I would hope there would be increases in DUB and ORY, maybe even EDI and BHD.

If FR DUB increases by 1 flight a week to 5x weekly, that's another 19656 annual seats. If it went daily that would be 58968 seats.
If VY ORY increases by 2 flights a week to 4x weekly, that's another 45760 annual seats.
IF, and it's a big if, Wizz were to base another A321neo then potential for nearly 350k more seats which could push the seat offering to around 2m.

That would mean the airport would do roughly 1.1 million passengers in 2022.

If you look at CWL network it is mostly european short haul holiday destinations so i'd have thought they'd recover better than long haul travel would.
Most UK regional airports are predominantly short-haul so if 1.5 million eventuates either CWL is an outlier or the UK regional airports as a whole can look forward to what would be a remarkable turn-around.

1.5 million would be a fantastic result for 2022, it would be a massive shot in the arm for CWL.

It certainly would. CWL is yet to fully recover its pre-'noughties' recession passenger numbers (2.1 million in 2007). 2019's 1.65 million was the nearest it has come.

If CWL can rise from this year's total of probably around 100,000 (12 month total to the end of August was 63,000) it will be a staggering achievement and augur well for further significant growth in the years after that.

Most UK regional airports are predominantly short-haul so if 1.5 million eventuates either CWL is an outlier or the UK regional airports as a whole can look forward to what would be a remarkable turn-around.
Travel is getting easier and people haven't been holidaying abroad due to restrictions so hopefully people will start travelling again and the passenger numbers will go up especially on leisure routes. Some other short haul routes might take more time to recover if they rely on business travel.

I am still interested in the amount of executive flights between CWL and Shannon, G-IFIT overnighted on Sunday and Fly Wales came in from Haverfordwest and went out to Shannon, tonight both Fly Wales and G-IFIT came from Shannon, they must be conveying personnel between CWL and Shannon, doesn't usually stay for long at CWL. Perhaps Mathers Wales or someone working on the Southside of the airport can answer my interest.

Further to my above post, I have just been reading an article on the incoming chairman of The Shannon Group, the owners of Shannon Airport, and the aerospace technology park there, perhaps these flights have something to do with personnel visiting there.

Shannon does have a lot of maintenance facilities etc so it could be connected to that and of course there's Munster rugby in limerick so some could be sports related as well.

Summary of Summer 2022 so far sample 1st week in August. This what the departure boards will look like for what's onsale. All subject to change and doesn't include adhoc charters.
Monday

06.00 TUI Naples
06.05 KLM Cityhopper Amsterdam
06.10 Wizz Heraklion
06.20 TUI Menorca
06.25 TUI Corfu
07.35 Eastern Airways Anglesey
08.20 Loganair Edinburgh
09.30 TUI Antalya (Other Carrier)
09.55 KLM Cityhopper Amsterdam
10.45 Eastern Airways Belfast City
12.45 Vueling Alicante
13.45 TUI Tenerife
14.25 Ryanair Dublin
15.00 TUI Bourgas
15.10 TUI Dalaman
16.10 Eastern Airways Anglesey
16.35 Wizz Tenerife
17.15 Vueling Palma de Mallorca
17.15 KLM Cityhopper Amsterdam
Tuesday
06.00 TUI Alicante
06.00 TUI Palma de Mallorca
06.00 TUI Reus
06.10 Wizz Corfu
08.55 Vueling Malaga
12.45 Vueling Alicante
13.05 TUI Keffalonia
13.25 TUI Tenerife
14.30 TUI Zante
14.30 Wizz Larnaca
16.20 Loganair Edinburgh
17.30 Ryanair Faro
22.40 TUI Palma de Mallorca
Wednesday
06.00 TUI Kos
06.00 TUI Malaga
06.10 Wizz Heraklion
07.05 TUI Ibiza
08.55 Vueling Malaga
10.35 Ryanair Malaga
12.45 Vueling Alicante
14.00 TUI Rhodes
14.15 TUI Paphos
15.15 Ryanair Dublin
16.20 Loganair Edinburgh
16.25 TUI Dalaman
16.35 Wizz Tenerife
Thursday
06.00 TUI Lanzarote
06.10 Wizz Palma de Mallorca
06.20 TUI Dubrovnik
06.45 TUI Palma de Mallorca
08.55 Vueling Malaga
12.15 Wizz Alicante
12.45 Vueling Alicante
14.05 TUI Bourgas
14.45 TUI Antalya
16.00 TUI Dalaman
16.20 Loganair Edinburgh
18.30 Wizz Faro
Friday
05.30 TUI Menorca
06.00 TUI Enfidha
06.10 Wizz Heraklion
06.30 TUI Palma de Mallorca
12.10 TUI Zante
14.10 TUI Tenerife
13.20 TUI Corfu
14.45 Ryanair Dublin
15.10 Eastern Airways Anglesey
16.20 Loganair Edinburgh
16.35 Wizz Tenerife
17.55 Eastern Airways Belfast City
21.45 TUI Ibiza
Saturday
06.05 TUI Ibiza
06.15 TUI Palma de Mallorca
06.10 Wizz Corfu
07.00 TUI Alicante
09.00 Balkan Holidays Bourgas
09.45 KLM Cityhopper Amsterdam
12.45 Vueling Alicante
13.15 TUI Kos
13.15 Vueling Malaga
13.45 TUI Gran Canaria
14.30 Wizz Larnaca
15.10 TUI Rhodes
19.10 Ryanair Faro
Sunday
06.00 TUI Lanzarote
06.00 TUI Malaga
06.10 Wizz Palma de Mallorca
07.05 TUI Palma de Mallorca
12.15 Wizz Alicante
12.45 Vueling Alicante
14.25 TUI Paphos
14.35 Ryanair Dublin
15.15 Eastern Airways Belfast City
15.35 TUI Heraklion
15.55 TUI Larnaca
17.20 Ryanair Malaga
18.30 Wizz Faro
20.55 Loganair Edinburgh

With reference to post #2867 Monday will see 19 departures, Tuesday will see 19 departures, Wednesday 20 departures, Thursday will see 19 departures, Friday 17 departures, Saturday 14 departures and Sunday 16 departures. Totalling 124 weekly departures from Cardiff Airport.

I am still interested in the amount of executive flights between CWL and Shannon, G-IFIT overnighted on Sunday and Fly Wales came in from Haverfordwest and went out to Shannon, tonight both Fly Wales and G-IFIT came from Shannon, they must be conveying personnel between CWL and Shannon, doesn't usually stay for long at CWL. Perhaps Mathers Wales or someone working on the Southside of the airport can answer my interest.
I’m not aware of the specifics for each visitor and should I know it is not something to share in a public forum.

Knowing G-IFIT owners my guess is it could be aircraft related as maybe they not using St Athan as airfield would be closed at these certain times.

Fly Wales operate charters and medical flights so can’t guess what it could be. It could either be or just a private charter.

@Jerry thanks for your sample of flights for summer in August 22. I didn't see the Vueling flights to ORY though. Were they left out for any reason?

@Jerry thanks for your sample of flights for summer in August 22. I didn't see the Vueling flights to ORY though. Were they left out for any reason?
Not onsale for the summer. Hopefully they will go onsale and can be added at a later date.

A very detailed look at CWL past, present and future, based on interviews with the airport CEO and airport company chairman. I've summarised below a few of the points thrown up.

+ CWL is said to be currently at 10% of its pre-Covid passenger levels compared with a UK average of 35%. That seems to be based on August 2021's passenger numbers compared with August 2019 or might be on the as yet unpublished figures for September 2021 vis-a-vis September 2019. If it's August the figure is actually 8.2% for CWL. The comparison between the rolling 12-month total for February 2020 (the last month before the pandemic skewed numbers) and the 12-month rolling total at August 2021 is just 3.8% for CWL. The article suggests that the reason for CWL being so far below the UK average is the UK government's less stringent guidance on international travel - at English airports (my italics).

+ The airport CEO hopes to have 15 routes operating by the end of this financial year and 25 in 2022.

+ The airport CEO says that senior executives at private sector airports 'envy the stability position' at CWL where the government ownership is '100% game for an airport being in existence because they know the economic value of having one'.

+ The airport CEO believes it will take five years to full recovery which he says is in line with airports across the UK. He hinted that some other airports might not be around in 5-6 years time.

+ In a 'typical year' it takes £17 million to operate the airport. The government has provided £42 million that can be drawn down over five years so other revenue streams are needed simply to remain operational. They are looking at a range of non-passenger revenue streams that are outlined in the article.

+ The book value of the airport is £13 million at the moment, much less than the £52 million the government paid for it. However, if it was sold it would likely be for a much greater sum than £13 million. There was certainly no suggestion that a sale is likely or that the government has changed its policy of keeping it under state ownership and control, although it was conjectured that a partner might be involved at some point in the years ahead.

+ Qatar Airways has told the airport that they will return 'when the time is right'. The airport still has contact with potential carriers to North America but its priority is to secure the return of the 52 pre-Covid routes first.

These are just a few things that I picked out. There are more and the article is worth a read for anyone interested in the airport.

I found it interesting that they are talking positively to both Vueling and Ryanair, perhaps there may be something more to come from them.

It was a very interesting interview. Was there a hint that we could see Jersey back for Summer 2022? Also they mentioned trying to level out airline/passenger revenue with other aviation related revenue to intially 50/50 citing how Bournemouth has 75% of it's revenue from other aviation related revenue. I noticed that the only airline they didn't seem to mention was TUI?

Perhaps it was because TUI are well established at CWL, and have no competition in the inclusive tours market. I think we'll see Jersey back in 2022, if not before. On another mattter, I perused the windows of the travel agents in my local town centre this week, all Hays Travel adverts except one were for Jet2 at BRS, Travel House also had large Jet2 posters in their window advertising BRS, TUI was obviously only advertising their own holidays. Why don't CWL marketing department, try and persuade South Wales agents to push more trade CWL's way. Of course it could be a question of higher commission being paid by other airports and airlines to agents for their sales. which CWL cannot compete with.

Perhaps it was because TUI are well established at CWL, and have no competition in the inclusive tours market. I think we'll see Jersey back in 2022, if not before. On another mattter, I perused the windows of the travel agents in my local town centre this week, all Hays Travel adverts except one were for Jet2 at BRS, Travel House also had large Jet2 posters in their window advertising BRS, TUI was obviously only advertising their own holidays. Why don't CWL marketing department, try and persuade South Wales agents to push more trade CWL's way. Of course it could be a question of higher commission being paid by other airports and airlines to agents for their sales. which CWL cannot compete with.
Jet2 seem particularly aggressive in their advertising. Before the announcement of their Bristol Airport base they regularly took full-page advertisements in the West Country edition of the Metro newspaper listing their services from Birmingham Airport. That's not meant to sound like a criticism. It's good business practice as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't CWL marketing department, try and persuade South Wales agents to push more trade CWL's way.
In the interview they said many of their staff were on secondment to the welsh government so possibly the staff who were responsible for that are some of those people.
Jet2 seem particularly aggressive in their advertising.
Did a run to Dorchester today and for quite a bit i listened to a south west commercial radio station and it felt like every other advert was for Jet2 holidays, not the airline but the holidays brand. It'll be interesting to see how Jet2 effect TUI at both airports. From a Cardiff point of view i do hope the effect on TUI at CWL is minimal.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock