The CAA appear to have really screwed things up for February's statistics.

No problem with International - the answer there is NIL, but domestic has 3 difference results:

Table 10.2 shows 905 pax. Table 8 shows 905 pax. Table 12.2 gives 32. Table 12.3 gives 72.

I'll try speaking to the CAA tomorrow and see what they say.

The CAA appear to have really screwed things up for February's statistics.

No problem with International - the answer there is NIL, but domestic has 3 difference results:

Table 10.2 shows 905 pax. Table 8 shows 905 pax. Table 12.2 gives 32. Table 12.3 gives 72.

I'll try speaking to the CAA tomorrow and see what they say.
Well it's going to be 905 isn't it? 4 ATR72 movements per week for a month. Possibly 6 per week at one point.

Table 12.3 gives Belfast City as 905 but also has Cardiff with 32 and Southampton as 40.

As I say life gets confusing - I've just noticed however that in the overview of February's data they state that Belfast City has not provided any info. That means the 905 might, or might not, include Cardiff and Southampton.

Ps - email sent to my contact within the CAA

Last edited:
I've now received a very rapid response from the CAA which clarifies the situation with regards to February's figures.

Hello

Table 12.2 is generally the more reliable once all data received as passengers would be counted once only. If from a London airport they would be recorded under that, then if not a London airport involved they would be recorded by the alphabetically low airport in the pair. Table 12.3 records data reported by all the reporting airports so for example on a route Heathrow – Manchester data would be recorded under both airports as reporting airports, in this example I can see that Heathrow are recoding 12062 passengers to/from Manchester, whilst Manchester are reporting 11861 passengers between these two airports.

Re your figures below:

Table 10.2 shows 905 pax. Table 8 shows 905 pax. Table 12.2 gives 32. Table 12.3 gives 72

On table 12.3 Leeds are reporting 905 passengers to/from Belfast City, but as Belfast City data is not yet available their version is not yet recorded. This is missing currently from table 12.2 as Belfast City is the low airport alphabetically in the pair. The 72 passengers recorded on table 12.3 relate to Cardiff – Leeds and Southampton – Leeds, but Leeds have not reported these themselves.

On the basis of this reply I'll settle on a figure of 977 and will provide my monthly analysis this afternoon - in the meantime the garden beckons as the grass is getting nearly as long as my hair!!

Scottie Dog

I've now received a very rapid response from the CAA which clarifies the situation with regards to February's figures.

Hello

Table 12.2 is generally the more reliable once all data received as passengers would be counted once only. If from a London airport they would be recorded under that, then if not a London airport involved they would be recorded by the alphabetically low airport in the pair. Table 12.3 records data reported by all the reporting airports so for example on a route Heathrow – Manchester data would be recorded under both airports as reporting airports, in this example I can see that Heathrow are recoding 12062 passengers to/from Manchester, whilst Manchester are reporting 11861 passengers between these two airports.

Clear as mud explanation from the CAA. No wonder their figures have people scratching their heads sometimes.

I posted elsewhere on F4A recently that table 12.3 (Domestic passengers per route reported from both ends) is often at variance between the two ends, whichever airports snd whichever route might be looked at. LHR-MAN is but one of many thousands of discrepancies that will have been recorded down the years.

The CAA is clearly aware so why do they persist in publishing 12.3? 12.2 provides domestic route passenger numbers, reported from either the London airport end or by the first airport alphabetically in the case of non-London routes. I always take 12.2 as the more accurate one (as the CAA suggests), although it might not be, but at least there is not another (different) figure to add more confusion.

I've long taken the CAA passenger stats to be no more than a general guide. For starters they rely on airports for the figures, and if airports at either end of a route cannot agree on the number of passengers using it one has to wonder what other CAA aviation stats are also incorrect.

I really don't understand why on a domestic route between airport A and airport B the two airports often come to different conclusions when adding up the number of passengers who used the route in a particular month or year. Taking a LBA route at random for the calendar year of 2019 (LBA-SOU) table 12.3 shows that 26,930 passengers used the route when reported from the LBA end but 27,135 when reported from the SOU end.

June 2021
HEATHROW
956,862​
up
173.06​
%
STANSTED
351,686​
up
494.14​
%
GATWICK
233,821​
up
708.79​
%
MANCHESTER
204,947​
up
413.34​
%
EDINBURGH
176,464​
up
826.32​
%
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL
174,616​
up
1072.23​
%
GLASGOW
132,554​
up
1055.05​
%
BIRMINGHAM
94,065​
up
591.96​
%
ABERDEEN
88,602​
up
108.35​
%
BELFAST CITY (GEORGE BEST)
68,887​
up
534.55​
%
LIVERPOOL (JOHN LENNON)
63,320​
up
739.34​
%
JERSEY
56,967​
up
2224.24​
%
NEWCASTLE
39,032​
up
706.45​
%
INVERNESS
35,413​
up
4628.04​
%
LONDON CITY
31,530​
up
30511.65​
%
EAST MIDLANDS INTERNATIONAL
20,995​
up
1740.05​
%
SUMBURGH
17,588​
up
359.46​
%
SOUTHAMPTON
17,256​
up
337.75​
%
LEEDS BRADFORD
14,359​
up
6036.32​
%

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock