Four millionth passenger arrives for 2017
The North East’s largest airport is celebrating today after welcoming its four millionth passenger in 2017.

The airport is on track to grow passenger numbers to over 5 million this year and reached this latest milestone as passengers arrived on a British Airways flight from London Heathrow.

To mark the occasion staff welcomed Miyu Matsuzaki, arriving to the North East from Japan, with a bottle of champagne along with £100 worth of vouchers for use at the Malmaison Hotel on Newcastle’s Quayside.

Miss Matsuzaki, who will begin studies at Newcastle University this term, was also greeted by the Newcastle University welcoming team. There was further cause for celebration with the passenger also celebrating her 18th birthday today!

Miyu said, “Thank you very much, I am so surprised! I’ll be studying Modern Languages at Newcastle University as an exchange student. This is a great welcome after travelling all the way from Japan

Leon McQuaid, Aviation Development Manager at Newcastle International Airport, said: “We are delighted to have now served four million passengers this year and are on track to break 5 million by the end of 2017. It’s fantastic to celebrate our latest achievement with Miyu and Newcastle University who are doing a great job welcoming new students to the region.

“We offer 6 flights per day to and from London Heathrow with British Airways, this is a great asset to the North East region and allows our passengers to connect to almost anywhere in the world.

Newcastle Airport Press Release

Five millionth passenger welcomed at Newcastle Airport
Newcastle International Airport is continuing to celebrate record numbers after welcoming its five millionth passenger in 2017 today; the first time it has done so since 2008.

The North East’s largest airport, which was voted Britain’s best airport for a second successive year in the summer, reached its latest landmark figure a month earlier than in 2008, with passenger figures set to be the highest in a decade as 2017 comes to a close.

To celebrate the occasion, staff were on hand to greet the five millionth passenger, Mark Knight from Langley Moor in County Durham and his family, as they checked in for the daily Air France flight to Paris, gifting them with a VIP pre-departure experience and £100 worth of World Duty Free Vouchers.

Mark said: “This is a wonderful surprise – I’m over the moon to be the five millionth passenger. My family and I are off to Disneyland for the first time where my daughter, Mia, will be dancing in a show. It’s going to be a really exciting weekend and this is just the best start we could have asked for.

Leon McQuaid, Aviation Development Manager at Newcastle International Airport, said: “We’re delighted to have now served five million passengers for the first time in almost ten years and we’re thrilled to be on track to reach our highest passenger figures in a decade by the end of the year.

It’s always great to celebrate these milestones with our passengers, however this one was particularly special as it’s such a fantastic achievement for the airport. We hope that the Knight’s trip to Disneyland is special and wish Mia the best of luck with her dance.

It’s very important that people have choice from their local airport and with more than 80 direct destinations now available from Newcastle and connections across the globe thanks to our extensive hub network, with airlines such as Air France, discovering the world from the North East has never been easier.

Newcastle Airport will also be celebrating the five million milestone across its ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- channel, encouraging passengers to share their experiences at the airport this year for a chance to win an iPad and a behind the scenes tour of the airport.

CAA April Figures.

Aircraft Movements:
2023: 3,436
2022: 3,375
2019: 3,897

Terminal Passengers:
2023: 366,199
2022: 310,863
2019: 392,913

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock