• Admin
Two new independent Chairs for Gatwick’s Noise Management Board announced
View attachment 15567
NMB brings community groups and industry together to manage and mitigate aircraft noise
New NMB structure has two Chairs – one to lead the NMB Executive Board and the other to lead the newly created NMB Community Forum

New structure also allows for more community groups and locally elected representatives to be included
Following a public recruitment process, two new independent Chairs for Gatwick’s Noise Management Board (NMB) were announced yesterday (3 December) at the Board’s fourth annual public meeting.

The new Chair of the NMB’s Executive Board is Jonathan Drew and the Chair of the NMB Community Forum is Warren Morgan.

Jonathan Drew is a career civil servant and diplomat with extensive experience working in the Foreign Office on a variety of challenging international issues. He has served as British High Commissioner to Mauritius and Ambassador to the Union of the Comoros. Most recently Jonathan headed up the Foreign Office’s Trade Diplomacy Department in London.

Warren Morgan has over 15 years’ experience in local government as a councillor and has an excellent reputation for representing the views of constituents, including ten years leading a forum where local residents could have their say on the construction of the new £450 million regional trauma centre at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. He brings with him a wealth of knowledge from his three-year leadership of Brighton and Hove City Council and work with businesses and local authorities across the South East of England.

Two chairs have been appointed – and two separate Boards formed – in a dual track structure for the first time following a recommendation of the NMB Review Committee. The Review Committee was established in August 2018 to consider the future of the NMB as it transitioned into a second three-year term (See Notes).

The new structure will support the inclusion of a greater number of both community groups and locally elected representatives on the NMB.

The Executive Board is responsible for developing noise reduction workplans and overseeing their delivery, while also balancing the interests of communities negatively affected by aircraft noise with those of passengers and airlines that rely on Gatwick Airport.

The Community Forum is responsible for facilitating effective engagement across all community groups impacted by Gatwick noise and for ensuring that noise issues are suitably documented and understood. The Community Forum will engage closely with the NMB Executive Board to facilitate the establishment of a community-wide noise reduction strategy and to agree noise reduction initiatives.

Both positions were advertised widely, and the successful applicants were interviewed by a panel that was structured to include a balance of industry and local stakeholders, including two local council members, an airline representative, and Gatwick’s Head of Airspace. A commissioner from the newly established Independent Commission on Civil Aviation Noise also joined the panel to observe the process and provide advice and feedback (See Notes).

Tim Norwood, Director of Corporate Affairs, Planning and Sustainability, Gatwick Airport, said: “I am delighted to announce that Jonathan and Warren will be leading the NMB into its second three-year term. Both bring a wealth of experience and I look forward to working with them in the new NMB structure, which is expected to expand the scope for representation from, and engagement with, our local communities and councils.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the outgoing Chair, Bo Redeborn, for leading the Arrivals Review and the work of the NMB to date. During his tenure, NMB initiatives including the modification of the A320 family of aircraft, have helped to significantly improve noise impacts at the airport.”

Jonathan Drew, new Chair of the NMB Executive Board, said: “I’m honoured to have been appointed Chair of the NMB’s Executive Board. I look forward to working with communities and other parties, alongside Warren, to agree together further real actions to mitigate noise in the Gatwick area”

Warren Morgan, new Chair of the NMB Community Forum, said: “I’m delighted to be taking up this challenging new role helping to ensure the voices of residents across Kent, Surrey and Sussex impacted by aircraft noise are heard and acted upon. I look forward to working with Jonathan and other members of the Noise Management Board team, and to continue the good work of Bo Redeborn in finding practical solutions to noise issues around London Gatwick Airport.”

An annual report is also available to look back at the progress of the NMB over the previous year.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock