Manchester Airport Consultative Committee (MACC) - Minutes

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
MACC draws its membership from Local Authorities (15 members); Amenity Groups (4 members); passengers and business users, and other groups representing Airport users, including disability representation, airport operations and staff, and independent bodies such as Which? and the National Trust (11 members). The Independent Chairman is appointed every four years by the Airport, and the Vice - Chairman is elected annually by the Committee from its membership.

Meetings
The meetings of MACC are normally attended by the Airport's Managing Director, and other Airport staff who give reports on the many matters of interest to the Committee. These staff are not members of the Committee, which is also serviced independently by its Secretariat, and supported by an independent Environmental Adviser.

The full Committee meets quarterly, next meetings are listed below:
  • Friday 19th July 2019
  • Friday 11th October 2019
  • Friday 17th January 2020
  • Friday 24th April 2020
There are also two sub-committees that also meet quarterly:

• The Technical Advisory Group - focuses on the external ‘face’ of the Airport, covering ground transport, environmental controls and policy, airline performance and airfield operations issues.
  • The Airport Users Advisory Group - is responsible for advising on matters involving the operation of the terminals and passenger facilities.
It is not possible for members of the public to attend the TAG and AUAG meetings, however it is possible to attend the quarterly full committee meetings.

I will provide links to the Minutes of the meetings that were held on 18th January 2019 and then on 12th April 2019. I was able to attend the latest meeting, which was held on Friday 19th July and will also provide details of relevant items of interest when they become available for general discussion.

Advertisement

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
The next meeting of the Manchester Airport Consultative Committee will be held on Friday 18th October at 10am. The meeting is at Olympic House at the Airport.

As the meeting is open to the public, in an observer role, I will be attending. If anybody else is interested in attending please PM me and I can have you added to the list of attendees - this is so that the Olympic House reception know who to expect.

Scottie Dog

IanFarquharson

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2015
Balsall Common
bhxmovements..co.uk
The next meeting of the Manchester Airport Consultative Committee will be held on Friday 18th October at 10am. The meeting is at Olympic House at the Airport.

As the meeting is open to the public, in an observer role, I will be attending. If anybody else is interested in attending please PM me and I can have you added to the list of attendees - this is so that the Olympic House reception know who to expect.

Scottie Dog
It will be interesting to hear their views on the TCX collapse and how they are going to fill the void.

I really cannot see how the airport will get back completely back to 30m level in 2020.

Like most airports 2020 will be challenging and I see MAN down probably around 5% the same at BHX.

A lot however depends on Jet 2 / Tui / Flybe etc

Ian

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
I was pleased to be joined by #Land23R at the latest MACC meeting on 18th October - which was also the 50th Birthday of the committee.

I'll provide an update next week with links to the minutes of the July meeting and a report from this month.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
As promised here is a link to the agenda for the meeting on 18th October, together with the approved minutes from the previous meeting held on 19th July.

In all fairness the acoustics in the meeting room were pretty atrocious and a fair amount of the reports were hard to follow - hopefully this will be improved upon as I requested that the speakers be provided with microphones.

The report by ICCAN is fully detailed within the attachment, as is that from Brad Miller the COO. Unfortunately both Land23R and myself struggled to hear exactly what Brad said, the one part that did catch our attention (provided we heard it correctly) was the fact that the T2X check-in hall will not open until October 2020. The actual opening date for other parts of the extension was not specifically mentioned.

The next meeting is planned for Friday 17th January 2020 which I intend to also attend that event and will report in due course.

Scottie Dog

LS@MAN

Feb 20, 2018
UK
Considering the check in area looks one of the more advanced parts...that’s surprising

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Just a quick 'heads up' that the next meeting of the Manchester Airport Consultative Committee is on Friday 17th January at 10am. The meetings are held at Olympic House.

If anybody is interested in attending then please let me know and I will arrange for you to be added to the "Expected to attend" list.

Scottie Dog

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
The following are from notes that I made at the meeting:
  • Security queue times. Times are measured from time of boarding pass being scanned to arriving at the security belts
  • A new SLA will be introduced for security queues at T2 when the new facility opens

• Brad Miller's report
  • T2 extension is scheduled to me handed over to the airport on 6th March
  • Live operations are due to start on 1st July - this will be 1 island of new check-in desks/Security hall/Airside lounges and shops/New coaching lounge/Immigration/1 baggage reclaim belt. The rest of the terminal opens in November.
  • New routes - whilst short-haul routes have been filled following the demise of Thomas Cook it can take up to 2 or 3 years to get replacement long-haul carriers to fill the empty slots

• Latest Brexit position
  • MEPs are due to vote on 29th January to approve Britain's exit prior to our formally leaving on 31st January
  • Transition period until 31st December 2020
  • No disruption is expected by the airport
  • A new long-term aviation "Open Skies" policy is required as soon as possible
  • MAG has an internal Brexit team working with Border Force

• Rail/Coach
  • A briefing was given by Andy Saunders (Surface Access Strategy Manager)
  • National Express are to open new links to - Birmingham/Chester and London. These are due to start in May 2020
  • Megabus are planning new services from February 2020 to - Leeds/Middlesbrough/Sunderland/Newcastle, Bristol/Cardiff, Birmingham/Coventry
  • A briefing was also given by Simon Elliott (Senior Project Manager - Transport for Greater Manchester)
  • This covered the problems that have occured over the last year as a result of failings by Northern Rail and Transpennine Express
  • David Neill (Head of Planning for Jet2) commented on the problems that Transpennine delays were causing to not only their passengers but also to their own staff when travelling to the airport.

Last edited:

LS@MAN

Feb 20, 2018
UK
Thanks @Scottie Dog thanks for the info.
Be interesting on 16th Oct at their next meeting to see if their plan for T2X is still in place i.e. opening in January...

Land23R

Platinum Member
May 9, 2014
Cheshire
Thanks Scottie,

The section on Organisation Restructure is interesting with the new centralised group functions. Unless I'm missing it, I couldn't see who the respective MD's at each airport will report to. Is it Ken O'Toole, or Andrew Cowan, or both? Presumably they in turn will report to Charlie Cornish if he's CEO of MAG.

Disappointing but inevitable I suppose that work on Piers 2 & 3 of the TP has been halted.

Advertisement

Top Bottom