Thelocalyokel. I was wondering how the corona jab went. Last saturday if im right. I have my jab next saturday so i hope it goes ok.

Thelocalyokel. I was wondering how the corona jab went. Last saturday if im right. I have my jab next saturday so i hope it goes ok.
It went well. I'll send you a Conversations message.

Bristol city sacked their manager/coach Dean holden. This was a wrong appointment,as to promote a person from the last manager sacked will have the same ideas as the sacked manager. They just as well kept the sacked manager as it would have saved money. You have to appoint a new manager from out side the football club.You have to blame city for putting someone out of work as wrong appointment made by the club.

Bristol city sacked their manager/coach Dean holden. This was a wrong appointment,as to promote a person from the last manager sacked will have the same ideas as the sacked manager. They just as well kept the sacked manager as it would have saved money. You have to appoint a new manager from out side the football club.You have to blame city for putting someone out of work as wrong appointment made by the club.
Appointing from within has never seemed to work for Bristol City: Tinnion, Millen and now Holden. It worked for Liverpool in the glory days of the successive (and successful) managerships of Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish.

There has been much talk in recent years amongst fans that managers at Ashton Gate are not allowed a free rein when it comes to player recruitment and this has reportedly put off experienced managers. There is a feeling that the senior hierarchy at the club prefers managers to whom they can dictate, hence the appointment of inexperienced and young managers or head coaches (the nomenclature is unimportant) like Lee Johnson and Dean Holden.

Local billionaire owner Steve Lansdown is now a tax exile living in Guernsey and his son Jon is the chairman but most supporters believe he's just a figurehead with the real day-to-day power resting with the CEO, Mark Ashton, whom most fans detest with a passion, believing he has been given far too much power that extends to interfering in team selection and player recruitment, allegations that the club always denies.

Lee Johnson, former Bristol City player and son of a previous manager Gary Johnson, was not universally popular either as a head coach (manager) or as a person. Dean Holden, his former assistant, is well regarded as a person by fans and they feel sorry about his predicament although they believe he was not up to the job and should not have been appointed. When Lee Johnson was sacked last year the fans' choice to replace him was Chris Hughton, but it was thought he would want much greater freedom in the choice of players. He eventually went to Nottingham Forest and after a slow start this season is now pulling them around.

It has to be said that Dean Holden was incredibly unlucky with long-term player injuries with a dozen or more of the first team squad out of action for much of the season, a situation that largely still obtains. His replacement's main task will be to keep the club in the Championship and all thoughts of a play-off place have now realistically vanished.

The local rag did a detailed piece last week asserting that Bristol City is a Premier League club in everything but its performances on the pitch: the stadium; the support; the financial backing; a new Prem-class training centre; a successful academy. Sadly they just can't get that vital element right and they seem no closer to that than in the past.

Bristol City is part of Steve Lansdown's Bristol Sport empire that also includes Bristol Bears, both clubs' women's teams and Bristol Flyers basketball team as well as involvement in local community sport. The success of Bristol Bears has led some Bristol City fans to believe that Lansdown is putting more into the rugby than the football. The Bears recently opened a world-class training complex but Bristol City are also the recipients of a brand new similar facility just along the road from the Bears' training complex, and a new 4,000-seater arena next to Ashton Gate stadium is planned for the Flyers basketball team.

Lansdown asked to go on BBC Radio Bristol on Monday this week (his son Jon, the chairman, is in Bermuda at the moment - don't ask) and rightly pointed out that the cost base in rugby, even in the Premiership, is much less than in the football Championship. Bristol City fans point to a world-class head coach being appointed for the Bears whilst their team has to make do with inexperienced and unproven managers. Lansdown explained the patently obvious that Pat Lam, the Bears' head coach, is a rugby equivalent of football's Pep Guardiola and that the latter would not come to a Championship club. The Bears are in the highest English rugby division, and currently at the top of the league table, but City aren't when it comes to football. In fact, the Bears' two marquee players, Charles Piutau and Semi Radrada, are amongst the highest-paid rugby players in the world yet there are some Bristol City players who earn more than they do - in the second tier of football.

Steve Lansdown should be the recipient of eternal thanks from Bristol City fans, not condemnation, although he does have a blind spot when it comes to appointing football managers. For someone who with his business partner Peter Hargreaves began from scratch what was to become the eponymous financial services group that is now a FTSE 100 hundred company, and still Bristol-headquartered, it must be believed that he was much more astute when picking senior managerial staff there than at Bristol City.

The airport based police have been busy. They have issued a couple of warning notices about aircraft spotting round the back of the airport.They have not fined anyone yet but it sounds like it wont be long till they issue fines. The flights that operate are all Easyjet with a few passengers and mail. A question i must ask is how long Easyjet been doing mail hauling and is this across all bases.

The airport based police have been busy. They have issued a couple of warning notices about aircraft spotting round the back of the airport.They have not fined anyone yet but it sounds like it wont be long till they issue fines. The flights that operate are all Easyjet with a few passengers and mail. A question i must ask is how long Easyjet been doing mail hauling and is this across all bases.
I don't know about easyJet and mail.

Re our discussion on Bristol City, the news tonight suggests that Nigel Pearson, former Leicester City and Watford manager, is in advanced talks with the club with suggestions in the press that he could take over at Ashton Gate within a few days. Apparently he is now based in Devon so is already fairly local.

Bristol Rovers, also without a manager, are reportedly about to appoint Joey Barton who left Fleetwood earlier this season.

Pearson and Barton are both controversial figures so interesting times could lie ahead if they both become Bristol football club managers.

Re previous post, Joey Barton was appointed manager of Bristol Rovers this morning and Nigel Pearson was appointed manager of Bristol City this evening. I'm looking forward to some sparks on and off the pitch at Ashton Gate (Trashton Gate to Rovers fans) and at the Memorial Ground (the Minimal to City fans).

Im sure Joey Barton has a court case very soon for fighting. Seems he has a short fuse till fighting comes from him.

Im sure Joey Barton has a court case very soon for fighting. Seems he has a short fuse till fighting comes from him.
Step back in amazement, he probably has a fight every time he looks in the mirror!
He does - an assault charge that's due to be heard at court later this year.

Interesting pictures of a Boeing 727 fuselage being transported from Kemble to Bristol today where it will become an office at Brislington on the south-east edge of the city near the A4 Bath Road.

Should have arrived a few weeks ago but the wet weather made ground conditions unsuitable for its movement.

Bristol City FC new High Performance Centre now open

This state-of-the-art multi-million pound facility is at Failand in North Somerset near their old training facility. At least the council didn't block that planning application as they did with the airport, although I believe there were concerns in the early days of the planning process for this one.

The facility is near Bristol Bears new High Performance Centre at Abbots Leigh which is regarded as world-class (that's the HPC not Abbots Leigh although the latter is a very pleasant area).

Bristol City and Bristol Bears are both part of billionaire Steve Lansdown's Bristol Sport organisation.

All we need from Bristol City now is some high performance on the pitch. Bears have managed it but the much smaller and frail Robins might not be a fair comparison with a grizzly, although the red-breasted birds can at least fly away.

went for a drive out today. Ended up at winters lane,stopped and had a look over to the airport and it could see 6 tui aircraft 5 737 and 1 787. 1 tui had a white tail was that the German aircraft. There was 3 ryanair and Easyjet at least 12 aircraft. There looked plenty of aircraft stands empty. The airport has cut the grass and hedges all round the field in winters lane. Good to get out for a hour or so.

went for a drive out today. Ended up at winters lane,stopped and had a look over to the airport and it could see 6 tui aircraft 5 737 and 1 787. 1 tui had a white tail was that the German aircraft. There was 3 ryanair and Easyjet at least 12 aircraft. There looked plenty of aircraft stands empty. The airport has cut the grass and hedges all round the field in winters lane. Good to get out for a hour or so.
Mrs Yokel and I, both wearing our brand new smocks, were also taking the country air today not a million miles from your rural perambulations. We drove out to Chew Magna, had a wander around the village then did a circular walk partly beside the Chew between Chew Magna and Chew Stoke.

We passed a couple tending their front garden who looked as though they would be fully paid-up members of the Chew Magna Association For The Abolition Of Bristol Airport and I couldn't resist testing my theory by saying to them as we passed, "Isn't it lovely to be free of aircraft noise all day long?" "Marvellous!" came the instant response.

Not quite what the headline might suggest.

For a period this summer trains from the south west will terminate at Bedminster station. It's in connection with regeneration work around Temple Meads, in particular a major restructuring of Bristol East junction just outside TM to the north east.

It would seem, although the article is not clear on this, that trains from the south west, particularly the Cross Country services from Cornwall/Devon to the North and Scotland, won't go any further and will return to the south west. How that will affect Somerset to Bristol Parkway trains and Taunton to Cardiff trains again isn't made clear, neither is the situation with Cross Country trains from Scotland and the North to the south west. I take it that they won't run further than TM and will then return to the North, with the gap between Bedminster and TM covered by rail replacement buses.

Sounds like the work will be started when the rail is more busy. Will that include Temple meads resteration work as well ,as millions has been ear marked for resteration and no new structure.

Sounds like the work will be started when the rail is more busy. Will that include Temple meads resteration work as well ,as millions has been ear marked for resteration and no new structure.
The below Network Rail link provides a lot of the answers in the general piece about Bristol rail regeneration. It was published last January so some of the work, especially preparation work, has already been done. Temple Meads work can be found by scrolling down on the Network Rail page with further information provided in the Q and A section.

The main task appears to be restoring the roof. A new pedestrian entrance will be constructed, although I think it's really a reinstatement of the pedestrian passageway that was used until the 1960s that gives access to the Cattle Market Road tunnel under the station. Various other amelioration schemes will also be carried out.

There has long been talk of closing the main approach road to all but public transport and using the entrance in The Friary, currently pedestrian-only, as the main public entrance. I don't think that idea is currently in planning.

Temple Meads presents difficulties when it comes to upgrading as it is a grade 1 listed building.

Here's something not seen every day. Bristol City Council planning committee approving a controversial application against the advice of their planning officers.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock