TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
I'm not the greatest of monarchists but I have a great deal of respect for our present queen.

Today she becomes the first ever monarch to reach a sapphire anniversary on the throne (I hadn't realised what a sapphire anniversary was until now). I raise a figurative glass to her and wish her good health in the years ahead.

In my view she has remained a unifying constant in the difficult years the country has had to endure for much of her reign.

Whether her successors will be regarded as highly by so many people remains to be seen.

I still remember the day the headmistress of my small village school came into the classroom to tell us that King George VI had died. In all honesty I don't think it made that much of an impression on us 5-10 years olds at the time.

She is amazing, look at the social change that has happened during her reign. Prime Ministers and Presidents have come and gone and she is still here a real stalwart. IMHO our greatest monarchs have all been women. We will need the Royal Family post Brexit to help sell our wears world-wide.

I'm also a big admirer of Her Majesty and it's great to see her reach 65 years.

I think that she has handled herself with great dignity over the years and is going to leave a huge gap to fill.

King Charles III or King William V?

• Admin
Interesting to speculate what name Prince Charles would take when/if (he might pre-decease his mother) he succeeds to the throne. There is one school of thought that he might take the name George VII in memory of his grandfather.

There is of course no requirement for heirs to take their first or any of their Christian names when becoming monarch. George VI's first Christian name was Albert as was Edward VII's, both known as Bertie in the family.

In these days of so-called gender equality the wife of a king becomes a queen (queen consort)* as was the case with the Queen Mother (as she was styled after her husband died), but the husband of a queen regnant does not become king (king consort as there is no such thing) as with the current monarch and her husband.

* In normal circumstances. It would not have happened with Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson because times were different then and the country and the 'Establishment' would not have stood for it. Will Camilla become Queen?

Yeah that is an interesting point. She's not titled the Princess of Wales so she could just stay as the Duchess of Cornwall. I believe the Saxon Kings never had their wives called Queens so maybe that's an ancient precedent?
I love the Monarchy and think that the Queen has been a wonderful servant to this country and she was also crowned in the year my dad was born about a week after he was born.

An incoming Monarch has freedom to choose a Regnal name, Charles Windsor or Charles Wales can choose whatever Monarchical name he chooses. If he wants to be a William, or a George, an Edward ninth, or even a Charles Third, it is his choice even if his private secretary advises otherwise. He can, theoretically become King Elizabeth Third. Not a joke but a Constitutional inevitability. The line of succession permits such. It is a Constitutional certainty.

Last edited:
I agree that The Queen has been an outstanding monarch, although at times her handling of events left something to be desired (or perhaps it was the dreaded courtiers?). Looking at her reign in cold cash, she's certainly brought a lot of tourism revenue into this country.

However, I think she should have stepped down at 70-75 as her distant cousin in The Netherlands did (and her mother before her). Charles could end up like Edward VII, due his age. I'm just not sure about William, always seems uncomfortable. Out of all of them, Anne seems better suited to the role, but age wouldn't have been on her side either.

As an aside, Jeffrey Archer's "First Among Equals" may have given an insight into the reign of Charles III, or whatever he will call himself....

Whilst on the subject of the monarchy, today is the 24th anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Suppose it's the passing of time that means I had to go looking for any tributes.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock