Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
December figures down -11.7% on the same month last year. Rolling figures stand at 5,016,640

Re: Passenger Figures Update

January 2009

CAA stats show 250,670 passengers were handled in the month, down 16.7% on January 2008. Atms were down 10.8%.

The rolling 12-month passenger figure is 4,966,379, down 11.2% on a year ago.

So NCL falls below the 5mppa barrier. It doesn't seem long ago that it was heading strongly for 6 million.

• Admin

Over the years Newcastle has relied on a steady stream of passengers crossing the borders from Scotland to catch air services. A large percentage of Scottish passengers have done this for years. The last White Paper for airports suggested that this market would be eroded over the years and that Newcastle's growth would be reduced. I think with all the expansion of low cost airlines particularly from Edinburgh with the likes of Ryanair, FlyGlobespan and Jet2, we are starting to see this happen and probably sooner than previously thought. Now I know that the airport will have seen a decline with the economic downturn but I would be interested to know just how much effect the Scottish market has had on Newcastle airport.

March 2009

CAA provisional stats show 313,295 passengers were handled last month, down 12.6% on March 2008.

Rolling 12-month total is 4,848,485, down 12.3% on a year ago.

Ironically, because NCL has been doing poorly in comparison with its peers for many months, the monthly percentage drop is less than some of those peers, which might indicate the downward trend there is bottoming out.

The damage that has been done over the last year though is there for all to see with the 12-month rolling total down over 12%.

April 2008

It does seem that NCL's dreadful year is beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

April saw 330,729 passengers handled, down 'only' 7% on April 2008.

The rolling 12-month total stands at 4,823,299, down 11.8% on a year ago.

May 2009

More evidence that last year's slide in passenger numbers each month is beginning to ease, although perhaps not too much comfort because the base is now that much lower.

In May the airport saw 435,702 passengers, down 7% on May 2008.

Rolling 12-month total stands at 4,790,534, down 11.6% on a year ago.

• Admin

CAA Stats for June

Passenger numbers for June were -9.3% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of June were 484,769

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 4,740,917 -11.6% down.

Another shocking month for Newcastle airport.

• Admin

CAA Stats for August

Passenger numbers for August were -5.5% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of August were 539,722

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 4,673,982 -10.6% down.

No sign of any recovery at Newcastle.

I think in percentage terms Newcastle will begin to look better soon but that is only because the airport started its downward path before many airports and the early months of the dip will be removed from the 12-month rolling period and so the percentage drops are calculated from a lower base.

But that is only percentages. In real terms the actual passenger numbers continue to decline. Although the August year on year figure shows a slightly lower percentage drop the total passenger numbers carried from August to August are lower than those carried from July to July.

At least one person on the Dried Plum has been taken in by this and believes a recovery is in hand with the 5mppa level regained by the end of the year.

Stand by the for the airport spin doctors to use the percentage ploy to tell the public how much better the airport is doing.

In fairness it won't just be the NCL management. As the early excesses of the drought drop out of the 12-month reporting period all airports will begin to show lower annual and monthly percentage drops as the winter proceeds, again because of the lower base on which the figures are calculated.

September 2009

Newcastle handled 505,237 passengers in September 2009, down 2.7% on September 2009.

Rolling 12-month figure to the end of September is 4,659,844, down 9.6% on a year ago.

Newcastle was one of the first airports to suffer big falls in passenger numbers with the result that the early drops have now left the 12-month cycle, giving an impression of recovery.

To an extent it is true in that the rate of fall has been reduced.

However, although September's rolling 12-month figure is down 9.6% compared to August's 12-month figure drop of 10.6%, the 12 months ending in September saw fewer passengers handled than the 12 months ending August - 4,659,844 (Sept) and 4,673,874 (Aug).

Furthermore, a comparison with September 2007 shows Newcastle down nearly 17.7% in the 12-month rolling figure calculation - 5,660,490 (2007) and 4,659,844 (2009).

Most airports that have experienced big falls in the last year or more will soon begin to bottom out in this fashion, and just wait for the spin that is put on it.

CAA Stats for October

Passenger numbers for October were -5.3% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of October were 438,777

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 4,635,462 -8.9% down.

Five months have passed since I last updated the Newcastle passenger figures thread. Little has changed.

CAA Stats for March

Passenger numbers for March were -7.2% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of March were 290,408

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 4,521,795 -6,7% down.

Business passengers return to Newcastle Airport

An airline using Newcastle Airport believes business travel in the region could return to pre-recession highs by the end of the year, the Journal reports. Following a fall-off in corporate passengers last year Lufthansa, one of the main business airlines from Newcastle Airport, says it will be back to 2008 levels of business by the new year.

Lufthansa general manager for the UK and Ireland Marianne Sammann told The Journal year-on-year performance is up 27%. The year-on-year performance for October alone saw an increase of 65%. The improvements followed a 17% downturn in passenger numbers for 2009, compared with 2008.

Ms Sammann said: ‘After a very difficult year in 2009 we have seen a fantastic increase in our passenger figures. If we make a forecast for the whole year, then we have to say it has been about catch-up for the last two years. But it is very likely we will be back at 2008 figures by the end of the year, which is not what we expected at the start of the year. Business travel has definitely come back, with lots of travel between Newcastle and the industrial area in the north of Germany.’

She added that she believes the upturn in figures was true for other corporate carriers operating routes from Newcastle Airport.

Source

January 2011

CAA provisional stats show that 234,780 passengers were handled in the month, up 4.4% on January 2010. Atms were down 1.1%.

Rolling 12-month total is 4,356,452, down 4.1% on a year ago.

As with all UK airports it has to be remembered that January 2010 was severely affected by bad weather so the comparision will not be quite like for like, given January 2011 was much less affected.

Nevertheless, NCL seems to be starting a slow recovery towards the over 5.6 mppa that it saw three years ago. It's a long climb.

It is debatable how much more Newcastle can really grow. The catchment area for the airport is relatively limited. It's position in the North East of England is ideally suited for Scottish passengers wishing to use an alternative airport but in recent years the popularity of Edinburgh airport has surged. This has lead to a large reduction in passengers originating from Scotland wanting to fly from the North East airport. The airport should make some gains from due to the reduction in services from neighboring airport Durham Tees Valley but it remain to be seen if the airport can really grow beyond around 6.5 to 7 mppa in the future.

CAA Stats for July

Passenger numbers for July were 515,098 down -0.6% compared with the same month last year.

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 4,384,831 down -0.5% year on year.[/quote]

With Ryanair pulling their Olso route, it makes me wonder how the airport achieves such high passenger numbers, although dwindling.

There is no massive investment from the loco's; Ryanair having no base, EasyJet's being virtually non-existent and Jet2's being nothing special.

With prime routes such as; Emirates-Dubai, Heathrow-BA and AirTransat-Toronto how is the airport managing to lose passengers continuously since 2006...?

tom

I think you've answered your own question.

Newcastle has lost a lot of passengers over the past four years.

In 2007 it handled 5.62 million but it's currently running at 4.33 million, a decrease of nearly a quarter of its passenger numbers in that time.

Where it does outperform its peers is in the charter market.

For example, in August this year it handled 186,000 charter passengers compared with Glasgow 168K, East Midlands 144K, Bristol 120K, Belfast International 54K, Edinburgh 30K, Leeds-Bradford 28K and Liverpool just over 1K.

DfT forecast for UK airport passenger numbers in 2020 and 2050

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has picked up on the post I did recently in the Aviation Industry forum regarding the DfT's forecast for UK airport passenger figures for the years 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050.

I reproduced the figures for 2020 and 2050 for the current top 20 airports.

Perhaps the Aviation Industry forum is not well visited so I thought I'd mention the individual airport figures in the forums of the more popular airports on forums4airports.

The Dft is forecasting sparse growth until 2020 at many regional airports.

Newcastle Airport is forecast to be handling 5 mppa in 2020 and and between 6 and 20 mppa in 2050.

CAA Passenger Stats for March 2012

A total of 284,886 passed through Newcastle airport during March, up 4.2% on March last year.

Rolling year passenger figures stand at 4,334,312, up 0.1%

A glimmer of hope with a rise of 4.2% last month.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock