Well I think I will bow out of this Idea folks as some have said it was a crazy ridiculus idea that is just not popular or achievable without a lot of work and money, and as most seem more than happy with what they have then good luck folks and enjoy what Birmingham gives you with spotting vantage areas.
Just a couple of thoughts though - what if the multi storey car park becomes out of bounds, and the airport decide to take away that little smoking shelter in the long stay, so everybody then (Families, mothers pushing prams, wheel chair users, those on crutches, the elderly) are these folk going to be willing or pleased or even able to treck down that muddy overgrown path to get to the country park, even more so when its mot in the middle of summer.
My idea was to create something for everyone not just hard shelled aviation spotters who do dont mind standing out in any weather just to catch or photograph that special aircraft visitor.
Elmdon/Birmingham had half hearted facilities in the past and understood anr respected how important PR was to the airport, if it doesn't now - its a crying shame a shame on the airport for just putting money and investment as there only priorities.
Unfortuntaly manchester will always be laughing at Birmingham as it cares more for everyone (even if there visitor center is independent - its still encouraged by the airport) then you have the multi storey car park ontop of the terminal at man, no problems spotting there either (I should know I spent enough time there a few years back - even the security there are friendly and welcoming of spotters).

So thanks to those who showed an interest and showed an open mind.

Good luck to Brum spotters I'm sure you love routhing it :)

E.

Please accept my apologies if my tone sounded harsh. As an idea if money was no object then the plan would be sound. Obviously there could be rent etc from any retail outlets who open up at such a venue, but (and this is the big but), they will not open unless they are going to make money. BHX does not have the variety of visitors which means footfall would not be massive. Unless each visitor spent big money then the venture would lose money hand over fist. I see from my office how many people go to the top floor of the car park when something unusual is coming in and only rarely does that number exceed 10 people. I would love to see a dedicated viewing area purpose built with facilities attached, however I do not see anything happening in this manner in the foreseeable future.

Please accept my apologies if my tone sounded harsh. As an idea if money was no object then the plan would be sound. Obviously there could be rent etc from any retail outlets who open up at such a venue, but (and this is the big but), they will not open unless they are going to make money. BHX does not have the variety of visitors which means footfall would not be massive. Unless each visitor spent big money then the venture would lose money hand over fist. I see from my office how many people go to the top floor of the car park when something unusual is coming in and only rarely does that number exceed 10 people. I would love to see a dedicated viewing area purpose built with facilities attached, however I do not see anything happening in this manner in the foreseeable future.

There was nothing wrong with what you said, I understand where you and others are coming from. As a result, I think I'll also back away from this project for the foreseeable future.

The MAN AVP came about as back in the day there was literally nowhere to spot. Over the years it has grown organically into what is there now. I wonder, in today's climate, would the airport stump up the cash to build a similar facility from scratch? I have my doubts.

The thing is this thread is full of ideas about the layout and comments about how the local spotters deserve something but I am yet to see any sort of plan as to how this would be delivered (construction costs for starters) and how it would then become economically viable given the extensive ongoing maintenance and running costs? Does anyone have a realistic idea of predicted visitor numbers annually and what entrance fee would then need to be charged to give anyone with potential interest a return on their investment?

It's not meant to be harsh or trying to belittle the idea, it's just reality.

Anybody with the slightest bit of interest in this will want to know 1) when/how will I get my investment back and 2) how much profit will I make and will it be worth the considerable effort.

Mr Kehoe has already said that as far as he is concerned it is not economically viable but if someone had a business plan he would gladly look over it. Does anybody have one to send him?

As I said, it's not meant to be harsh and I do admire the enthusiasm. I'd love to see a dedicated viewing area but like everything, it comes down to pounds, shillings and pence and for it to work someone needs to make the figures add up :)

Please remember that Sheldon Country Park on a nice day with aircraft using 15 is one of the best
viewing areas you will find at any airport. OK the terminal is hidden but with aircraft landing and departing as close as you would get anywhere. 95% of people would rather spend an hour or two there with their families a picnic and a football than sitting in a viewing gallery.

The replies deserve a reply from me despite deciding to bow out - I fully understand and agree about the cost and what it would probably take to get an idea like this off the ground, but folks the idea was to look at this with a bigger picture, it wasn't just going to be aimed at the locals as a bit of luxury from what is already there, it was supposed to be an attraction for all that would bring folk from fairly distant locations looking for a day out or possibly more even a weekend.
The vision had to start somewhere and in tiny baby steps, getting a pre business plan person/company involved before any figurework was looked at(I wouldn't have the first idea about figures profit/loss expenditure - who would on here)? I assume interest in aviation has not decreased over the years infact I bet it has increased, but most generic folk will not visit a place esp after a long journey unless there are good facilities available for them.
I remember back to my Heathrow Queens building days over 40 visits I gave it over many years, It was a day out a whole package not just logging a few registrations with a few pics, if the Queens had not been there and it was how it is today for spotting - I would never have gone, I dont think satnding up against a fence in the cold or hot is a day out, I bet there are many many thousands of others who feel the same and who have become armchair aviation enthusiasts.

Yes like I siad - I agree with all the replies "Cant be done - Too expensive - No one would pay - The Country park is enough"

But good things do not come easy and have to start from somewhere.

Thank You for all the Interest folks and taking the time over the years to view my Idea.

E.

Also i don't know if anyone has already thought about this but IF there is another runway and terminal built over the other side of the M42 for long haul then depending on how they decide to use the runways won't most of the action be over that side? If so then then the viewing area will be even further away.

Please remember that Sheldon Country Park on a nice day with aircraft using 15 is one of the best
viewing areas you will find at any airport. OK the terminal is hidden but with aircraft landing and departing as close as you would get anywhere. 95% of people would rather spend an hour or two there with their families a picnic and a football than sitting in a viewing gallery.

(y)

Also i don't know if anyone has already thought about this but IF there is another runway and terminal built over the other side of the M42 for long haul then depending on how they decide to use the runways won't most of the action be over that side? If so then then the viewing area will be even further away.

Very good point.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock