted should take on one of the Airline Alliances.

Thoughts???

Now that LHR and LGW are in separate ownership there might be scope for Gatwick's owners to offer incentives.

Airlines and overseas passengers (especially business) have always favoured Heathrow. After the war it was generally known as 'London Airport' as it grew from a tented city where passengers checked in for flights, which may have been the signal that this was the place to be.

LHR is also a bit nearer the centre of London than Gatwick though with rail and motorway connections from both there isn't that much in it.

It may be also that as LHR grew as the capital's main airport Gatwick was regarded more as a leisure airport from the word go though of course it once had a larger inter-continental network than is currently the case.

With the government's refusal to sanction an additional runway at Heathrow something will have to give in the future.

I'm not sure that the same applies to the New York area's two main international airports at JFK and Newark. A lot of people regard Newark as being more convenient for some sections of New York city than JFK, even though Newark is actually in New Jersey.

Then again Heathrow is situated in the Borough of Hillingdon and Gatwick is in West Sussex.

Delta schedule from airlineroute:

Boston – London Gatwick eff 21MAY20 1 daily 757
DL112 BOS2100 – 0845+1LGW 75W D
DL113 LGW1030 – 1320BOS 75W D

It seems like Delta are pre empting JetBlues arrival with 757 services launched from Gatwick, Manchester and Edinburgh from Boston.

Gatwick to gain a US operater again. Delta are planning a route to JFK in Summer 2023.

Source- SeabM1997 Twitter

They originally planned to launch Boston from Gatwick back in 2019/20, but obviously Covid put an end to that. Good to see some kind of Delta/Virgin presence back at Gatwick.

They originally planned to launch Boston from Gatwick back in 2019/20, but obviously Covid put an end to that. Good to see some kind of Delta/Virgin presence back at Gatwick.

One day Virgin might go back to LGW as well.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock