Jordan-34092

Mar 24, 2011
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Hi all I need to ask you for a bit of advice, I'm in the need for a new camera, budget ain't a problem, I need a camera which is good at taking photos at a distance away aswell as good close ups, I will be using it to take snapshots of aircraft along with other stuff. What type of lense would you recommend and if so what brand is the best.

let me know please.

thanks

[ Post made via Android ]
Android.png

Re: camera type

Money is no object, get yourself an DSLR and you wont look back. There's a number of brands available so pick one carefully as the prices vary significantly. You can buy lenses and extras as you go.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Mobile%20Device.png

I'd recommend a camera with a minimum 10x optical zoom if you're wanting far-off shots. Argos are selling a Samsung WB690 for £90 with 12mp, 18x optical, and 720p movies. I was looking at a Nikon P510 in Tesco recently. It has a whopping 42x optical zoom, 16mp, full HD movies, and a tilting 3in screen. Costs £350, but a web search has the cheapest at £300 at Simply Electronics, with Amazon £304. Either of these cameras would surely be enough for general photography. No doubt someone will recommend a DSLR but I wouldn't bother - all that faffing around with, and the cost of, additional lenses. I'd dread to see the price of a lens with 42x zoom!! :shok:

I'd suggest you go to a Tesco or other store that sells the Nikon and try it out, and if it's to your liking buy it elsewhere.

Happy shopping.

Masere is right if you are wanting a compact camera where you simply point and shoot. Optical zoom is far more important that digital zoom which just causes loss of quality if you're zooming in a long way for things such as aircraft.

Having got both I would say a DSLR is just as easy to use and you get the same auto setting just as you do on your average compact camera, so DSLR doesn't have to mean difficult. If you go for a DSLR your camera will be very dynamic and suitable for all types of pictures. You will be surprised at how quickly you can learn how to use the extra gizmo's. Also with the DSLR cameras you can use UV filters and polorizer.

As for prices, a compact may cost as little as £90 for a good camera whereas a DSLR will cost from around £400 but I would say you get what you pay for.

UV filter example....
Grey-Grad.jpg

Image by all-things-photography.com

Polorizer Filters....
polarizing_filter.png

Image by dslrlensauctions.com

cd-nocp_600x440.jpg

woofie4.pixiq.com

I call these the cheating filters....
4143016519_a1aa02ba03.jpg

Image by farm3.static.flickr.com

Or at least it might seem like cheating but if you ever try taking a photo of a sunset, without a yellow or orange filter it will never come out like it appeared to you because it's difficult for a camera to digitally recreate it.

Here's one that I took using a DSLR with a Polorizer Filter
image.php

Picture by Aviador, hosted here on Forums4airports.com

Re: Which Camera Should I Use?

I don't think you can change the lenses on a bridging camera so once you've got one you'd have to make do even if you really needed a larger lens. To be honest though I don't know much about them. All I can say is I made the mistake of getting a smaller camera the first time round only to realise I really wanted (and needed a DSLR), at least you can add to an DSLR as and when you decide to.

Hi all,

My ten pence worth - If anyone wants to go down the compact road, I certainlly would recomend a bridge zoom camera, from the main leaders eg - Canon,Nikon,Fuji etc, all the advantages of using It like you would an slr(upto the eye looking through a viewfinder) along with more manual control -or auto settings if so wanted.
I have a canon sx10is with 20x zoom eql to 28-560mm on a 35mm camera, and with adequate light Its photographing potential Is awsome (hence my pics on here)
But I would say some of the best available at the moment would be -

Canon SX10IS/20IS/40HS - 10IS and 20IS same size lans just better IQ on 10IS, and 40HS longer lens eqv to 24-840mm on 35mm, and better sensor (better in low light)

Nikon's bridge cameras similar.
But currently the best? and currently most expensive £600 + for a bridge zoom, is Fuji's XS-1 its got a bigger sensor and a big zoom like the canon sx40hs, and built like a brick(waterproof) but the price........?

Hope that helps.

I use a panasonic lumix and they have decent zooms on them and they take some good quality pictures with HD video

It all depends on what you want to use your camera for. If you just want it for taking snaps of aircraft and family holiday pictures, a compact camera will do the job fine. If on the otherhand you're wanting to have a dabble a more, then you might want to look at a bridge camera or DSLR. All I can say is, way up what you intend to use the camera for before you buy one. If you think it might become a more serious hobby then consider a DSLR.

I think I may go with a bridge camera I need a camera that is compact and such but takes photos like a DSLR. I seen a Fuji one with 16mp flash, 34x optical zoom and array of other features.

Android.png

another quick question is 21x optical zoom any good it just I seen a camera at 14mp with optical zoom and digital zoom, also it a Nikon, in sale at this moment in time, no viewfinder on the camera but that doesn't bother me much as it got a decent size screen.

Android.png

Not having a viewfinder can be a real problem taking pictures outside when it's bright and especially when the subject is moving. Optical zoom is more important than digital. If you have to rely on digital zoom the picture quality can deteriate when you zoom in.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Mobile%20Device.png

If you are serious about taking pictures of aircraft you must get a Digital SLR. I have been taking pictures with a SLR camera since 1974 and it is much easier to compose your picture.
Obviously, it will be more expensive, but I thought you said money wasn't a problem.

Seasider said:
If you are serious about taking pictures of aircraft you must get a Digital SLR. I have been taking pictures with a SLR camera since 1974 and it is much easier to compose your picture.
Obviously, it will be more expensive, but I thought you said money wasn't a problem.

I couldn't agree more Seasider. I can't help but think Concorde Lover is going to regret buying his camera when he realises it's not got the functionality you would expect. Just for the record Concorde Lover, I was at Manchester airport viewing park yesterday and I tried using the screen instead of the viewfinder. It lasted all of about three minutes before I sacked the idea and went back to using the viewfinder. I've started uploading them to the gallery if you want to have a look. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Budget has changed Ive also decided to get an iPad which will affect slightly how much I have to spend on the camera plus im off to Manchester,London and Carlisle all within next few weeks so need money for that. The thing is I have seen two cameras I really like a bridge camera and DSLR camera, now what putting me off the DSLR camera's are the lenses and how everything works I don't want a camera I can't operate, I may be a tech generation but I aint that good. The bridge camera is a fujufilm finepix 16mp with optical zoom of 30x with a 24mm - 720mm lense and viewfinder. Now the DSLR camera is a Nikon D3000 10.2mp with 18 - 55mm lense. You must remember im jumping from a simple Kodak 8mp point and shoot compact camera.

Oh one other thing I'm a bit of a twaz for this but I change my mind alot, just ask channex757.

Android.png

I'd get a bridge camera CL. And as for the ipad, well, at the rate Apple churn out their overpriced stuff, there'll be an ipad 20 before we have a sniff of a 777 at LBA!

Haha lol I'm going for the iPad 2 what's point in paying extra for the ipad 3 they all do the same. And that is what I have been thinking.

Android.png

Does anybody use their iPad, iPhone or other high end smart phone device as the main gadget for taking pictures? I have always used my DSLR for taking pictures of aircraft and scenic things in general but the quality of the new devices is phenomenal. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is old considering Samsung models are now up to the S4 with a release date of the Galaxy S5 soon to be announced, but even the S2 has outstanding picture quality in all light conditions. I have to admit I've never tried taking pictures of aircraft with my S2 but it would be interesting to hear from anybody that has?

I have a Galaxy S3 and the camera is of a very high quality. I mainly use it for taking pictures of the kids when we're out and about but it handles scenic views when we're away very well. I've never tried photographing aircraft with it though, I use the DSLR for that, but it would be interesting to hear of people who do.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock