pug

Jan 16, 2009
Apparantly BE are to retain their 6xweekly BHD service and also operate to Jersey throughout winter 09/10. Supposidly the route funding has ended which, if it does continue to operate, could suggest BE believe they can operate profitably without support.

Flybe have started to release some flights from DSA there is only at the moment 5x weekly BHD only released until 6th Jan
Arr.11:20 Dep.11:45 So same awkward times for business travellers.
Hopefully More to come!

wilbur2012 said:
Flybe have started to release some flights from DSA there is only at the moment 5x weekly BHD only released until 6th Jan
Arr.11:20 Dep.11:45 So same awkward times for business travellers.
Hopefully More to come!

I take it you mean until the 6th Jan 2012, also is this route still being subsidised does anybody know?

If these routes weren't subsidised, do you feel there would be a good chance they wouldn't operate at all?

What is/was the source of the subsidy?

I dont think there is any subsidy now but could be wrong. The subsidy for BE was provided by 'Yorkshire Backwards' for the BHD flight. Im unsure as to how long it lasted but I do know they pulled the double daily rotations some time before it ended (if it ever did).

Yes the subsidy was originally to underwrite any losses incurred from start up. They have ended now for both airlines, as they are expected to stand on their own two feet. As Pug said, when the dropping of double Belfast to a single Belfast happened this signified the end, as passenger figures were not holding up to maintain double daily. Of note, as well as Yorkshire Forward, Peel also underwrote much of the airlines start up costs. I purchased some flights for a family member from Doncaster to Florida in June for £31.99 each way. Even at this price the flight was only just over half full when it went out. No wonder the flights stopped at the end of that year!
Sorry for wandering of the FlyBe track.

I purchased some flights for a family member from Doncaster to Florida in June for £31.99 each way.

Interesting, I was under the impression they were popular, but have never actually seen any figures to support this. Anyone got any?

They actually pulled the 2xdaily BHD flights some time before the initial subsidy ended, were talking at least one season before if not more. The annoying thing is that some posters complain that they have to use LBA to BHD because DSA isnt business friendly frequencies, and still say 'there is definately demand', yet the origional frequencies proved otherwise... Im always skeptical of people saying there is definate demand for routes that have never been attempted, so ones that have and subsequently failed makes it even more dubious.

Flybe seem to be suspending their BHD flights from the end of October.

pug said:
Flybe seem to be suspending their BHD flights from the end of October.

Does that mean the funding has run out?

I couldn't see it surviving much longer from Doncaster airport anyway to be fair. Belfast is also struggling from other airports including LBA with rumours that Jet2 are looking at either dropping or reducing their operation from there.

Information from a well-known aviation site suggests that Flybe's routes from BHD to Manston and Liverpool are also being axed within the next few weeks.

Liverpool sems a big shock having regard to its massive Irish connections though no doubt there are other Liverpool-Belfast routes.

Im not sure about funding, I think that ran out some time ago hence the schedules being cut down to size. Its not clear whether there is a fallout with Peel/VAS due Liverpool being pulked, are the remaining flights on sale to JER and IOM respectively? Could it be a seasonal chop?

This yet more bad news that Doncaster-Sheffield Airport which i guess it could have done without. Especially seen as Belfast City was only domestic route from the airport. Apart from the seasonal Jersey route of course.

This to me is very short notice by flybe for the airport to try and get a replacement service in place. I just don't see how anyone would be interested in replacing it with the low passenger numbers that have been carried and with ADP still effecting all routes.

Slightly Off Topic, but:

are the remaining flights on sale to JER and IOM respectively

I dont see JER in the booking engine from LPL, and IOM will continue only because it has an NHS/government contract to get Manx residents to the mainland hospitals when needed. If it wasn't for this contract, due to easyjet, the IOM route would also be canned as Flybe want to optimise North West routes into MAN.

JER is only from DSA hence I said respectively. Interesting about the IOM route though.

I wonder if there has been a disagreement between BE and VAS.

I wonder if this will change to become a permanent cancellation for next summer as well, given that Flybe have cancelled and dropped many routes through it's UK operations, or just through the winter due to bad booking numbers..?

Jersey flights tend to be a summer only route from most airports, are you sure this wasn't the case here for the Jersey from Doncaster. Very few airports offer Jersey flights year-round. Flybe have been offloading some of their less profitable routes, but I wouldn't rule out the return of Jersey for next summer just yet.

Jersey has been operated through the winter from DSA by FlyBE for quite a few years now. Maybe it will be just a winter cutback as times are not too good for them at the moment and hopefully will return in the spring.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock