Re: Are there any Apps that I can use to view Forums4Airport

I looked into getting an App for the forum some time ago Galaxy. What we ended up with was a mobile friendly version of the forum as opposed to an app. The iPhone and iPads were removed from the list as people said they preferred the standard webpage of the forum. Having had time to use the mobile version at great length I'm not overly happy with it but it's something I would have to pay my maintenance man to remove it and the forum can't afford it at the moment.

I've recently invested in a Samsung Galaxy android phone and a number of the forums I frequent are now TapaTalk friendly. I've just downloaded it and tried it out and have to admit that all the sites I have visited since doing so are a real pleasure to use because of it. No scrolling and re-sizing make it a superb addition to any site and as it seems a fair number of Members use mobiles to access forums4airports I imagine it would be a very good addition to consider Avaidor if you are able. The link is here http://www.tapatalk.com.

Have you used the mobile version of the site yet? We currently have a 'mobile' site where you would visit the website in the usual way and the forum displays in an easy to use mobile version with an option at the bottom of the page to view the site as a normal website.

Personally I prefer the standard website version and I find it easy enough to navigate using my older version Samsung Wave phone.

I will happily reconsider using tapatalk at the next forum upgrade but it would only be the standard free version due lack of £££ unless anybody wishes to donate $799 for the Basic Version or $3,499 for the Premium Version !!!???

Do you have a screen capture so I can see it?

Aviador said:
Do you have a screen capture so I can see it?

I haven't fathomed how to that yet but have sent you an email with more info which I hope will help you evaluate this App and decide if it is a viable option.

I'd personally strongly advise avoiding the use of mobile apps, for starters you don't know how secure they are going to be, this post gives you a very good reason why it should NOT be used: http://forumpromotion.net/forum/viewtop ... 37#p932337

You are far better off with a mobile style setup that is completely free and everyone can choose between mobile/full and access it no matter what type of device you've got IMHO.

Thanks Ashley.

The site is easy enough to view on newer mobiles these days plus some parts of the site such as the gallery aren't accessible from the mobile version which for me is a major disadvantage and I tend to revert to the standard website when I view the forum from my mobile.

The whole point of a mobile style is easy and quick browsing mobile access, although I can attempt to add those features to the mobile style if thats what everyone wants. However, I'd advise against it since smaller screens would be pushed to display it all and bigger screens can already switch over to the full style...

Also, another FYI: A mobile app would restrict more features than you'd think as that would just give basic access to the forums & messages and nothing else ;)

Last edited:

Sounds like more trouble than its worth Ashley. I do have another thing you could look at for me. I'll PM you later.

As far as a mobile version is concerned, I think a very simple 'mobile skin' could fill that void.

Not exactly sure what you mean by a "mobile skin" but if a "mobile skin" doesn't allow adverts it's a no-go. Adverts pay for things like server up-keep; bandwidth; phpbb updates; domain names etc. Anything that reduces the sites revenue streams reduces what I can do to maintain it and reduces the chance of future competitions.

A mobile skin is sort of like a version of the forum made to suit mobile phones. Here's an example: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/?styleid=54

Nothing really complex - but if you were to do something like that for Forums4airports then you can allow adverts in some way.

It looks like the previous mobile version we had. One of the problems we had with it was it kept giving error messages when you tried to visit some part of the forum such as the photo gallery. Out of interest, what phone do you have? I have a Galaxy S2 operating on Android. I don't encounter any issues browsing the site, in fact I find it almost as easy as using the desktop. One potential issue is the amount of browsing usage if you have a limited amount of download. Anybody who finds this a problem should seek a browser that offers download reductions. Opera offers this but there are others out there for those who don't like Opera.

Aviador said:
It looks like the previous mobile version we had. One of the problems we had with it was it kept giving error messages when you tried to visit some part of the forum such as the photo gallery. Out of interest, what phone do you have? I have a Galaxy S2 operating on Android. I don't encounter any issues browsing the site, in fact I find it almost as easy as using the desktop. One potential issue is the amount of browsing usage if you have a limited amount of download. Anybody who finds this a problem should seek a browser that offers download reductions. Opera offers this but there are others out there for those who don't like Opera.

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 which runs on Android. For internet on my phone I always use Opera [Mini]. It's fine accessing the website on my phone, it's just tricky to navigate because the website's so big, which is why I think a mobile version would be better. If somehow it could work.

If you tend to just visit the BHX forum you could save the page as a favourite so you don't have to search for it each time?

Aviador said:
If you tend to just visit the BHX forum you could save the page as a favourite so you don't have to search for it each time?

Searching isn't the problem. It's having to scroll to find the submit button, having to zoom in etc. That wouldn't be needed for a mobile version where it's designed to fit the screen.

Don't get too excited, we're still nowhere near having our own app but sometime ago I found a way of adding something similar to android devices.

Here's how to do it.

Whilst viewing the site on Google Chrome click on the three dots icon situated to the right of the browser bar. From there you will be offered a number of options, the first will be "New tab" followed by "New Incognito tab" and so on. Further down the list you will find a "Add to Home screen" option.

Once you have done this you will find an App style button on your device allowing one click access to Forums4airports. You can then move it to the page you want it to be displayed.

Here's an example. I've added a number of websites this way and it allows you to avoid downloading and filling your device with unwanted app data.

I don't own a Apple device so I'm not aware of any way of doing something similar using i devices.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock