Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go Michael, this is the reason we decided to fly to NQY, this is taking into account no breaks and clear roads. You would need a min of 2 stops with a 5 year old on board if not 3 each being 30 mins so thats another hour (min) to add on. Traffic is and never has been clear so there’s at least another hour to add on, any accidents could easily add 2-3 hours.
The flight took 39 mins, 1hr 20mins to get to MAN and 1h and 5mins from NQY to out hotel.....money well spent in my opinion. I lived in Devon for 10 years which is 2.5 hours up the road and used to commute once a month back North, I know what its like in August especially on Friday which is when we are going back up North.
Offint, with respect to you I've done the trip many times myself and don't need a map for illustration. Yes it is a long journey, yes it is a busy one in August and can be at any time of year, and yes taking a little one with you requires stops which otherwise you may not need but my point was purely on price. With your own vehicle you may loose a day at each end travelling but it doesn't cost you £1200 - or anywhere near. Added to that you no doubt hired a car while down there - more added cost. Personally I've never flown to NQY but have flown to Exeter many times. It's fast and convenient, no arguments with that, my gripe was the cost involved and, as you said yourself, flying from LBA would have been significantly dearer still. Different people, different opinions, different circumstances. End of. :)

I can recommend Gloucester Services as a stop-off point. However, the A42/M42/M5 is always a total nightmare at some point, and once you are off the A30 in Cornwall, then good luck with that.

I can recommend Gloucester Services as a stop-off point. However, the A42/M42/M5 is always a total nightmare at some point, and once you are off the A30 in Cornwall, then good luck with that.

Guys I find if you travel overnight, set off in the early hours (Let the Kids sleep in the back) you'll get to Cornwall a hell of a lot quicker from Yorkshire due to there simply being alot less traffic on the motorway's. Doing it through day can hell due to traffic in and around Birmingham (M42/M5) & Bristol (M5) if you hit them at the wrong time of day, especially at this time of year with it being height of summer holidays.

I recommenced Taunton Deane services on the M5 between J25 and J26 for a good breakfast. Also the A30 is not as bad as it use to be since it was upgraded to dual carriageway from Exeter all the way down to the A39 Junction at Carland Cross.

Not open all night either as stopped last year and it didn`t open until 5 or 6am,
7 to 8 hours from Stockport with stops for dog and driver change and thats is
as far as Mullion which is a hour further than Newquay, A30 is a doddle now
it is dual all the way and other roads no problem admittedly don`t go end July into August
as don`t need to, worst part is all the road works on M5/M6 around Birmingham and Stoke.
Looking forward to heading down 31st August overnight to arrive 10.00ish and even weather looks
like it is going to be good.

We left Polurrian Bay Hotel in Mullion (deepest Cornwall) this morning with a 12 year old and 5 year old. 1 hour and 10 mins later we were handing the car back Europecar at NQY airport which was a doddle as I was the only one, rain and wind was very bad, Flybe were at it again telling everybody at the boarding gate to put their hand luggage in the measuring frame, having the 5 year old was like a joker card as they let us board first and never asked us to ours in...loads of cases were put to one side for the hold and it wasn’t the height it was was width (outwards)...fight 45 mins, poor sods coming back in weather like this on the motorways, feel sorry for them.

Ah, the Polurrian. My wife used to stay there with her parents and brother on family holidays in the late 50s/early 60s before we were married.

I'm with you on the driving situation. We never drive to Scotland from Bristol. We always fly and either hire a car when we get there or travel around by train.

It would have been an awful journey to Leeds from Cornwall by road today. The rain, very heavy at times, has been lashing the South West for most of the day.

The cost of car hire at Newquay airport is eyewatering..I priced one up for a March trip, Lord knows what it is in peak season but certainly adds greatly to any `Fly` there..

Flybe are to reduce the Leeds - Dusseldorf service to from 6x to 4x weekly operating Mon, Thu, Fri & Sun from January to the end of March. 2020.

They are also reducing the Leeds to Belfast City service from 5x to 4x daily on Tue & Wed during the month of January 2020.

Talk around exeter airport yesterday is that theirs more cuts to come, with more base closers, talked about is IOM base closeing or be give back to stobart to ops, also lots of talk about cuts at belfast city and glasgow. All bases and all routes are being looked at, but also the good routes that make money will get more flights, i can see birmingham being cut more with easyjet getting bigger their. One route doing very well is exeter to paris i can see more flight their maybe 3x day, amsterdam is also up to 11x week from 8. Their is talk about the norwich flights being kept maybe 2\3 week. We will wait and see but IOM seems to def going.

Sadly not suprising. Flybe in its previous incarnation was an unsupported pyramid with too many routes and bases, costing but not paying. The new management are assessing and cutting where they need to in order for at least part of Flybe to survive and even grow. I think their mantra is, understandably, if it doesnt give good yield its gone.

Talk around exeter airport yesterday is that theirs more cuts to come, with more base closers, talked about is IOM base closeing or be give back to stobart to ops, also lots of talk about cuts at belfast city and glasgow. All bases and all routes are being looked at, but also the good routes that make money will get more flights, i can see birmingham being cut more with easyjet getting bigger their. One route doing very well is exeter to paris i can see more flight their maybe 3x day, amsterdam is also up to 11x week from 8. Their is talk about the norwich flights being kept maybe 2\3 week. We will wait and see but IOM seems to def going.

Yeap the base on the Isle of Man will once again transfer to be operated by Stobart Air ATR72’s. The Flybe Dash 8's will be relocated to another base as the crews were informed last week...

Confirmed this morning by flybe, iom closing, taken over by stobart, talk is maybe stobart taken on more flybe routes bases etc.

I wish Stobart would taken on a non Flybe base - LBA! If Flybe won't do it, and Loganair won't either, then there is some seriously good business available to a domestic airline and Stobart with their ATR72s would do just fine. They already operate for Aer Lingus Regional and are increasing their flights to Dublin (an increase in flights!! whatever next??).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock