TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
The 3 x daily (fewer at weekends) route from Bristol to Paris Cdg operated by Airlinair for Air France has been upgraded from ATR 42 to ATR 72. In fact, on Friday evening and again tonight the night stopper is a F 100 of Blue Line.

easyJet competes with AF on the route, albeit easy is just once daily.

With KLM Cityhopper's reduced schedule (3 x daily down from 4, although the total passenger numbers seem not much less than when there were 4) and LH having axed the FRA route, perhaps this is the reason for the upgrade, although in some ways AF seems to be competing against itself for interline traffic with the KLM route to AMS.

• Admin
Whilst KLM reduced the Bristol schedule to 3 x daily from 4, neighbouring Cardiff Airport was retained at 4 x daily.

The raw passenger figures for the past two months raise questions as to why this was done.

In May BRS handled 19,703 passengers on its AMS route whilst CWL handled 10,951. In June the respective figures were 20,136 and 11,206.

It is true that BRS has a daily easyJet flight to AMS in addition to the KLM service whereas CWL now has no competing carrier. However, even if in the extremely unlikely event that every easyJet flight was full it would still mean BRS was carrying the same amount of passengers as CWL but with one less rotation each day.

It's not as if BRS has larger KLM aircraft. The equipment is invariably the F70 with the F100 putting in an appearance on some rotations.

I know that yields are what count but usually yields from BRS are good - this is a recurring theme from the professionals in the Welsh Aviation Network forum when posters ask why so many routes are allocated to Bristol instead of Cardiff.

It's hard to believe the KLM route is an exception.

• Admin
In May BRS handled 19,703 passengers on its AMS route whilst CWL handled 10,951. In June the respective figures were 20,136 and 11,206.

If easyJet's flights were all full they would have carried 9,672 in May and 9,360 in June which means the BRS KLM figures for those months would have been 10,031 and 10,776 respectively.

This scenario is so unlikely as to be discounted.

Even if easy had a 95% load factor in those months (they probably didn't) the BRS KLM loads would have been on a par with those from CWL.

In reality easy's lf was probably between 80 and 90% which would mean KLM at BRS carrying slightly more pax on 3 x daily than CWL at 4 x daily.

I raised this because at face value airlines sometimes appear to make odd commercial decisions whereas in reality there may be good reasons. It may be that even with lower loads at CWL KLM makes more money than with higher ones across the Severn.

We have someone with KLM knowledge on this forum and I was hoping an indication for the reason might be forthcoming.

CWL is invariably held up on airline forums as one of KLM's best regional UK bases. There is also the complicator that Air France also operates 3 x daily from BRS into CDG. That might have had a bearing on the airline's decision.

• Admin
I was told earlier today that an Embraer 190 operated the afternoon AMS into BRS yesterday and one was also expected on today's afternoon service.

I've just checked the BRS apron website to see that E190 PH-EZA has just touched down.

It's not thought that this rotation will always be a 190 but it's nice to know they have broken the ice.

• Admin
Re my previous post in this thread, I was at Bristol Airport today for a short while and noticed that the early afternoon arrival from AMS (KL 1053) was operated by Embraer 190, PH-EZI. Mayfly showed it as due to be operated by the usual F 70.

It's the first 190 I've seen on the ground. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between it and the 195, having in the past seen some of Flybe's 195s at BRS. I suppose if they were parked side by side one might look slightly bigger. The livery might also be a give-away. :wacko:

There was a profusion of blue in one area of the Eastern apron with two TOM 757s, a TOM 738 and the 190.

Made a change from the usual orange, and harped tails.

I have noticed that before, not much of a difference at all between the 190 and 195. Im sure someone will be able to tell us the seat config. difference perhaps.

Bet it was a nice change from usual orange, should of taken a picture of this momentious occasion, it may be a while before it happens again. Our (LBA's) TOM flight today was a First Choice 757WL (G-OOBJ), so no TOM blue today for us.

• Admin
I don't usually go in for aircraft reg numbers but PH-EZI caught my eye because it resembled an easyJet registration in some ways.

One of the TOM 757s was a former First Choice machine that has been painted in TOM blue.

It was G-OOB*, may have been OOBI but can't remember now for sure. The other was G-BYA* (again I've forgotten the last letter but it was a traditional TOM reg).

There were a few other non-Orange/Harp aircraft around this lunchtime.

Two ATR 72s (one Aurigny and one Air France/Airlinair), a bmi regional ERJ 145 (for Brussels Airlines), a TCX A320, a Flybe DH-8-400 and a Viking B 733 which certainly does make a nice change from the incessant diet of the two low-cost majors though I shouldn't really complain as they provide the backbone of the airport's operations.

Back to the topic, I believe the Emb 190s and 195s are very attractive aircraft and from reports very comfortable to fly in.

• Admin
I looked at the BRS apron website a few minutes ago and was surprised to see two Air France aircraft parked.

ATR 72 F-GVZN (Airlinair) is parked at stand 22 having brought in AF 1072 from CDG at 1660. Departures board shows its return as AF 1073 at 1715 was cancelled so presumably there is a problem with this aircraft.

Embraer 190 F-HBLA (Air France Regional [CAE]) is parked at stand 29R having brought in the evening inbound AF 1572 from CDG ahead of time at 2026. It will return to CDG tomorrow with the 0645 outbound AF 1573.

The AF Emb 190 follows the KLM Cityhopper Emb 190 and Flybe Emb 195 that have made occasional visits to BRS standing in for F 70 and DH-8-400 aircraft respectively.

I don't know if this is the first visit of an AF Emb 190. In the past Blue Line F 100s have substituted when the usual Airlinair ATR 72s have not been available for whatever reasons.

• Admin
KLM Cityhopper

Returning to 4 x daily from BRS from next March.

Has been 3 x daily for the past two or three years.

Just had a look at the BRS apron website and noticed that KLM F100 PH-OFO has been parked on stand since 2314 16 December.

Would have been due to have taken the first AMS out on Friday 17 December but all KLM flights in and out of BRS on 17th were cancelled because of adverse weather at AMS.

The apron site is showing etd as 1500 this afternoon.

I note also that the afternoon KLM from AMS is posted as operating.

Presumably the crew of OFO have had an extended stay in the West Country.

TheLocalYokel said:
KLM Cityhopper

Returning to 4 x daily from BRS from next March.

Has been 3 x daily for the past two or three years.

It would seem that KLM are upping most of their UK operations in March.

KLM F100 sitting on Stand 32, operating Friday morning's KL1046 to Amsterdam! Could be down to school holidays kicking in, our kids school finished Thursday, but I know some don't til today (Friday)

alphagolf

alphagolf said:
KLM F100 sitting on Stand 32, operating Friday morning's KL1046 to Amsterdam! Could be down to school holidays kicking in, our kids school finished Thursday, but I know some don't til today (Friday)

alphagolf

She had to go on 32 due work going on at gate 11/stand 21, but have had a lot of F100 this last week.

All the flights bar the morning one have been going out oversold, good news for KLM and the AF has had high loads both with lots of U/M's traveling.

Incident: KLM Cityhopper F70 near Norwich on Aug 14th 2011, fumes on board, both flight crew unwell

A KLM Cityhopper Fokker 70, registration PH-KZR performing flight WA-1050/KL-1050 from Bristol,EN (UK) to Amsterdam (Netherlands), was enroute at FL310 almost over London Stansted Airport,EN (UK) when the crew decided to divert to Norwich,EN (UK) about 70nm northnortheast of their present position due to fumes on board. Thew crew reported both pilots feeling unwell. The aircraft landed safely on Norwich's runway 27 about 15 minutes later. Crew and passengers did not require medical attention.

The flight was subsequently cancelled, the passengers were rebooked on other flights.

Source

Summer 2012

KLM Cityhopper retains its 4 x daily BRS-AMS service next summer.

For the five months April-August this year passenger numbers for the BRS-AMS route as a whole are up by nearly 40% on the same period last year though this does take account of April 2010 when the airport was shut for nearly a week because of the volcanic ash cloud.

Typically, monthly percentage passenger number rises were in the range 31%-36% this summer.

Given that easyJet also operates a daily Amsterdam service I calculated that the 26,580 passengers who flew BRS-AMS in August 2011 (both easyJet and KLM) occupied around 80% of the available seats. That's assuming a KLM F 70, though on occasions a 100 was used which will obviously bring the percentage down slightly, and an easyJet A319 which I'm confident was the case and that a 320 was not used on this route.

The previous summer months this year saw broadly similar percentage seat occupancy.

Next summer there will be even more seats available with easyJet operating 10 x weekly instead of daily following their recent announcement of a callaboration with the Netherlands Board of Tourism.

It's looking set fair then for Bristol-Amsterdam, two of my favourite cities.

KLM boosted the number of flights on offer from many UK airports earlier this year. I wonder if this is because more people are choosing interlining flights via Amsterdam over travelling to Heathrow by road?

Aviador said:
KLM boosted the number of flights on offer from many UK airports earlier this year. I wonder if this is because more people are choosing interlining flights via Amsterdam over travelling to Heathrow by road?

I rather go Via Amsterdam by air than Heathrow by road. Besides going Via Amsterdam means you aren't tired when you arrive as you wasn't the one driving, well flying in this case :LOL:

TheLocalYokel said:
The booking Aer Lingus booking page is now showing that BRS-DUB will be only 2 x daily on weekdays this winter. The evening rotation seems to have been axed.

Next summer's booking engine is showing a return to 3 x daily but so did the winter one until recently.

Ryanair was still 3 x daily this winter the last time I looked but we know how FR is liable to chop and change its timetable right up until it begins to take effect. 6 x daily rotations in winter always seemed a bit excessive even though the Dublin route is the most popular from BRS in terms of annual passenger numbers.

Don't mean to be rude but what does this have to do with KLM/Air France, im slightly confused. :dunno:

You're right and you are most polite about it.

It's the result of one or more of the following:

Senility.

Not getting the hang of a borrowed laptop (I hate the things because my fingers are much too clumsy).

Too much red wine this evening after a day spent walking Dartmoor in the hot sun.

An addled brain made even worse by mulling over the likelihood of Bristol City being in the Blue Square Prem in three years time with the conclusion that it's highly likely.

A subconscious thought that KLM/AF might take over Aer Lingus and/or Aer Arann.

I'm now going to see if I can get this laptop to delete my post, block and copy it (but not in that order), then put it where it should have been put in the first place. If it finishes up in the easyJet section it'll be obvious to all that laptops and me should never be in the same room together.

:LOL:

I've just bought a new DESK top for the same reason TheLocalYokel. I hate laptops too. It's the silly finger cursor thing that I hate the most. It takes twice as long to do anything on a laptop.

Now where were we? Er.....KLM?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock