TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Major shareholder puts up airport for sale

More unsettling news for this chronically under-performing airport.

Peel Airports Limited has decided to sell the majority shareholding it holds in Durham Tees Valley Airport. As a consequence, PwC have been appointed to actively seek a buyer for these shares and to oversee any subsequent sale process.

Peel owns 75 per cent of the airport, the ramainder being owned by six local authorities. It says the airport no longer fits within the company’s strategic plans for its portfolio of airports.

Rumours abound that KLM is to pull out of the airport which would be yet another body blow. One wonders how many more it could take.

Re: Durham Tees Valley Airport

I think the KLM rumours are just chinese rumours arrising from KLM dropping LPL..

Even so it is a shame to see the airport being run down to the point it has been. I tend to think that if they had perhaps stayed on the route of appeasing tour operators rather than trying to replace all of the summer routes with one based lo-co, they might have been in a better shape. This formula has only just worked at DSA, it was never going to work at MME.

I assume now that there will be more emphasis placed upon DSA. Hopefully we wont see a Pax Tax rolled out there too :nea:

I hope the KLM rumour is not true as I believe it would be the final straw as KLM must provide over 50% of MME passengers.

Seasider said:
I hope the KLM rumour is not true as I believe it would be the final straw as KLM must provide over 50% of MME passengers.

Earlier in the year the local rag reported that KLM had warned the airport that if it introduced an airport development tax it would pull out of the airport. I don't believe the airport has introduced a departure tax but it goes to show how vulnerable the service is.

[textarea]MPs fight to save Durham Tees Valley Airport

MPs from Teesside and County Durham have met to discuss a campaign to save Durham Tees Valley Airport. The airport's owners Peel Holdings announced last month that it would like to sell its majority stake in the airport, placing it on the market.

The seven local MPs held a meeting in in Stockton yesterday, and say they want the Durham Tees Valley to remain a passenger airport. After the meeting Darlington Labour MP Jenny Chapman said: ‘If government assistance is needed, then we need to make that case loud and clear.’

Source[/textarea]

What would happen to MME?

Do KLM/Eastern make much money on the flights they operate from there?

It makes me furious how MME used to have FlyGlobespan/Thomson and a score of European Charter Carriers in and out of the airport on a daily basis....! If only an airline would move in..! Isn't it proven that there is some demand at MME...!?

tomleeds said:
What would happen to MME?

Do KLM/Eastern make much money on the flights they operate from there?

It makes me furious how MME used to have FlyGlobespan/Thomson and a score of European Charter Carriers in and out of the airport on a daily basis....! If only an airline would move in..! Isn't it proven that there is some demand at MME...!?

Or does it prove there is demand if FlyGlobespan, Thomson and Bmibaby for that matter couldn't make a go of it? Maybe there just isn't the demand there to make it a profitable airport.

[textarea]Durham Tees Valley could be sold ‘in the next week’

Durham Tees Valley Airport will be sold ‘in the next week or so’, an MP told the Hartlepool Mail. Sedgefield MP Phil Wilson described the airport as an important economic asset and said he wants it to have a ‘viable aviation future that will benefit the whole region’.

In a passionate speech in the House of Commons this week, he said five or six parties have expressed an interest in buying the airport. He also asked Government officials to consider a public service obligation to ensure the return of flights from Durham Tees Valley to Heathrow.

The airport was put up for sale at the end of last year, when Peel Airports revealed it was looking for buyers for its majority stake. Mr Wilson acknowledged passenger numbers have dropped significantly in the last five years - from around 900,000 passengers each year to 180,000 now - but said he understands five or six parties have shown an interest in buying the struggling airport.

Source[/textarea]

It seems Peel Investments will be taking over the airport from Peel Airports..

pug said:

I can't see what difference that will make. Surely if Peel Airports can't make the airport successful, the Peel Investment side of the business wont either, that is unless they have something other than airports in mind?

Aviador said:
pug said:

I can't see what difference that will make. Surely if Peel Airports can't make the airport successful, the Peel Investment side of the business wont either, that is unless they have something other than airports in mind?

I think you are very near to hitting the nail on the head there Aviador. The words smoke and mirrors come to mind together with planning permission and development!! I think a long game (due to the current economic climate) is being played with closure of DTV within 12 months or so ("We tried but due to a lack of demand for flights from Tesside ...............") being the most likely outcome followed by eventual development.

Peel, in whichever guise, doesn't seem to have really tried at all to make a go of it. As far as airports are concerned I don't really see Peel as a success story (Sheffield - closed and developed, Donny - a white elephant from day one (but loads of land for future use) and Liverpool - the odd one out at the moment, but give it time.

PS Nearly forgot. It is official - the sale has gone through today.

Rumour of fruit is that FR are looking to base two aircraft at MME.

Whilst FR being relatively unpredictable, there are a couple of problems. Firstly the 'pax-tax' is why FR pulled out in the first place. Secondly, despite NCL not really being served by FR, LBA is a growing base for them..

[textarea]New chairman for Durham Tees Valley Airport

Durham Tees Valley Airport has appointed Robert Hough as its chairman. Mr Hough has been a director of airport owner Peel Holdings since 1986 and was responsible for its airports division from 2003 - 2009.

Previously a partner in a large firm of solicitors he is currently Chairman of the Northwest Regional Development Agency and of the Liverpool City Local Enterprise Partnership.

He said ‘It has been a very challenging period - and the challenges will continue - but there is a determination to both secure our existing business base and build for the future.’

For more on this airport news story visit: http://www.durhamteesvalleyairport.com/ ... -role.html[/textarea]

KLM City Hopper, Fokker 70 PH-JCT had a rejected take-off this morning at Durham and emergency crews were in attendance. It was found that smoke alarm wet off in the Toilet was triggered in the Cockpit

So while the runway was closed 2x flights had to be diverted to Newcastle, TOM1MY, from Alicante operated Boeing 737-800WL, G-TAWJ and KLM1533 from Amsterdam operated by Fokker 70, PH-WXC

a300boy said:
I see Thomsons have pulled out of Teeside next summer and the website re-direct you to Robin Hoods Thomson program. Sorry for the airport supporters up there but it would be silly to drive past Lbia to fly from Robin Hood. They will probably go north to Newcastle anyway.

Very disappointing news for the airport and I see Thomson's are up to their usual tricks of suggesting an alternative airport of their choice as opposed to the customers choice. Very poor customer care from them and unfortunately we've become all too accustomed to with them. People aren't so stupid, they'll either vote with their feet and use another operator (if there's any left at DVT) or from another airport of their own choice, not Thomson's.

I don't think Thomson are to blame for this decision..

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/bu ... es-6159798

I think this is more a sign of what the owners will do once their public sector backers and stakeholders are less welcoming when it comes to dishing out grants for their grand schemes.. Wasn't it only recently that the key leaders in the North East chose to focus on NCL as their airport of choice?

"failed multi-million pound bid for Regional Growth Fund cash"

I don't see how any decision about external funding has anything to do with whether or not Thomson operate flights from the airport during 2014. It's equally annoying that a company the size of Peel has been relying on state or European handouts to basically fund what they set out to do in the first place.

It wasn't so long ago that "key leaders in the North East" were proposing to build a new airport to replace both DTV and NCL.

Does this leave just KLM now? If I'm honest, I can't see any future in this airport.

Why are people surprised by this?

Peel are Developers not airport operators. Okay maybe they are currently operating an airport that has a future (LPL) but only because it sits nicely in an area where Peel have been buying land like theres no tomorrow for ages (plus loads of funding from here there and everywhere for regeneration etc).

DTV has been doomed as a passenger airport for a long time now (shame I know but very true) because Peel were only ever there to buy (cheaply) and sit on land for future development.

Think Sheffield and you've got the idea.

Keep your eye on DSA too!!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock