• Admin
Manchester Airport is the first UK airport to offer passengers the option to pre-book a timeslot at security
View attachment 16822

MAG, the airport’s owner, will trial offering free 15-minute pre-booked security slots as part of a new standard for safe air travel.

The approach will allow the airport to manage the volume of passengers coming through security more efficiently and help keep queues shorter.

To improve the security experience and help restore confidence in travel as the airport begins to see more people wanting to travel, passengers at Manchester Airport now have the opportunity to pre-book a free 15-minute security slot, as part of a UK-first new trial by MAG.

The option is available from this week and accessible here: https://booking.manchesterairport.co.uk/security/dates/
The trial is part of a series of measures introduced by MAG to ensure passengers feel safer and more confident about travelling by air, particularly when travel demand starts to grow again in the near future. Last month, the airport group became the first to ask all passengers to cover their face either with face masks or with their own clothing. All MAG colleagues, interacting with passengers, are also required to wear the necessary protective equipment.

By booking their free slot, passengers will benefit from access to a dedicated lane straight to the security checkpoint and will be able to reach the departure lounge quicker. This approach will also allow the airport to manage the volume of passengers coming through security more efficiently and help keep queues shorter. The availability of slots is limited and will be operated on a first come first served basis, through online booking. Passengers are encouraged to make a booking around two hours before their flight departure time and asked to arrive within the chosen slot. If passengers arrive outside the allocated time, they will not be able to access the dedicated line and will be redirected to the security queue, which may be longer than usual given social distancing measures that the airport will put in place.

Manchester Airport is the first UK Airport to announce such a scheme, and in so doing is aiming to support safe standards for future air travel. The booking system was developed by MAGO which is MAG’s in-house digital business, aimed at providing industry leading online technology for airports.

If successful, the technology will be put in place at the group’s other airports at London Stansted and East Midlands.
Brad Miller, Chief Operating Officer at Manchester Airport, said:

“Safety and security will always be the first priority and, at the same time, Covid-19 will undoubtedly reshape the airport experience. We are exploring every innovation and technology that can help us to adapt to the new world, protect public health and restore confidence in air travel.

“This new measure will allow us to manage our security process more efficiently in these challenging times, providing a better and more comfortable experience for passengers.

“It is the latest in a series of measures introduced by MAG to make travel safer during the pandemic, which includes asking passengers and colleagues to wear face coverings and piloting temperature screening technologies.”

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see how this works as most people are hopeless at getting their timings right at airports. Too early, too late, difficulty parking or problems with traffic.

As long as the airport doesn't start charging??

If it works, they will for sure..But I do think its a step in the right direction. If you leave it free though, most won`t care about timing. If you charge a reasonable fee they might. In the grand scheme of holiday costs it would be something I`d seriously consider for the future.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock