Very good for Exeter , im actually working in area next few days and I'm off to see a client at industrial estate by airport right now !

I think Flybe will be fine as if you look at the 2 of the routes they are unserved and Malaga is probably under served.

That's good, Flybe have been a steadfast supporter of EXT it would be a big shame for them to be hit by Ryanair, although the new airlines and routes for Exeter are good news.

On Faro at CWL they seem to compliment each other and the numbers have grown quite well.
The surprise route for me is Naples! That's an excellent route for EXT to have!

Great news for Exeter Airport and kudos to Ryanair for adding EXT to their network.
This is exactly what EXT needs and competition for Flybe can only serve the best interests of EXT and the South West in general.
Lets hope these routes are a great success for both EXT and Ryanair.

Ryanair’s Low Fares Come to Exeter
Flights to Malaga, Malta & Naples from April 2019

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 airline, has announced its first ever flights from Exeter, its newest airport, with 3 new routes to Malaga, Malta and Naples commencing in April, as part of its Summer 2019 schedule.

Ryanair’s Summer 2019 Exeter schedule will deliver:
  • 3 new routes: Malaga, Malta & Naples
  • 6 weekly flights
  • 80,000 customers p.a.
Exeter consumers and visitors can now book their holidays for summer 2019 on the lowest fares. To celebrate, Ryanair has launched a seat sale with fares on its new Exeter routes available from just £34.99, for travel in April, which must be booked by midnight Thursday (13 Sep) only on the Ryanair.com website.

Ryanair’s Robin Kiely said: “We’re pleased to announce Ryanair’s low fares have arrived at Exeter, our newest airport and 21st in the UK. Our three new routes to Malaga, Malta and Naples start in summer 2019, each operating twice weekly, ensuring customers in the Devon region can book low fare flights to the sun.

“To celebrate, we are releasing seats for sale on these new routes from just £34.99 for travel in April, which are available for booking until midnight Thursday (13 Sep). Since these amazing low fares will be snapped up quickly, customers should log onto www.ryanair.com and avoid missing out.”

Exeter Airport MD, Matt Roach said: “This is a significant vote of confidence in the continued growth of Exeter Airport and we are delighted to be welcoming Ryanair for the very first time. These routes are popular destinations and offer customers even more choice and greater connectivity from their local airport.”

Exeter Airport

Flybe will need to watch them closely.

I don't know anything about the current management but in the past Flybe managements have been quite precious about preserving their ground at smaller airports. It's well known in local aviation circles that Flybe left BRS and took home their toys after easyJet came in and trumped their routes at that airport over a decade ago. The relationship between BRS and Flybe was strained for a number of years.

In fact, in 2007 when Flybe bought BAConnect the new owners closed the five-aircraft BRS base leading the BRS management to say publicly in a submission to the Competitions Commission a year or so later that a "surprise to the BRS team was the fact Flybe pulled off on some key routes ‘where they knew, and British Airways had admitted, they were making money’".

Flybe were also vociferous opponents to the BRS owners becoming preferred bidders for EXT when it was being sold into the private sector. After threats of competition issue action from local politicians and business people the BRS owners pulled out.

The current Flybe management might well be more rational in its outlook. It won't hurt them to have some competition in the form of another scheduled airline other than Scilly Skybus.
Great news for Exeter Airport and kudos to Ryanair for adding EXT to their network.
This is exactly what EXT needs and competition for Flybe can only serve the best interests of EXT and the South West in general.
Lets hope these routes are a great success for both EXT and Ryanair.

I wasn't expecting Ryanair to turn up at EXT, not for a long while anyway. It's very good news especially Malta (after Air Malta left a few years ago) and Naples. Naples is another destination that is seeing growth around UK airports next year.

The current Flybe management might well be more rational in its outlook. It won't hurt them to have some competition in the form of another scheduled airline other than Scilly Skybus.
Except with the exception of Malaga Ryanair aren't competing with them more complementing them. If Ryanair launch Alicante amd PMI and Faro in the future then yes that could be worrying for Flybe a little bit but i don't see Ryanair operating on their main domestic routes which would be a big problem for them. In a way Ryanair for Flybe might be the better option because if it were Easyjet then they might look more at routes like EDI, AMS, BFS and CDG which would have real potential to hurt Flybe.

The times for the new Ryanair flights.
Malaga
Wednesdays
AGP-EXT 08.00-09.35 EXT-AGP 10.00-13.35
Sundays
AGP-EXT 06.55-08.30 EXT-AGP 08.55-12.30
Malta
Tuesdays
MLA-EXT 06.30-08.50 EXT-MLA 09.15-13.35
Saturdays
MLA-EXT 16.55-19.15 EXT-MLA 19.40-23.59
Naples
Wednesdays
NAP-EXT 15.25-17.15 EXT-NAP 17.40-21.30
Sundays
NAP-EXT 06.25-08.15 EXT-NAP 08.40-12.30

I hadn't realised how poorly EXT was served to Malaga before Ryanair stepped in - 3 x weekly by Flybe. Alicante isn't much better - 4 x weekly by Flybe. I thought TUI served both in summer. Clearly a gap in the market that Ryanair has seen.

The one that fascinates me is Naples. Unlike with Malta where Ryanair will have flights from Bristol, Bournemouth and Cardiff and might lose some market share, particularly at the first two named airports, it does not operate to Naples from any of those airports. So it stands to attract some Naples passengers who might otherwise have used TUI at BOH, or TUI or easyJet at BRS, and possibly some from TUI at CWL.

I doubt that this time last week many people would have put money on Ryanair starting Malta and Naples from EXT as two of its first three routes, or indeed that Ryanair would have come calling at all. Apart from the fact that an airline of Ryanair's stature has arrived (I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but they usually do what they say they will do, including ramping up footfall at airports - most important with smaller airports' ancillary revenue streams) it also means that EXT is that bit less reliant on one airline for its scheduled passenger traffic - yes, Scilly Skybus also operates scheduled flights but it's a small and niche service.

I note there will be two Ryanair aircraft together on the apron on Sunday mornings. That will add some interest for aircraft spotters.

I do wonder if in the long run FR might end up taking over Faro and Alicante especially as from 2020 Flybe will only have 15 jets available.

There are a number of articles in the local press about Ryanair going to EXT. I've linked two of them below. In one interview a Ryanair spokesman says that if the new routes perform well there is no reason why more can't be added in the future, but that's the expected response to that question by any airline spokesman when an airline sets up at an airport for the first time. The important thing is for people to support the initiative in large numbers in the first instance thus enabling Ryanair to set fares so that it gets the yield it is looking for. If that happens Ryanair must surely look seriously at expanding.

Budget airline Ryanair to launch flights from Exeter Airport

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/ryanair-exeter-airport-malaga-naples-1990195

Flybe has strangely little to say about sharing Exeter Airport's runway with Ryanair

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/ryanair-exeter-flybe-malaga-airport-1991619

Word is on airport that gerona. .paphos. Ten. Lanz. Lpa . Could follow
Interesting, but I'd expect Ryanair will assess the revenue data first from next summer's three routes from EXT, before announcing any further routes.

Word is on airport that gerona. .paphos. Ten. Lanz. Lpa . Could follow
Welcome to Forums4Airports, Flybeboy.

When you say 'word is on airport' do you mean this is what the Exeter Airport management is saying, or are these rumours that are doing the rounds?

Yep it's talk around airport staff in canteen. Wait and see yes . But the same places routes keep coming up. Understand the Ryanair man that came to exe last week was saying things to people . Talk is extra routes to come 1 a or 2 a week see how these go. With the routes i mentioned being talked about around the airport saying . Their is a list of routes being talked about between Ryanair and the airport company. You are right . We will have to see?!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock