• Admin

Southwest Shows Chicago Some Love With Inaugural O’Hare Service

View attachment 21543
Daily nonstop flights to five U.S. cities start on Valentine’s Day

Southwest Airlines gave the City of Chicago and the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) a Valentine's Day gift this morning with the launch of the Dallas-based carrier's first-ever service at O'Hare International Airport.

“Southwest's decision to expand its operations to O'Hare underscores the strength of Chicago's aviation market and the key role the City will play in the recovery of an airline industry severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic," Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot said. “Investing in Chicago's airport infrastructure is central to our region's economic recovery and creation of good-paying jobs, making the ongoing implementation of O'Hare 21 projects and recent improvements at Midway more important than ever."

The new daily nonstop flights begin this morning, connecting passengers to Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, Nashville and Phoenix. Southwest will also offer Saturday-only service to Orlando from O'Hare starting March 13, 2021.

“I'm proud to welcome Southwest as the newest member of the O'Hare airport community," CDA Commissioner Jamie L. Rhee said. “These new routes will reinforce O'Hare's world-class connectivity and offer Chicagoans and visitors a wide array of choices and opportunities when non-essential travel can safely resume, all while complementing Southwest's long-standing commitment to serve Chicago at Midway."

Southwest has offered extensive service at Midway since March 1985, bringing travel opportunities and economic growth to the City's communities. During peak seasons, the carrier offers 250 departures a day from Midway to 95 destinations, making Chicago the second-largest city in its system by capacity.

“Making it easier to fly Southwest for business or leisure, we're excited to bring more options to Chicago travelers, through a preferred airport for many of our existing customers in northern Chicagoland," said Dave Harvey, Vice President of Southwest Business. “These additional flights put the flexible policies and world-class hospitality our Midway Airport customers already enjoy, on the North Side and further the ease of flying Southwest without a longer commute."

The new service will utilize Boeing 737-700 aircraft with 143 seats each. Southwest will also employ 11 people for its ground operations at O'Hare. The inaugural flight is Southwest 382 from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), scheduled to arrive at O'Hare this morning before continuing on to Dallas Love Field.

Looking at the picture of Chicago airport,i can see no 747 on the ramps. It just shows how the 747 has been dropped by the airlines in the last 2 years or so.It goes to show how the 2 engine aircraft is reliable.

I can tell you that the picture used in the article is a very old picture of ORD. Having said that, being major hubs for AA & UA (neither of which have B747s) you still don't see many B747s in ORD. I was in ORD twice in January and the B747s there were mostly limited to cargo operators plus Lufthansa with their newer B747-8s. BA also used to operate B747s on their LHR-ORD route however B787s and B777s now operate the route.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock