Exeter International Airport (EXT) - General Thread

superking

Premium Member
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2013
DUB is a strange route from the southwest. I suppose the airport that does best passenger wise is BRS as they support 2 operators to DUB in Aer lingus and FR.BOH has a bit of a hit and miss operation as Aer lingus and FR in the past has operated DUB and pulled the service. It would be nice to know what the passenger up take to BRS from the South west,but as a stand alone service from EXE has and will struggle for what ever reason.I have a feeling that Aer lingus have or will be doing the Dub route but like a lot of other routes from every where struggle due to covid 19. Now is not the time to start a new service from where to where with this covid thing going on.As any new route that start has lowish passenger numbers and with covid 19 around its makes any routes have lower passenger numbers and hope airlines hang on to what ever route they struggle on,but airlines are a buisness and they have to make money or the route gets pulled.Perhaps FR will try Dub from EXE when things pick up and if also FR are still at Exe in some way.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
DUB is a strange route from the southwest. I suppose the airport that does best passenger wise is BRS as they support 2 operators to DUB in Aer lingus and FR.BOH has a bit of a hit and miss operation as Aer lingus and FR in the past has operated DUB and pulled the service. It would be nice to know what the passenger up take to BRS from the South west,but as a stand alone service from EXE has and will struggle for what ever reason.I have a feeling that Aer lingus have or will be doing the Dub route but like a lot of other routes from every where struggle due to covid 19. Now is not the time to start a new service from where to where with this covid thing going on.As any new route that start has lowish passenger numbers and with covid 19 around its makes any routes have lower passenger numbers and hope airlines hang on to what ever route they struggle on,but airlines are a buisness and they have to make money or the route gets pulled.Perhaps FR will try Dub from EXE when things pick up and if also FR are still at Exe in some way.
Taking up your point about South West market size for Dublin these are the CAA stats for the route for the past four years prior to the pandemic. I've included BOH as Bournemouth/Poole and Dorset are included in the huge (area-wise) Government Region of the South West, even though realistically BOH is a South Coast airport.

Annual passenger numbers to Dublin from the below airports:

Bournemouth 3,013
Newquay 21,753
Exeter 35,682
Bristol 399,094
Total 459,542

Bournemouth 149
Newquay 24,028
Exeter 38,041
Bristol 429,794
Total 492,012

Bournemouth nil
Newquay 29,156
Exeter 35,587
Bristol 429,127
Total 493,870

Newquay 30,534
Exeter 32,947
Bournemouth 47,188
Bristol 421,494
Total 532,163

In total then it's give or take half a million annual passenger journeys in recent years. The overwhelming majority use Bristol: 86.8%, 87.3%, 86.9%, 79.2% between 2016 and 2019 respectively.

How many the Bristol total includes from the catchments of the other airports is not information that is publicly available, therefore it's not possible for a judgement to be made as to how many could be realistically captured by those other airports if extra services were available, although in 2019 when BOH contributed far more substantially the BRS percentage of the overall larger total fell.

Airlines would know the origin and final destination of most of their passengers but it appears thus far that they have decided they are better served as businesses by the current arrangements when it comes to linking Dublin. It remains to be seen what the post-pandemic era brings to the industry generally and to airports and their individual routes specifically.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
EXT under Flybe i believe was a daily flight. I can't see Aer Lingus operating to Exeter especially as I think Blue Islands is going to operate the route in the future i believe?

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
EXT under Flybe i believe was a daily flight. I can't see Aer Lingus operating to Exeter especially as I think Blue Islands is going to operate the route in the future i believe?
Aer Lingus Regional operates from Newquay to Dublin (currently suspended because of the pandemic effect with NYQ temporarily closed to airline traffic) so EXT could be an option. I doubt that there would be a big enough market from EXT for both Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair to compete. The former would be a better option in my opinion given its US connectivity at DUB and the possibility of a more frequent service in time (say 2 x daily), whereas Ryanair at best would be unlikely to be more than a single daily flight on the 189-set B737-800s and point-to-point only.

Matt kenshole

Mar 1, 2020
Exeter
Let’s not forget aer lingus are currently operating from EXT on the Belfast route and we have an aer lingus owned maintenance subsidiary also based at EXT. that in mind I wouldent rule aer lingus out of more domestic routes from Exeter just yet.
EXT’s Belfast route is the only route that has not ceased to operate during the whole pandemic and has appeared to be a fairly full flight on the multiple times I have seen it come in.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
EXT’s Belfast route is the only route that has not ceased to operate during the whole pandemic and has appeared to be a fairly full flight on the multiple times I have seen it come in.
Have I misunderstood this part of your post? I ask because according to the CAA stats EXT-BHD did not operate in April, May, June or July in 2020, when from April to June no passengers were shown at the airport at all.

The other months' passenger totals are shown as below - with March the first month when the pandemic effects began to be felt (as at other airports):

January 1157
February 1487
March 177
August 183
September 1011
October 723
November 451
December yet to be published

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.