I've done a bit of research and the Carvairs apparently operating to BHX went via Bristol to deliver cars and then to BHX to collect freight and return to Dublin.

I know this is the Liverpool forum so apologies for sort of hijacking it, it's just that the aviation bug is in the blood.

No problems Rollo - I'm sure that all who read this will be interested,and possibly even intrigued, as to what happened all those decades ago.

Is it just me or have times changed so much that we, the oldies, tend to forget what we took for granted (and forgot to photograph?). With the internet, scanners etc we now have information at our fingertips which we could only have dreamed of in those days. Are our mobile phones the communicators that Captain James T Kirk used? Long gone are the days when the home telephone would ring and it would be a friend saying that Heathrow was closed due to fog and XYZ was diverting.

Part of me says that I'm actually glad to be 'old' as I have memories that I will treasure.

Know what you mean Scottie Dog I've been lucky to have travelled much of the world and often think back to my parents who each had only one trip abroad, mom had a daytrip to Rotterdam British Midland Argonaut and dad a weekend fishing trip to Cork Aer Lingus F27 Friendship I knew it could get aeroplanes in it somewhere, times have certainly changed as my eldest son had took himself and future wife off round the world at aged twenty four.

Maybe we need a general nostalgia thread or something for the old folk ( f**** )on here.

Didn't Aer Lingus operate a Carvair cargo flight in the 60's?
From info ive read out of Liverpool the Viscount replaced the Carvair which was then replaced by the 737 200 QC. Incidentally the Carvair also was a car carrying service before RoRo ferries.

No problems Rollo - I'm sure that all who read this will be interested,and possibly even intrigued, as to what happened all those decades ago.

Are our mobile phones the communicators that Captain James T Kirk used?

Beam me up Scottie, sorry just couldn't resist in sure you've heard it all before!

Is it just me or have times changed so much that we, the oldies, tend to forget what we took for granted (and forgot to photograph?). With the internet, scanners etc we now have information at our fingertips which we could only have dreamed of in those days. Are our mobile phones the communicators that Captain James T Kirk used? Long gone are the days when the home telephone would ring and it would be a friend saying that Heathrow was closed due to fog and XYZ was diverting.

Part of me says that I'm actually glad to be 'old' as I have memories that I will treasure.

There was certainly a more glamorous feel about it at one time, and of course security was a lot easier too. When I worked in travel I used to fly with British Midland from Liverpool to Heathrow quite often. I used to turn up about 30 mins before the flight, although you could leave it later, show my ticket receive a boarding pass and go. So simple.

From Liverpool Airport Twitter feed. This route was also operated by Manx Airlines, being a route that began in Glasgow, but fixed wing !!

It's #ThrowbackThursday so here's a shot of a British European Airways helicopter passenger service travelling from Liverpool to Cardiff on 1 June 1950!

This was a posed shot starring Sikorsky S-51 helicopter, G-AJOV.

#FlyLPL #FasterEasierFriendlier

View attachment 14627

Seeing that Carl reminds me that in the 1950s BEA operated a similar service to Elmdon from Hay Mills in Birmingham must have been all of three miles in a straight line, unsurprisingly it was a short lived service!

Seeing that Carl reminds me that in the 1950s BEA operated a similar service to Elmdon from Hay Mills in Birmingham must have been all of three miles in a straight line, unsurprisingly it was a short lived service!

Really a helicopter from Birmingham city centre to the airport ! I wonder who thought.that one up !?

It wasn't even the city centre Hay Mills is halfway between the city centre and the airport.

Here's an
@AerLingus
Dragon Iolar overlooked by our old terminal building, which opened on 26 April 1986. ✈️ It may look like a caravan with wings, but what an aircraft to commemorate #ThrowbackThursday!

#FlyLPL #FasterEasierFriendlier

Here's another TWITTER from airport this time with Dragon Rapids, which I experienced once at Duxford. The previous terminal building which I do remember well from the British Midland days now seems very small and an age ago !☺

I appreciate these were not taken at Liverpool - I'll give you one guess as to where it was - but it does give a better idea of what the de Havilland Dragon was like. Just look at the instrumentation in the cockpit, and also on the port engine nacelle!!

View attachment 14657

View attachment 14658

View attachment 14659

NB - that is a much younger Scottie Dog than the present day version in photo #1!!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock