Brilliant. Shouldn’t be a problem then.
I assume you are going to be filming it?
I think it depends on the cabin crew but they might not let you film the takeoff and landing. On the way up the attendant wasn't bothered but the on the way back the cabin crew stopped me. It might be because i was using a mobile phone but she insisted it be turned off for takeoff and landing. Inflight was fine.

I assume you are going to be filming it?
I think it depends on the cabin crew but they might not let you film the takeoff and landing. On the way up the attendant wasn't bothered but the on the way back the cabin crew stopped me. It might be because i was using a mobile phone but she insisted it be turned off for takeoff and landing. Inflight was fine.

Indeed. I’ll have my mobile phone and new camera so hopefully one of them will work/be allowed.

So it's reported that an announcement will be made tomorrow (see Flybe Airline thread) that Flybe will be taken over by a consortium composing Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Group and Cyrus Capital Partners. The price will value Flybe at around £20 million and will be significantly below today's closing pirce of 16.38 pence. Long term shareholders will lose a lot of money.

It obviously remains to be seen how all this will affect the CWL operation.

Hopefully it'll be positive for CWL and the Flybe operation will continue to grow!

Virgin and Stobart Group has been confirmed as buyers of Flybe at a reported fee of £2.2m in today's Independent Article. It has also highlighted the following

Owners
Virgin Atlantic - 30%
Stobart Group - 30%
Hedge Fund (Cyrus Capital Partners) - 40%

New company will be called Connect Airways however Flybe will be re-named after Virgin.

Details

- Immediate Cash Injection of £20m (Up to £80m available in further funding will be made available)
- Virgin Atlantic service excellence to Flybe's customers
- No promises about the future network however Flybe will continue to serve customers and communities across the UK and Ireland.
- Improved connectivity to Virgin Atlantic longhaul

Will be interesting to see what happens. Fingers crossed it'll be positive for Cardiff and other similar sized airport's. I have noticed that the routes like Rome still aren't onsale for October and beyond. Will also be a shame to lose the Flybe name.

Hasn't CWL got a 10-year agreement with Flybe? If the company is sold that might lapse. With the share price down to less than two pence this morning, and the Flybe board recommending that shareholders accept the deal from the Virgin consortium around that price, it confirms what many believed which was that Flybe was on the verge of collapse. That might well be the outcome if shareholders reject the recommendation unless another bidder came forward. Shareholders will get a few crumbs from this purchase. If Flybe went out of business they'd likely get nothing at all.

Either the successive boards and senior management teams were inept or the Flybe business plan in all its various guises since flotation in 2010 (at nearly three pounds a share!) was inherently flawed, which means that if the Virgin consortium does gain control they will have to look at what caused so much to go wrong. I'm sure they have their own ideas on that and it will be both fascinating and instructive to see what the overall plan is and how CWL fits in. As Jerry says, it could work well for airports such as CWL...............or not. Until matters become clearer the uncertainty will remain.

I meant to have added that if the main purpose of the Virgin vonsortium is to feed into Virgin's longhaul a CWL-MAN connection would seem extremely likely. We know it was strongyly rumoured a year or so ago to feed into Flybe's own network.

I meant to have added that if the main purpose of the Virgin vonsortium is to feed into Virgin's longhaul a CWL-MAN connection would seem extremely likely. We know it was strongyly rumoured a year or so ago to feed into Flybe's own network.

I was just about to make the same point. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if 'FlyVirgin' started MAN - CWL. The question is what kind of frequency? Would a daily flight offer any attractive connections and would double daily be too much?

I'm sure they have their own ideas on that and it will be both fascinating and instructive to see what the overall plan is and how CWL fits in. As Jerry says, it could work well for airports such as CWL...............or not. Until matters become clearer the uncertainty will remain.
It will be a case of wait and see but it could be very possible that CWL will lose the jets and get them replaced by the Q400s which hopefully would be the worst that happens and it could be possible they might get a MAN route. Another factor is the onboard product. Virgin is a full service airline i believe with a business class product while Flybe is a buy on board airline so it may well be possible Flybe goes to a complimentary onboard product to accomadate the business class product.

I was just about to make the same point. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if 'FlyVirgin' started MAN - CWL. The question is what kind of frequency? Would a daily flight offer any attractive connections and would double daily be too much?
Flybe operates Exeter-Manchester up to four times a day so I'd have thought that 2 x daily would not be a problem from CWL if the main intention is to feed the Virgin long haul from MAN. Timing of the latter will obviously be an important consideration into frequency/timings of any CWL-MAN operation.

For a route like CWL-MAN I'd have thought that 2 daily Monday to Friday would be needed at least.
Looking at Summer 2019 Rome, Milan, Venice, Verona and Munich all finish in September so I wonder if a double daily MAN route could be fitted in using the space created by those flights.
I do think that any hope of new European routes from Flybe may now not exist.

For a route like CWL-MAN I'd have thought that 2 daily Monday to Friday would be needed at least.
Looking at Summer 2019 Rome, Milan, Venice, Verona and Munich all finish in September so I wonder if a double daily MAN route could be fitted in using the space created by those flights.
I do think that any hope of new European routes from Flybe may now not exist.
Were these routes originally available to book through October? If not, the situation hasn't changed.

My wife, who takes little interest in aviation, asked me I knew that Flybe was being sold because she'd heard the ubiquitous Simon Calder on the BBC tv News earlier today saying something about Cardiff losing some routes as a result. She could only recall Milan being one but said there were others.

I suspect strongly that this is Mr Calder's personal opinion and he is probably reprising his remarks of last November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46225146

I note also that Peter Philips had his say in the linked BBC report of last November. I wondered what he's been doing since WAN ceased.

It is strange to me that Virgin would want to reduce routes (fair enough if they are not profitable) as there brand is less know to BA and it would be a great way to have it all over Europe.

It is strange to me that Virgin would want to reduce routes (fair enough if they are not profitable) as there brand is less know to BA and it would be a great way to have it all over Europe.
We really don't know what they have in mind. There is a body of opinion that thinks that their main aim in taking over Flybe is to use it to feed their long haul, particularly at MAN. Even if they increased those feeds around the country either with increased frequencies on existing Flybe routes and/or new feeder routes it seems likely that they would still have aircraft left to do other things.

The link with KLM/AF might be strengthened. Routes from CWL such as EDI, GLA, DUB, BHD and CDG would seem to be safe if Virgin wanted a good spread of domestic routes that make money. So far as CWL is concerned, I believe that the loan facility provided by the Welsh Government for its wholly-owned airport company has not been exhausted with several million pounds not yet drawn. That could be used to incentivise the new owners (assuming it's the Virgin consortium - Flybe shareholders still have to approve it) if it was thought necessary.

I always feel sorry for the staff in situations like this. The uncertainty as to how things will turn out is stressful in the extreme. It's people's livelihoods at stake.

Were these routes originally available to book through October? If not, the situation hasn't changed.
No they weren't originally available to book. They could be under review? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with them.

My wife, who takes little interest in aviation, asked me I knew that Flybe was being sold because she'd heard the ubiquitous Simon Calder on the BBC tv News earlier today saying something about Cardiff losing some routes as a result. She could only recall Milan being one but said there were others.
Mr Calder does seem to like comment on Cardiff a lot of the times not positively. Someone mentioned that he called it a random route but i doubt he'd feel the same if they operated it from say Southampton.
It could be positive for the airport. If the airport can strike a good deal with Flybe/Virgin then maybe instead it could lead to expansion and even in the long run long haul routes but maybe i'm being over positive!
The good thing is that Flybe will survive in some form and there is a good chance that the base at Cardiff will continue.

The difference with a MAN route now is that there is more long haul connectivity than back in Air Southwest days. With this venture there could be even more if the right hub can be created. I've always thought a MAN route from CWL wouldn't be viable, mainly due to the regular (albeit often packed) train service from the South. This changes things slightly. However is there enough demand even if VS does expand LH at MAN. CWL can only support 3x daily AMS currently. Would a double daily to MAN work with considerably less connections and point to point demand? I'm not so sure.
Given that it will likely only be USA routes VS would expand with at MAN, A single daily morning flight could work, arriving at say 8am in time for 10am+ transatlantic flights and also for flights arriving from the states between 5-7am. Any late flights likely wouldn't be connection friendly. Who knows? All speculation at the moment and I really can't see CWL being a priority fornany changes or announcements just yet.

Word on the street Faro is stopping.. I will try to find out more about it. Hope its wrong as it gives FR a bit of compition.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock