I see British airways are to start flights direct to Portland this year. Depends on price. I thought of you with this one Jerry as that's the airport you fly into if I remember correctly.

I see British airways are to start flights direct to Portland this year. Depends on price. I thought of you with this one Jerry as that's the airport you fly into if I remember correctly.
Yes I posted that on the Heathrow forum a few weeks ago. Starts 1st June. May well be the option I choose this year!
On another note it does show how Portland Airport has gained from its $3.5 million payment to keep Delta operating Tokyo and Amsterdam. Since then it's attracted Heathrow with Delta and now British Airways and Keflavik with Icelandair and re-attracted Frankfurt with Condor and it did have Mexico city with Aeromexico but that has now been dropped. I'd expect Paris CDG to be added eventually.

On Wednesday Cardiff council released it's transport plans to cut pollution and congestion in the city. As well as what is now being dubbed 'the Valleys tax' which is a £2 proposed congestion charge for the city it also includes plans for a crossrail tram-train line, a circle tram-train line, improved bus services including a new cross city service linked to the metro including a bus loop, new bus links to places like Pontypridd, Penarth and Newport. Also the new mainline station at Cardiff Parkway in St Mellons has been included. There is also plans to build a fully segregated cycle network across the city and a city centre loop and expand Netbike to 2000 bikes.
Although none of this effects Cardiff Airport directly hopefully improved public transport should make Cardiff a much more desirable city break destinations for tourists which could help with route sustainability especially city routes at the airport and for the city to bid for things like the FIFA World cup.

Just booked Air Europa Barcelona to PMI on their 738, for £24 with seat selection. The whole day trip with the other 2 Ryanair flights CWL-BCN and PMI-BRS come to £71 including seat selection. Crazy value considering my original plan would've cost me 3 times as much with Lufthansa and KLM!

Finally booked a flight with Jet2. Amsterdam to Leeds Bradford on the 737 300 at the end of May. Hopefully i'll get to fly with Jet2 from Cardiff one day! Also booked last week Aer Lingus regional into Bristol from Dublin for April looking forward to seeing what the difference is between the Q400 and ATR is, just still got to book my outward bound flight with Flybe from Cardiff for that day. So from the end of the month onwards i should have plenty of footage and photos to share not just from Cardiff!

Totally agree. Estimates have put the cost at 1.4 bln... Which means in the UK, by the time it's complete it'll be over 2bln. I honestly can't see the logic behind spending such a vast sum on something like that when models from all over the world show that when a new road is built it just encourages an increase in traffic. Within a decade the road would be congested again.
Far more beneficial would be a 1.4bln investment in rail. Electrifying to Swansea for potentially 300m, building new stations and even new track in the Newport area. Cleaner, more accessible and far more tourism friendly.
Building the road would be nothing more than a short term illogical political statement. Considering the cost could be 2-3x the cost of the south Wales metro, it's the height of folly.

View attachment 16063

On a slightly different note, in a few years it's going to be a bus to Barry from the airport and an upwards of 4 hourly service on one of these trains to Cardiff. Definitely a huge improvement and less of an embarrassment when incoming tourists arrive than current arrangements. Public transport infrastructure almost always has a much bigger impact than building a new road.

Far more beneficial would be a 1.4bln investment in rail.
Wales as a whole needs investment in public transport far more than a 14 mile stretch of motorway. The country is a generation behind large parts of the UK.

One of the gutting things about HS2 from a Welsh perspective is that it'll contribute £5 billion and get virtually nothing back from it. That £5 billion would be transformative if spent in Wales.

Although the UK government have now said that there will be no reinstatement of the tolls I doubt there is anything that could stop the Welsh government instituting a congestion charge for the M4.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock