Hassaan13 said:
What would you say is the possibility of them actually starting up?

I'd say 50/50? If the new CEO decides to carry on where Kevin Steele left off then it will happen, if they decide they're not happy with it and take a different direction then it won't. Only time will tell.

Ray Finkle said:
Hassaan13 said:
What would you say is the possibility of them actually starting up?

I'd say 50/50? If the new CEO decides to carry on where Kevin Steele left off then it will happen, if they decide they're not happy with it and take a different direction then it won't. Only time will tell.

Well, I'd obviously like them to be a success as for now it looks to be our only shot at a JFK link and another link to the Indian subcontinent. The equipment being 773 may encourage travellers to use it.

Uzbekistan operated a link to JFK from BHX about a decade ago (first arriving from Tashkent obviously). What were the loads like on that?

If there hasn't already been a final nail in the coffin then I think this is it.

A delegation of Egypt Air, led its vice president (planning),presented a proposal to run Dhaka-New York flights with stopovers in Cairo.

According to a board member, Egypt Air officials claimed that the proposed route would not only save six hours every trip, but operating costs would also be less than Biman’s plan to fly to New York via Birmingham, England.

The acting Biman chief said discussions would continue and it would take some time to finalise the much-awaited route.

Biman’s New York flights were grounded in 2006, but the carrier plans to resume the flights this summer.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/ ... RhGN5.dpuf

Eh? So now they've decided to go to Cairo instead? Why didn't they plan this out before openly announcing they intend to serve JFK via BHX?

I did think the possibilities were low.

Welcome to the world of Biman. Told you not to get your hopes up!

Doesn't it say that Egypt Air are trying to steal the flights not Biman deciding to go via Cairo? So instead of Biman flying Dhaka - JFK via BHX it could be Egypt AIr flying Dhaka - JFK via Cairo?

To me it seems like its an option of using the Egyptair B777-200's that Biman have on lease. Run the JFK flights via Cairo and then they can have the maintence done in Cairo.

Well as far as I know Egypt is not Cat 2 like Bangladesh, so could well work.

user001 said:
To me it seems like its an option of using the Egyptair B777-200's that Biman have on lease. Run the JFK flights via Cairo and then they can have the maintence done in Cairo.

That's how I interpreted it too.

Egyptair currently have a service direct to JFK so I don't see any problems with the US side of things.

I suppose the deal fell through a while ago. They've just not decided to announce it because it could cause an upset (well, probably not).

Route closures or route non starters aren't announced, only new routes are to get the blaze of publicity. Remember when Gulf Air Traveller announced BHX-BAH back in 2004? They soon slipped away quietly into the night after Emirates then announced their second daily flight soon after.

Ray Finkle said:
Route closures or route non starters aren't announced, only new routes are to get the blaze of publicity. Remember when Gulf Air Traveller announced BHX-BAH back in 2004? They soon slipped away quietly into the night after Emirates then announced their second daily flight soon after.

Well, maybe announce is the wrong word. But the airlines do inform passengers. Like Airblue did.

What could they have done differently though? Started earlier?

Air Blue had to inform passengers as the service was up and running with bookings already taken, passengers had to be transferred onto other flights or refunded monies paid. Biman have never had BHX as bookable therefore there's nobody to inform.

I know the DAK-BHX-JFK flights are probably now a non starter, but i do really have a feeling that BIman at some point in the next 12 months will serve BHX to DAK, twice a week. I think just this sector could be successfull from BHX, similar to Air India and PIA ????/

There's nothing stopping them operating a BHX service now if they wanted too but I can't see it happening, to me it's been about JFK all along. Every delay has been at the US end, so why wasn't DAK-BHX-DAK started on time with JFK to be added on when clearance came through? On the face of it you could say Biman wanted to restart JFK, BHX were desperate for some sort of long haul so a deal was done, after a couple of delays Biman got a better offer from Egypt so look to be going elsewhere. It's just my opinion but I think BHX was nothing more than a pit stop en route and it could have been any airport that was chosen.

I think the whole Biman saga is a strange one.

-Announcing BHX/JFK even though they don't have the rights, and given the US stance, unlikely to do so.
-Claims BHX offered a better deal than MAN, but then claim you are going to open MAN anyway
-Kevin Steele resigns (under the ruse of health issues but rumours he was pushed).
-DAC-BHX-JFK now looks to be DAC-CAI-JFK.

I think now Steele has gone, Biman will revert to type and BHX can kiss their chances goodbye. If they start any 2nd UK route Ill be surprised. BHX obviously approached Biman, and not the other way round, as it doesn't make sense why Biman are giving themselves such a hard time gaining extra USA rights when they already hold them for MAN/BRU/AMS. If I was Biman, Id go for the path of least resistance personally, which is use what you already have.

Every delay has been at the US end, so why wasn't DAK-BHX-DAK started on time with JFK to be added on when clearance came through

What you say makes sense. The last time they served MAN, it was to continue to JFK. They had issues getting the slots at JFK so ran a DAC-LHR-MAN-DAC flight with the aim of running DAC-MAN-JFK, that was until they screwed up their planning with Hajj and had to cut back on routes.

Well, it certainly would have been wiser to be 100% sure you have the rights before announcing anything. But as mentioned it seemed BHX was just intended to be a pit stop. I don't think Biman were looking at the DAC-BHX aspect, but more the DAC-JFK aspect (or even BHX-JFK). They operated their scenic flights out of BHX so at least they know what the operation is like at the airport, so you'd have thought that'd give enough reason (part of it) not to pull out. Do they even have a service to Cairo?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock