Status
Not open for further replies.
What an awful time it is for anyone within aviation (including myself) - yet another airline on the brink. You have to wonder how much the TC collapse had an effect on the Flybe operation - i know they only fed into MAN but that income is suddenly lost.

I do wonder what will happen with regards to the Government. If they are to not fund it (like they didn't TC) then you are potentially as already discussed here and on the other forum, potentially going to put the Flybe jobs at risk and alot of other jobs around the UK at risk too. All those employees at airports such as BHD, SOU, EXT, CWL - cleaners, immigration, shop assistants, ATC, ramp etc. Can this government (which someone described as a "quick sand" government - the voters who voted for the first time ever will quickly turn) afford such a mass number of unemployment?

What really needs to happen with the UK aviation industry - is a complete an utter review of the tax system! APD is killing domestic travel, whilst KLM are winning with feeding their massive hub from most places in the UK - that needs reviewing. I'm sorry to say but there is no way, not even within the next 30/40 years you can reach Scotland from anywhere South of Leeds by rail in under 1/2 hours. Flybe should be focusing on the Channel Island - UK market, BHX-UK Market, South Coast/Cardiff/Birmingham/MAN - EDI/GLA markets. Hopefully this will be sorted for all, then some real change will happen and it will become a member of Virgin.

@Offint if only. I wonder what airlines, the size, and who would be at LBIA if the airport was located at the Bottom of pool bank, just behind Pool village.

What an awful time it is for anyone within aviation (including myself) - yet another airline on the brink. You have to wonder how much the TC collapse had an effect on the Flybe operation - i know they only fed into MAN but that income is suddenly lost.

I do wonder what will happen with regards to the Government. If they are to not fund it (like they didn't TC) then you are potentially as already discussed here and on the other forum, potentially going to put the Flybe jobs at risk and alot of other jobs around the UK at risk too. All those employees at airports such as BHD, SOU, EXT, CWL - cleaners, immigration, shop assistants, ATC, ramp etc. Can this government (which someone described as a "quick sand" government - the voters who voted for the first time ever will quickly turn) afford such a mass number of unemployment?

What really needs to happen with the UK aviation industry - is a complete an utter review of the tax system! APD is killing domestic travel, whilst KLM are winning with feeding their massive hub from most places in the UK - that needs reviewing. I'm sorry to say but there is no way, not even within the next 30/40 years you can reach Scotland from anywhere South of Leeds by rail in under 1/2 hours. Flybe should be focusing on the Channel Island - UK market, BHX-UK Market, South Coast/Cardiff/Birmingham/MAN - EDI/GLA markets. Hopefully this will be sorted for all, then some real change will happen and it will become a member of Virgin.

@Offint if only. I wonder what airlines, the size, and who would be at LBIA if the airport was located at the Bottom of pool bank, just behind Pool village.
The government might view Flybe in a different light to Thomas Cook with the latter probably seen as a holiday airline.

Flybe, on the other hand, links a lot of domestic communities, some far-flung, so that might be a reason to assist. However, I can't see the government propping up any loss-making airline for long.

If the airline finds itself short of funds on a short-term basis that's one thing, but if its business plan is fundamentally flawed that's another.

The government might view Flybe in a different light to Thomas Cook with the latter probably seen as a holiday airline.

Flybe, on the other hand, links a lot of domestic communities, some far-flung, so that might be a reason to assist. However, I can't see the government propping up any loss-making airline for long.

If the airline finds itself short of funds on a short-term basis that's one thing, but if its business plan is fundamentally flawed that's another.

I hope the latter. Flybe wouldn't of received the funding from the consortium of investors it did in 2019 including Virgin. Virgin seem like they have got a good plan (hopefully) for the airline.

If, IF, the worse was to happen what could we see from other regional airlines? Eastern Airlines and Logan Air?

I just wonder if they might do a bmi job! where by transferring all the good bits over to Loganair.

Basically let Flybe (Exeter) based business Collapse and transfer the all the good assets , routes and aircraft over to (Dublin) Stobart Air who then rebrand the whole business as Virgin Connect.

Last edited:
Eastern already do the Leeds - Southampton, so hopefully that would continue. Re Belfast...perhaps Jet2 could reinstate their daily link to Aldergrove...which would be a better fit tor the 'classics'. Jet2 maybe also for Newquay?

Almost sounds like we are pre empting failure here. It hasn't happened yet and lets hope it doesn't. This would be a huge disaster on so many levels
Hopefully the new consortium will find a way forward.
Instead of paying 1p a share may have been better to fold the old company and start again.
All the major parties except the Conservatives want to hike APD on internal U.K. flights and detailed this in their manifestos. Whilst the Conservatives can now dictate policy, they have to be mindful supporting regional U.K. flights is not a long term sensible policy. Whilst a hub feeder service/regional flyer, makes sense on a flight time scale, its a total no no in environmental terms.
Boris is being compared to the willy old fox Wilson, certainly his response to the Middle East crisis was text book Wilson, I hope he does not jump in to a knee jerk possible solution to any issues Flybe may raise, our internal transport issues are going to take at least 2 decades to resolve.
With a Wilson in Downing Street and an Andrew Jackson in the White House, at least we know the direction of travel for both countries

Looks like the Government might be working a deal with Connect Airways 3 owners Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Air and Cyrus Capital Partners to help bailout Flybe.

Let's hope something gets sorted but it has to be long term not a short term fix as that won't work, my fear is Flybe are probably already a sitting duck and this is another airline who are on their last legs

If they did go the whole hog and cut APD across the board to avoid non-compliance with EU rules, then would this not vastly increase our chances of getting some other UK domestic routes back?

If they did go the whole hog and cut APD across the board to avoid non-compliance with EU rules, then would this not vastly increase our chances of getting some other UK domestic routes back?
I agree completely and also it makes domestic more attractive to BA - it might go against the green councillors wishes though!

At least the PM has recognised publicly the importance of Flybe within the UK, and the importance of having the option of domestic air travel where needed and they are therefore looking at ways to help. Of course the climate campaigners are kicking off about it and presumably would rather see the 2500 staff lose their jobs than see any recovery package that makes flying more attractive. Lets hope that Flybe are saved, and properly this time.

We worry about the impact on LBA, but imagine the impact for some airports that are very reliant indeed on Flybe operations. Passenger numbers at the likes of Belfast City, Southampton, Cardiff and even Manchester (though they can afford to lose a few) would plummet, along with many other UK airports. Domestic air travel would reduce substantially overnight. As for LBA, we could end up with just one domestic route, to London, 10 times per week, though I feel sure some other airline would definitely want to operate the Belfast route given the passenger numbers, and hopefully Eastern would want to continue with Southampton without the Flybe franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock