Re: MMXV and W15/16.

I never thought transferring the CRJs was a good idea as some routes are just too thin on current frequency to sustain an A319 or the A320s that Eurowings are bringing in. Less frequency=less options for travellers, less popularity, and eventually the route fades into insignificance.
Some airlines' fleet decisions drive me bananas.

I was of the understanding that the 4U Hamburg flight was moved to an A319 too but I must be wrong as it's still a CRJ. Flying that in a couple of weeks, but I might end up being more comfortable in a CRJ anyway.

It did move to an A319 for a while and still sees one on an ad hoc basis but yeah generally it's a CRJ.

If you get chance let us know how your flight goes :s_laughat

American Airlines - Daily flight to JFK starting May 8th.

Air India - An increase to daily 787 flights from 21st December adding circa 1500 seats per week.

Aegean Airlines – returning next summer to ATH, still at x2 weekly but now operating from the end of March.

Aer Lingus – up to x5 daily to Dublin on some days; Shannon resumes June 15th.

Air Transat – still x1 weekly but the A330 does appear to operating for a longer period.

Air France - More flights are planned to be on an A320 rather than the A319/320 mix but anything from an A319 to an A321 is used depending on loads.

Lufthansa - Permanent upgrades from an A320 to an A321. Munich upgraded from E190 to A319.

Flybe – Cologne, Florence, Palma, Alicante, Reykjavik, Ibiza, Knock, Waterford, Porto, Toulouse, Oslo and Hamburg all dropped. Hanover dropped from 2 to 1x daily. New weekly routes to Bastia and Biarritz. Amsterdam increased to 4x daily and Jersey to 3x daily.

Hainan Airlines - Will operate twice weekly flights from Beijing throughout July and August every Monday and Friday using a 767-300ER.

Icelandair – new 2x weekly service to KEF with extra flights added at busy times. Now announced they will go 3x weekly in October rising to 4x weekly in Feb 2016.

Easyjet - Winter ski flights to Grenoble are to be on an A320 rather than the previously used A319. Geneva also sees more A320's used.

Emirates - Third daily 777-300 flight to Dubai starting 1st August.

Monarch– new winter flights to Salzburg and Turin. Winter increases to GIB, BCN, PMI, ACE, AGP, ALC, FAO, FCO, FNC, FUE, GNB, LCA, LPA, SSH, TFS, VCE, SZG and TRN.

Ryanair - One less based aircraft but alot more away based flights almost makes up the schedule with 2015 roughly 6 weekly flights down on 2014. Winter increases to BCN and AGP.

SAS - The morning flight looks to be upgraded from a CRJ to an A319 and the evening flight upgraded from an A319 to an A320, A321's are used when loads are high.

Turkish Airlines - Increase to 12x weekly from March 29th, double daily on 1,4,5,6,7.

Turkmenistan Airlines - Will be upgrading their flights from a 757 to a 777 starting early April.

Thomas Cook – new A321s will start to replace the ageing 757s over the winter; by the summer x3 A321s and x1 A320 will be based and new summer routes to Djerba, Kalamata and Lesbos launched.

Thomson – Sal resumes from the start of November and Barbados replaces Orlando for the winter season as usual. Summer sees new routes to Agadir, Djerba and Porto Santo with rises on existing routes. Cancun rises to 2x weekly for the summer and continues into the winter.

Vueling - New airline operating A320's to Barcelona starting in May then 2x weekly in June rising to 5x weekly in August. After October the winter period sees 2x weekly on Mon and Fri.

Wizzair - New airline starting Budapest and Warsaw in September. Both are 2x weekly using A320 aircraft.

Norwegian Air Shuttle - New routes to Madrid 3x weekly, Barcelona 2x weekly and Malaga 3x weekly. New routes to Tenerife 2x weekly and Gran Canaria weekly for W15/16.

VLM - Will start Waterford 4x weekly from April.

Winter 15/16

American Airlines - Will reduce to 5x weekly at the end of October until Dec 18th when it returns to daily.

Emirates - This will be the first winter of 3x daily. Jan 1st sees EK41/42 revert to a higher density 2 class 777-300ER.

Icelandair - Will see 4x flights for the October half term then will be 3x weekly until Jan 1st. Feb 1st sees a permanent 4x weekly schedule.

Easyjet - Belfast up to 3x daily with only Tuesday at 2x daily.

Germania - Will operate a weekly ski flight to Chambery.

Turkish Airlines - Will be 12x weekly throughout the winter.

Vueling - Barcelona continues throughout the winter at 2x weekly Mon and Fri. It returns to 4x weekly, Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun as of April.

Aer Lingus - At 6x weekly Shannon will be down on the 14x weekly service last year. Dublin up to 6x daily.

Flybe - Increases to Amsterdam 4/5x daily up to 6x daily, Dusseldorf 4x daily up to 5x daily, Edinburgh 7x daily up to 8x daily and Glasgow 7x daily up to 8x daily. New ski flights to Chambery and Geneva on Saturdays.

Norwegian Air Shuttle - New routes to Tenerife 2x weekly Mon and Fri and Gran Canaria weekly on Fridays. Madrid, Barcelona and Malaga continue through the winter with Malaga 2x weekly Mon and Fri, Barcelona 2x weekly Thur and Sun and Madrid 2x weekly Wed and Sat.

Monarch Airlines - Increases on GIB, BCN, PMI, ACE, AGP, ALC, FAO, FCO, FNC, FUE, GNB, LCA, LPA, SSH, TFS, VCE, SZG and TRN. Many extra flights added in the Christmas and Feb school holidays.

Ryanair - Increases to Barcelona and Malaga up to 6x weekly. Dublin increased to 6x daily.

Thomson - New Saturday flight to Verona.

Wizzair - New airline starting Budapest, Tuesdays and Saturdays, and Warsaw, Mondays and Fridays in September. Both are 2x weekly using A320 aircraft.

VLM Airlines - Waterford continues throughout the winter. New route to Antwerp 3x weekly from October.

That looks very, very healthy and it is remarkable that we're doing this without anything significant from Flybe and Ryanair. We need those two to shore up their offerings a lot more as despite a few excellent frequencies their route rosters look a bit depleted right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if Aer Lingus eventually increase Shannon back to 14x weekly although I believe there may be 6x daily Dublin flights sometimes with 4 Mainline and 2 Regional, or is it 3 each?
Do Vueling intend to go 5x weekly next August as they are doing this year?

I think it's safe to say 2015 will go down as BHX's best year to date.

Seven new airlines, three of them loco's which BHX never seemed to attract before, and more capacity to the USA. We have also seen plenty more capactiy added going east with Turkish Airlines, Air India and Emirates.

It will also be the year when 10mppa is finally surpassed :)

We've also got a heavily expanded series of Beijing flights starting a week today. Hopefully it will lead to something more permanent in the future.

I think even the most optimistic of us couldn't have predicted what has happened over the last twelve months and massive credit is due for all at BHX.

So what about 2016?

I have a feeling it'll be more about existing airlines adding capacity and hopefully new routes. Norwegian have all but confirmed that as long as aircraft deliveries go to plan then BHX will see a base. Just how sizeable a base we are yet to see but even one aircraft with a handful of new routes would be a start.

I'm also over the moon about BHX getting Wizz. They are a rapidly expanding airline and I'm sure we'll see more from them over the next couple of years. There is lots of potential for them ex BHX and I'm sure we're all hoping Prague will be added soon.

I think we'd all like to see more long haul leisure routes added such as Cuba, Las Vegas and more capacity to Orlando. Unfortunately with Thomson and Thomas Cook already having S16 on sale it looks like an even longer wait, unless Norwegian have got a very nice Christmas present for us all :smile:

Just a couple of recent snippets about the future:

Wizz Air spokesperson:

We hope our first two services to Hungary and Poland will stimulate tourism

Budapest Airport Head of Route Development:

"We are extremely expectant that it won’t be long before we will be announcing a frequency increase on the route,”

Anthea Mcintyre MEP:

Great meeting with @Paul_Kehoe and team @bhx_official Birmingham Airport. Direct flights to more destinations soon.

Paul Kehoe via Twitter:

yes we do need more on top of the 7 new airlines this year. Working on that. More pax that fly - more interest from airlines.

So far we've seen six.

Paul Kehoe via Twitter:

We are taking to many operators who like what they hear about the Midlands economy.

I can't remember a time when I've felt so optimistic about BHX. Long may it continue :hatsoff:

Re: 2015, W15/16. and 2016.

Time to make a start on 2016 although it'll be a big ask to live up to 2015 :smile:

I'll still update W15/16 if/when needed.

Blue Air - New airline to Bucharest 2x weekly on Tue and Sat.

Czech Airlines - New airline to Prague 5x weekly.

Emirates - Third daily three class 77W reverts to a high density two class 77W on Jan 1st.

Qatar Airways - New airline. Eight weekly 787 flights to Doha.

Vueling - Barcelona goes back to 4x weekly for summer rising to 5x weekly for the main summer period. New route to Alicante 3x weekly from June.

Iberia Express - New airline 4x weekly to Madrid, Sun, Mon, Wed and Fri using an A320.

Icelandair - Increase up to 4x weekly as of Feb.

Thomson - New routes to Agadir, Sardinia, Izmir and Split. Skiathos goes up to 2x weekly. New route to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Flybe - Aberdeen rises to 4x daily.
Amsterdam rises to 5x daily.
Dusseldorf rises to 5x daily.
Edinburgh rises to 8x daily.
Glasgow rises to 8x daily.
Stuttgart rises to 3x daily.
Hanover rises to 2x daily.
Milan 2x daily with three flights on some days.
Extra flights to Berlin.
Saturday flight to Chambery.
Saturday flight to Geneva.

Easyjet - Will use larger A320's to/from Belfast on certain days. Geneva sees all A320.

Wizz Air - Warsaw increases to 3x weekly. New route to Poznan 2x weekly Mon and Fri. New route to Bucharest 2x weekly Wed and Sun.

Ryanair

Barcelona goes up to 9x weekly, double daily on Saturdays and Tuesdays.
Malaga up to 9x weekly, double daily on Thursdays and Fridays.
Palma goes up to 9x weekly, double daily Mon and Fri.
Alicante is 12x weekly, double daily every day except Tue and Sat.
Malta up one to 3x weekly.
Dublin remains 5/6 times daily
New Route to Vilnius
New Route to Corfu
New Route to Verona

SAS - Copenhagen up to 3x daily on 1,2,4,5.

Its worth noting that this years World Routes Conference is happening in Durban SA the 19th-22nd of September, and I believe this is where deals are finalized and announced... I believe last years conference lead to Vuelling, Norwegian and AA, and not to mention the curve ball that is Wizz coming to BHX so it would be interesting to see if PK can keep momentum....

Plus we are still to see the fruits from the Routes Middle East and Asia Conference which BHX said it was in final talks with at least 2 airlines....

it is of course all speculation, but the good news is that the rumours of more routes, airlines are frequencies don't appear to be going away, so we can only hope that there is not smoke without fire!

Ray Finkle said:
Time to make a start on 2016 although it'll be a big ask to live up to 2015 :smile:

I'll still update W15/16 if/when needed.

Emirates - Third daily three class 77W reverts to a high density two class 77W on Jan 1st.

Vueling - Barcelona goes back to 4x weekly for summer, currently bookable until July.

Icelandair - Increase up to 4x weekly as of Feb.

Thomson - New routes to Agadir, Sardinia, Izmir and Split. Skiathos goes up to 2x weekly. New route to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

For me, if we get the BIG announcement Re: Norweigan base and a couple more Wizz routes to eastern europe, 2016 will defo match 2015, if not better. :hatsoff:

I've heard a 2 aircraft base at both MAN and BHX, with a tie in with Thomson at both.

On being asked about new MAN-Mediterranean routes going on sale for next year, Norwegian replied 'soon, maybe next month, still early', so, could be truth in the rumours I've heard.

I've also heard some good plans for 2017 ex MAN and BHX, could be exciting!

Brum X said:
For me, if we get the BIG announcement Re: Norweigan base and a couple more Wizz routes to eastern europe, 2016 will defo match 2015, if not better. :hatsoff:

Tough choice as seven new airlines in one year is pretty special but I guess expansion from those two is the next step :good:

Ray Finkle said:
Brum X said:

Tough choice as seven new airlines in one year is pretty special but I guess expansion from those two is the next step :good:

Oh go one then, add a daily Qatar as well.

Defo better 2016 than 2015 :hatsoff:

User001 said:
I've heard a 2 aircraft base at both MAN and BHX, with a tie in with Thomson at both.

On being asked about new MAN-Mediterranean routes going on sale for next year, Norwegian replied 'soon, maybe next month, still early', so, could be truth in the rumours I've heard.

I've also heard some good plans for 2017 ex MAN and BHX, could be exciting!

That's news to me, I thought it was between BHX and EDI for a new base from Norwegian given their recent expansion at both those airports and reduction in capacity at MAN... but hey, just because ive not heard it doesn't mean its not true! with Norwegian adding new routes to BHX and EDI over the last 12 months, MAN would certainly be looking to get a piece of the action!

EDI was in the running but apparently Norwegian were concerned about some of the constraints the airport has, given its expansion has been a bit too rapid for the terminal to handle.

MAN was promised a base before BHX was even a twinkle in Norwegians eye, so, maybe MAN have finally got their act together to get the base. Norwegian want to get into MAN before a certain Spanish low cost does.......

would that be the same Spanish low cost airline that arrived in BHX this year?!

an interesting perspective with regard to EDI... for such a small airport, it has grown very fast! some have commented in the past that is was always unsustainable (i.e. the ME3 carrying 4x daily flights between Scotland and the ME) without major expansion....

I would love to be a fly on the wall in DY headquarters...

time will tell I suppose :O)

Yes, it's the same Spanish airline. As an insider, I can tell you they have grand plans for MAN, which would be welcome given MAN can lay credit to the fact Vueling are an airline at all.....

...then as someone in the know, do they have any plans for BHX beyond their connections with Barcelona?

No plans at the moment. Barcelona could go daily for July-Sept, but, that's about it for 2016 at this stage.

nwoody2001 said:
an interesting perspective with regard to EDI... for such a small airport

Not so small these days, a lot of building has taken place over the last 5 years. Plenty of check-in/bag drop desks and security has been shifted to the new terminal building, plus an extension to the old terminal where the FlyMayBe and Aer Lingus flights board.

In addition to that, car parking has been totally revamped and the metro terminus, within 2 minutes walk from the domestic arrivals area, takes you straight into town.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock