Advertisements on Forums4airports?

• Total voters

Kevin Farnell

Staff member
United-Kingdom
When opening the F4A forum, as soon as I start scrolling down an advertising bar descends and blocks the F4A header. Yesterday, I sent RichL a PM. I can see that he visited this morning, but I've received no reply. It is quite possible that he started scrolling down before seeing the conversation notification. I have nothing against adverts being hosted, as I understand that F4A need the revenue. But, adverts should not interfere with the features of the forum.
Some time ago, these adverts disappeared but seem to have returned a few weeks ago. Is it not possible for them to appear in a less inconvenient position?

What device and operating system do you use?

In addition, a screen capture would assist if you're able to.

Last edited:
I actually have a problem at the bottom of the page, I have a large white advertising banner which must take up 20% of the screen which also covers up the blue navigation up/down buttons on the bottom right of the screen. Every time I shrink it, and move on to the next page/topic its keeps coming back! Been like that for 2 weeks or so. I find it very annoying and spoils my enjoyment on here. Anyone else had this issue? 😦

What device and operating system do you use?

In addition, a screen capture would assist if you're able to.
I'm using a Windows PC and Mozilla Firefox v114.0 (64bit).

Screenshot before scrolling -

52959778997_b1bfa07097_h.jpg

Screenshot after scrolling a little way -

52960829623_fbc6b354b6_h.jpg

Note, that the F4A header is now hidden, as advert has descended.

To the left of the advertiser block there is an up arrow tab. If you click on the arrow it will take the advertising away.

I actually have a problem at the bottom of the page, I have a large white advertising banner which must take up 20% of the screen which also covers up the blue navigation up/down buttons on the bottom right of the screen. Every time I shrink it, and move on to the next page/topic its keeps coming back! Been like that for 2 weeks or so. I find it very annoying and spoils my enjoyment on here. Anyone else had this issue? 😦
Can you show me a screen capture ?

I use an android phone and a PC and I don't encounter the problem. That's not to say I don't believe the problem exists.

There is a couple of options you could try which are firstly to try deleting your cookies in your browser. The second if that doesn't work is to try a different browser.

Other than that I'm actually at a point where I don't know what to do. Adsense provide the ads and the way they are placed is automatic and therefore out of my control.

If you try the above and let me know if that has any effect. Failing that I will ask Xenforo, the forum software developer if they have a solution.

To fix the issue, we'd potentially have to drop the sticky header from the style as the ad is also a sticky ad and is not compatible with both a sticky ad and a sticky navigation. It's been an ongoing issue for some time but seems to come and go...

This is a screen capture from my phone..
View attachment 28497

The responsive phone layout will always move the top navigation to the left inside the three dashes to the left of the logo (-) but for full-screen PC layout users will see this instead:

2023-06-09.png

As you can see above, the menu is hidden behind the sticky advert and to reveal it, you first need to close the sticky ad, which isn't exactly very clear as shown below...

2023-06-09 (1).png

I haven't had chance to post my PC screenshot but it shows something very different and the version I see works perfectly fine so I'm more intrigued now.

Can you show me a screen capture ?

I use an android phone and a PC and I don't encounter the problem. That's not to say I don't believe the problem exists.

There is a couple of options you could try which are firstly to try deleting your cookies in your browser. The second if that doesn't work is to try a different browser.

Other than that I'm actually at a point where I don't know what to do. Adsense provide the ads and the way they are placed is automatic and therefore out of my control.

If you try the above and let me know if that has any effect. Failing that I will ask Xenforo, the forum software developer if they have a solution.

sorry I can't post a screen capture, as i've reached my limit, but i'm edge or chrome on my laptop, its the same for both, and makes no difference if I clear out my cookies!

1686392681710.png

This is what I am seeing on my PC which seems perfectly normal.

I have created a poll asking for feedback. This is not about whether people like advertisements or not, obviously if we could do away with them entirely we would. This is about whether advertisements are actually getting in the way of using the forum.

Last edited:
Only issue I have is with the time it takes for my devices to connect and download the site, and the adverts eventually turn up after which I can begin. I have modern up to date PC/Laptops and regretably Virgin Media.

I don't have a problem viewing the forum, although i do find the drop-down advert very annoying. The point that i was reoffering to, was that I sent a member a PM but did not get a reply for two days (I know they visited the forum several times during that time). I can only guess that they were eager to scroll down to the posts and as such had the 'Conversation' and 'Alerts' symbols blocked (you don't have to scroll down far for the advert to descend). There seems plenty of space to the sides of the forum for adverts.

For some reason most of the adverts have disappeared especially
those down the side.
Thad's because you're a subscriber.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock