Surely it's too coincidental it covers routes T3 already op. There is nothing new. So who can find out what the crack with T3 is in all this? Wonder if T3 are going to migrate SOUth or even start Creating Western Links! I certainly would Love Being Able to fly T3 from my local airport but sadly, like most airlines, it seems to be given a wide berth. Strange with such a huge and affluent catchment area. It's certainly a puzzler at the moment is this one!

Many years ago I used Teesside frquently to use KLM for connections and I recall flying RYR from MME to Girona before they, and everyone else, left the airport to rot. Nice to see life slowly appearing there again although I dread to think what sort of state the terminal is in today as I doubt that much, if any money, has been spent there in the interim.

Sounds an odd relationship to me.

"With now a 100 per cent uptake by another commercial operator taking on the risks associated to the initial route development that was commenced before the Coronavirus outbreak.

"The full commercial liability uptake of routes started by other operators is how the agreement was planned to work and shows what a great success it has proved to be.
In accordance with the agreement, Eastern Airways will now look to develop further routes in conjunction with its friends at Teesside International Airport to include further domestic and some exciting new European sun destinations.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...-transfers-teesside-airport-flights-airlines/

Sounds an odd relationship to me.

"With now a 100 per cent uptake by another commercial operator taking on the risks associated to the initial route development that was commenced before the Coronavirus outbreak.

"The full commercial liability uptake of routes started by other operators is how the agreement was planned to work and shows what a great success it has proved to be.
In accordance with the agreement, Eastern Airways will now look to develop further routes in conjunction with its friends at Teesside International Airport to include further domestic and some exciting new European sun destinations.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...-transfers-teesside-airport-flights-airlines/
It sounds a bit odd to me too. The Northern Echo is just repeating a release from the airport though so it is, as is usual, a lazy piece by a newspaper. What also interested me was that Ryanair are going back to MME to run the Alicante route. I don't remember the reasons why they left there initially so it seems strange that they are returning, presumably with an away based aircraft as the route, according to the airport, is going to be Ryanairs only, non specified frequency, route from there. It will be interesting to get more details of that one in due course and compare it with the Ryanair Alicante offering from LBA.

according to the airport, is going to be Ryanairs only
Alicante and Palma de Mallorca are the routes that Ryanair will be operating, I suspect that they have been given some sort of discount.
It'll be interesting to see if Eastern do add anything else.

Splashing the cash at Teesside.
"To date TVCA has funded – through loans – the £40.2m cost of buying the airport in 2019 and provided a further £19.4m to support operational expenditure, along with £15m towards capital expenditure.

The LDRS revealed last November that the airport made a £2.6m loss in the previous 12 months, although this was said to be in line with a ten-year turnaround plan."

Teesside Airport Viewing Platform to Reopen

A ONCE-popular viewing platform at Teesside Airport will make a return following years of closure, it has been confirmed.

The Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen has said the existing viewing area will be renovated to include an elevated viewing platform.

Speaking to The Northern Echo this week, Mr Houchen made the promise that it would be open to the public by the end of the year, aiming for a date in the next few months.
It is the first time a commitment to make the facility available has been made since the original viewing platform was closed a number of years ago.

SEE MORE: Pictures show how Teesside Airport is becoming unrecognisable in major refit
At the time, visitors far-and-wide expressed major disappointment with some taking to social media and calling for it to remain open.
But in recent years, following the airport's overhaul and re-introduction of a number of commercial flights, many have re-ignited calls asking for its return.
The Northern Echo: The Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen at the viewing area Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT
The Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen at the viewing area Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT

Confirming the plans to The Echo, Mr Houchen said: "The viewing platform will absolutely be reopening.

"Because as well as getting new flights, and creating jobs at the airport, one of the things that always crops up is people saying 'when is the viewing platform opening.

"People tell me about their stories and the history of them coming down to the airport, watching the flights taking off.
"We want to be able to do that again, it's not just about the future, but about people being able to celebrate a fantastic airport."
It is understood that the new viewing platform will give visitors uninterrupted views of the runway, while early plans suggest it will be around 8ft in height.
The Northern Echo: Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT
Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT
Mr Houchen said: "So we're reopening the viewing platform and are hoping to get it open in the next few months, but I've been told I'm only allowed to say by the end of the year, but hopefully it'll be sooner than that.
"We've got some pretty ambitious plans, we want to make sure people can see all of the flights that are going to be taking off from our airport in the weeks, and months to come."

The plans follow on from pictures earlier this week which revealed how work to transform the terminal building remained "on schedule" for the holiday season.

Work is set to be completed by mid-May, in time for the airport's first Ryanair departure on June 1.

Every credit to Houchen and his team for taking some difficult decisions and spending money on the terminal refurb in anticipation of airlines returning and MME becoming an airport once again. I haven't been near the place for quite some years and, under Peel, it went downhill pretty fast and, as far as I know, hasn't had a penny spent on it for a long time so it must have been in a pretty awful state. Getting Ryan back has probably cost a few bob but if it does the trick all well and good. Fingers crossed for them.

Just a passing thought but I wonder if any other operators will be tempted to explore operations from MME and join Ryan and TUI in 2022? Jet2 for example as they aren't shy when it comes to trying new airports and building on any success slowly but surely.

Just a passing thought but I wonder if any other operators will be tempted to explore operations from MME and join Ryan and TUI in 2022? Jet2 for example as they aren't shy when it comes to trying new airports and building on any success slowly but surely.
According to AA Route Planner Teesside Airport (MME) is roughly 45 miles from Newcastle Airport and 60 miles from Leeds-Bradford Airport, both of which are significantly bigger than MME with greater potential in terms of catchment size.

With this is mind Is it really possible for MME to be much more than a niche airport? Could it genuinely rival NCL (in particular because it's nearer) or LBA? Even with the amounts of public money that appear to be ploughed in which surely could not carry on indefinitely.

Living the other end of the country I have no detailed knowledge of the markets in West Yorkshire and the North East but I get the impression that MME is, in football parlance, no more than a League One club when things are going well for it, whereas NCL and LBA are established Championship clubs with the possibility of reaching the Premier League if they can get their act together.

You are quite correct in mentioning MME as 'League 1'. They always have been and I suspect that they always will be. However, my question was based on a scenario where the airport, in order to get up and running effectively, threw a bit of money around to holiday airlines to attract them. When I used Teesside regularly they did quite good holiday business plus of course they had KLM feeding Schipol. KLM will return once the goverment there gets its' backside into gear so the airport will undoubtedly be trying to get at least one more carrier in for the holiday market. The catchment area isn't too shabby. There is Sunderland (Nissan) to the north, Darlington on the doorstep, and ,dare I say it, north Leeds. All of them have money floating around. Middlesborough and Hartlepool are still in the doldrums so whilst they come into the equation they are not as affluent as those already mentioned. If LBA doesn't get their planning permission I would imagine that a number of their clients wouldn't mind hopping up the A1/A19 either.

As I said earlier it was just a passing thought but from my past experience (long time ago now) it was a busy little airport. For it to be a success it needs to become a busy little airport once again and a £3m investment in 'front of house' suggests that this is the way they would like to go too.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock