First time I've read this thread but as a Manchester born man living in Wakefield (and working in Horsforth near LBA!) I'm interested to know what people think about the progress of DSA? Reading some of the earlier posts I think people were expecting it to be closed by now.
I guess they got the link road, was that the shot in the arm that was needed?

First time I've read this thread but as a Manchester born man living in Wakefield (and working in Horsforth near LBA!) I'm interested to know what people think about the progress of DSA? Reading some of the earlier posts I think people were expecting it to be closed by now.
I guess they got the link road, was that the shot in the arm that was needed?

The airport seems to be holding it's own now which is good. I'm glad they've finally got over the "longest runway in the UK" quotes which just made a laughingstock of the place. They seem to be picking up a decent amount of cargo ops too which is probably the airports natural growth route. #DSArocks

If the rumoured Wizz Air Base comes off, this would be a game changer especially if they went for the likes of Malga, Alicante , Palma etc.

As the DSA catchment area also cover's parts of North and West Yorkshire, plus Humberside, this could have a detrimental affect on LBA as "bucket and spade" flights is their core market.

Wizz opening a base at DSA is really the only option of significant growth apart from easyJet other airlines won't touch the place because they have bases close to DSA already. I wouldn't say rumour's of a base with Wizz are really happening tbh things are pretty quiet on the rumour front the airport is pretty good at keeping things under wraps till the last minute.

Just about every airport in the country do the same ! Manchester is a bit more forthcoming as they are getting more and more routes and airlines all the time.

I fully expect Wizz Air to open a base at Doncaster airport sooner or later. Hopefully from Liverpool too.

I have been wondering if Wizz might expand at Lpool too, they have recently gone head to head with Blue Air on some Eastern European routes . Also DSA and LPL are both Peel airports.

I have been wondering if Wizz might expand at Lpool too, they have recently gone head to head with Blue Air on some Eastern European routes . Also DSA and LPL are both Peel airports.
I wouldn't trust Peel to come up with the goods at DSA maybe the management team at Liverpool are better I suppose at Liverpool Blue Air and Wizz have one eye on each other a little. DSA doesn't have that and should be getting unserved routes on the departure board. DSA did grow on the back of Flybe and TUI will add capacity next year however that will come after a negative year pax wise Wizz starting Debrecen and Budapest also brings Wizz back up to 12 routes the number they had a few months back, to counter that though the airport has a shocking record at

1 Bringing carrier's in
2 Keeping them

Certainly makes life difficult.

For me DSA is under performing and should be connected to a number of destinations it isn't a Wizz base would potentially change all that.

All I can say is that Peel must employ some persuasive people by the amount of money they have extracted from here there and everywhere for their investment at DSA. Good luck to them although the one has to question the granting of monies from those concerned.

All I can say is that Peel must employ some persuasive people by the amount of money they have extracted from here there and everywhere for their investment at DSA. Good luck to them although the one has to question the granting of monies from those concerned.
Peel are a huge organisation, and very good at maximising inward investment from outside sources, including the initial €88 million grant from the EU to open the airport in the first place.
They also have invested their own funds in the site for, amongst other things, ILS upgrades, new Radar equipment and considerable investment in the Great Yorkshire Way approach road.
This latest improvement though will be funded as a loan, paid back as any other commercial loan would be.

Peel are a huge organisation, and very good at maximising inward investment from outside sources, including the initial €88 million grant from the EU to open the airport in the first place.
They also have invested their own funds in the site for, amongst other things, ILS upgrades, new Radar equipment and considerable investment in the Great Yorkshire Way approach road.
This latest improvement though will be funded as a loan, paid back as any other commercial loan would be.
Interesting way of doing it, like you say they are a huge organisation for the messing about with a loan and paying extra surely they would be better stumping up all the cash themselves.

I wonder if this will attract attention of the green freaks and do anything in their power to stop the extension? similar to what BRS, STN LBA & SOU are putting up with

Good for the region yes, good for Peel definitely good for the airport not really. The hotel that is near the airport now doesn't get used particularly so why more are needed I don't know.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock